Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : GL-Class : Saw a new GL today 2

Page 1 of 1 1
Saw a new GL today 2
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 9:53 PM
Naomilla2.0

Date registered: Dec 1899
Saw a new GL today 2

Saw a silver one on display at the local mall.  Was parked at atrium by the foot of down escalator so I had a good view from above as well as from eye level.  In fact, I went back upstairs just so that I can view the car from above again.  Quite handsomely appointed IMO, yet perhaps because of my attachment to W126 and classic MB design, something seems amiss.  For all I know, one could have rebadged the GL with Acura, Lexus, or even Hyundai insignia and the vehicle could have passed as such.  It looked so generic that one will never be able to identify it in a mall or stadium parking lot like the way one can with classic Benzes (even when those classic Benzes were in active production, one could easily distinguish one out of a sea of many parked vehicles).

That being said, it still is a decent looking vehicle.  The one on display had rear privacy glass that made it hard to see inside even under the direct sunlight coming through clerestoreys of the atrium.  Perhaps the second row was pushed forward but it looked like there wasn't enough legroom for the passengers of that row.  Seen from above, the dip on each side between the front center grille and headlights was very sharp; I liked the resulting sharp, muscular definition of the hood that breaks up the otherwise vast area that tend to get bland and flat as in Jeep Cherokee hood.  The rims were huge - it looked like 20" on those.

What would people who buy GL haul?  I have a feeling it would be driven by suburban mothers to shuttle their brats to and from school and other activities, but for the 90% of the time, it would be just the latte-sipping cellphone-toting bitch mothers who don't even bother to use turn signals when changing lanes or turning, and taking up two parking spaces because they simply lack the spatial coordination.  It's all because the Joneses already drive Honda Pilot, Land Cruiser, LR3 or XC90...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 5:47 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Saw a new GL today 2

Nice little review Nao. The "muscular definition of the hood that breaks up the otherwise vast area" is what I think is some sort of safety feature. Like a crumple zone type thing upon impact with a pedestrian.

The GL might haul quite a bit. Especially for those who need the 7 seats and the 7,500 lb towing capacity.

Right now I'm trying to imagine a guy going up and down the escalators again and again to look at the car.
#10826 - in reply to #10505
Author
Posted 5/13/2006 10:53 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: It is one SWEET ride!

I got to look over a GL450 at Crown Mercedes in Birmingham. Truly a work of art, this beauty was black with chrome trim and grey leather interior. It had 2 sunroofs. The front retracted while the rear appeared to be only a stationary glass top. It came with a child safety seat. As I walked around admiring it's curves, I, well, I'll save what I did in my drawers for the OT! I love that roomy interior! One thing true to form: It had less than a few hundred miles on it and the wheels were black with brake dust.
#11981 - in reply to #10505
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 5:11 PM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)
Re: Saw a new GL today 2

I like the front, I like the rear, but I don't like the side. The GL too long and way too low to the ground to be considered a serious contender off the beaten path.

Edited by BrentG500 5/14/2006 5:12 PM
#12149 - in reply to #10505
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 7:41 AM
Roch207
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2005 E320 CDI, 2010 Silverado 2500HD
RE: Saw a new GL today 2

So long as it maintains that tow rating with the 320 CDI, it will become a weekend work horse. Towing the trailer, picking up grain and trips to the hardware store.

(gb_1994 w horse.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments gb_1994 w horse.gif (83KB - 1 downloads)
#14064 - in reply to #10505
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1