Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : GL-Class : GL550 impressions

Page 1 of 1 1
GL550 impressions
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/3/2008 10:38 AM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
GL550 impressions

I was at the Michigan International Auto Show which takes place in Grand Rapids today. The dealer luckily brought in a an Arctic White/Macadamia GL550. Obviously I couldn't drive it. 

1. Styling - It is unbelievably gorgeous in person. I thought it was the sexiest thing on Earth next to Alessandra Ambrosio in the pictures, but in person it still falls behind her, but it closes the gap a bit.  Compared to the GL450, which I saw last year, this one is a whole different beast altogether. MB definitely got it right with the GL550 in order to compete with the Escalade, LX570, and Navigator. It's aggressive, but can be understated enough with the chrome blending in with the white a bit (which could be a good thing if you don't feel like standing out sometimes). I think the LX570 looks great, but the wheels are tucked in too far and for an SUV that large and wide it just looks awkward. I also remember the grille being ugly when I first saw pictures, then I grew to like it. Now I love it. The running boards look great too and help to get in, but I found it to be a little annoying when getting out. It would brush up on my jeans since I don't need it to get down. It doesn't stick out far enough to use as a down step.

2. Overall interior - The leather isn't as plush and soft to the touch as that in the LX570, but it feels like it'll last much longer be more durable. Probably better choice of leather being an SUV and if you have kids. Great layout for everything. None of the controls required much arm extension to use. I also loved the fact that the second row had the fold down buttons for the rear seats too. I also saw on the Roadfly video that when tumbling the rear right seat forward, the front passenger seat would move up automatically. Little things like these make it great. The doors also had a nice thunk to it. Very solid, German, tank-like feel to it. I love the leather dash too and the stitching.

3. Driver's seat - Great view and visibility from the driver's seat. I'm only 5'3" but even with the seat pushed back and down I never felt like I would be lost in the cabin somewhere. Looking down at the vent fins and the bulges in the hood is very "wow" feeling. If I was behind the wheel I'd be speeding every time I saw those to remind me of what's under the hood. The only downside I could find was the mirror size, especially considering the size of the mirror housing. Not a big deal unless you do some towing.

4. Second row - Lots of room in the middle row seats. My friend who is 6-something and has a hard time finding any SUV to fit him found it very comfortable in the second row as well. Enough room for him to stretch out a little bit. Love having the RES in the back of the headrests too. I hate the neck strain of having the screen mounted on the ceiling in the middle. Headroom in the Navigator is pitiful. As short as I am, I know I'd hit my head on the ceiling if it ever hit a large bump. Felt claustrophobic as well in the Navigator.

5. Third row - Very easy for me to get in and out of. Then again I'm a small kid. I had my brother sit with me in the back and we had more than enough room to be comfortable. I LOVE the glass roof in the third row. The light it lets in gets rid of the claustrophobic feeling common in closed off third row seats in many vehicles. It brightens up the back and adds makes it feel like there's more room.

Overall I think it's a great SUV and a serious contender for the other full-sizers. If only I got to drive it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/3/2008 11:59 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: GL550 impressions

Worthless thread without pics! Pics in 24 hours or I'll delete!
#107944 - in reply to #107935
Author
Posted 2/3/2008 12:26 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899

cmitch - 2/3/2008 11:59 AM Worthless thread without pics! Pics in 24 hours or I'll delete!
My mom took the good camera with her to California and I forgot I still had my old digicam somewhere in my room.
#107949 - in reply to #107944
Author
Posted 2/4/2008 1:12 PM
lkchris
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): '07 GL320CDI, '06 E320CDI

MB definitely got it right with the GL550 in order to compete with the Escalade, LX570, and Navigator.

Sad, but probably true.

None of these makers make anything that competes with any Mercedes IMHO. 

#108118 - in reply to #107935
Author
Posted 2/4/2008 5:20 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

I guess I'm going to have to post one from the New York Auto show:

(2008_MercedesBenz_GL550.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2008_MercedesBenz_GL550.jpg (33KB - 6 downloads)
#108174 - in reply to #107935
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1