Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W220 S Class : STOP! CAR TOO LOW!

Page 1 of 1 1
STOP! CAR TOO LOW!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/19/2009 5:24 AM
louisv

Date registered: Dec 1899
STOP! CAR TOO LOW!

The message: "STOP, CAR TOO LOW!" comes up on my S320 CDi from time to time. Specially after a few days of not using the car and during the first 20 - 30 kilometers and when I hit a bit of a bump in the road. It normally rises again while driving. When the message comes up and I stop the suspensionis is actually right down and the tyres almost touch the body.

MB service dealer could not find the problem. Any advice?

Thanks,

Louis

Edited by louisv 8/19/2009 5:46 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/4/2009 9:21 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz
RE: STOP! CAR TOO LOW!

Often an Airmatic Strut leak.

Are all four corners sinking similarly or is one more than the others?

#156649 - in reply to #155757
Author
Posted 9/5/2009 1:27 AM
louisv

Hi Marsden

Thanks for the response and your opinon is in line with the gut feeling I had. My theory is that from standing a seal becomes hard or dry and that is when the problem occurs and when it softens up the seal softens up and seats better???

It would appear as if the two front wheels are affected by this problem - not sure about the rear wheels. Are there two separate/independant lines or pressure systems for front and rear that could have this effect or is the whole system linked?

Looking forward to your reply - any assitance will be welcomed.

Thanks

Louis van der Vyver
South Africa

#156662 - in reply to #155757
Author
Posted 9/5/2009 1:12 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz

My car has the ABC so I don't know too much about Airmatic.

However I've heard that you can test for leaks at the top of the front struts with a small amount of water...you'll see it bubbling at any (broken) seal on top of the strut tower.  (The car would have to be running...) It's pretty common on W220s.  Among people I've heard this from are the techs at my dealer.  They corrected me when I suggested this method for the ABC

If anyone has more specific information, please chime in as I'm not expert in this matter!

#156690 - in reply to #155757
Author
Posted 10/23/2009 6:56 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500 LWB, 1980 280GE SWB (Sold), S500

louisv - 8/19/2009 4:24 AM The message: "STOP, CAR TOO LOW!" comes up on my S320 CDi from time to time. Specially after a few days of not using the car and during the first 20 - 30 kilometers and when I hit a bit of a bump in the road. It normally rises again while driving. When the message comes up and I stop the suspensionis is actually right down and the tyres almost touch the body. MB service dealer could not find the problem. Any advice? Thanks, Louis

Our 2000 S500 has done that once that I know. It sat for months (was parents car) and the battery, etc ... had discharged. All 4 corners were down as low as you describe. Once I started it and let it run for a half hour all was well and seems to have stayed that way. As it only has 48K miles on it, I'll probably take it over all together. Don't know that what I have offered is any help for your problem, but let us know what you find please! Good luck!

#159051 - in reply to #155757
Author
Posted 10/24/2009 12:48 AM
louisv

Re: STOP! CAR TOO LOW!

Hi Marsden and Indiana

Sorry for not responding earlier. With the thread being quite inactive I bacame a bit absent.

This thing is still baffling everybody. On a recent trip it played its tricks regularly over three days. Then I took it to the agents and told them to keep it until they have found the problem. A whole week - No problems!! Took it back and on the second day - there it was again. Thereafter however it never occured again to this day and it is now about two weeks later.

Sorry - no solution yet.

Edited by louisv 10/24/2009 12:50 AM
#159064 - in reply to #155757
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1