Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : Mercedes-Benz Safety and Testimonials : Accident in front of my house

Page 1 of 1 1
Accident in front of my house
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 10:16 PM
Naomilla2.0

Date registered: Dec 1899
Accident in front of my house

I live midway down the long hill where the road slopes, then levels, and slopes again for several iterations.  The trouble is that the topography creates blind spots for drivers taking the road.

There is a crossroad two properties away from our driveway entrance.  My neighbor's daughter was about to make a left turn at the crossoads which is at the bottom of a slope.  A Jeep Commander has slowed down behind her to make a right turn.  Two cars at the bottom of the slope after a level part, making it difficult for the traffic that followed to spot them, but stoppable in most cases as long as the drivers are within 35mph limit posted.  However, they were unlucky as the young female driver, apparently busy with her cellphone and coming down evidently at 50mph or so down the hill didn't see them in time and smashed right into the back of the Commander which then pushed the Jeep forward and bumped into the Neighbor's daughter's Civic.

Turns out she was driving with an 'international license' most likely expired and most likely uninsured. Her car, no offense to iNeon but a Neon slipped under the Jeep and the whole front end was flattened.  The Commander seemed to have sustained no damage upon one look but I'm sure it's rear suspension and underside must be a mess.  The Civic had rear bumper pushed in and rear quarter panels pushed out to the side.  Luckily, nobody was hurt but when I arrived at the scene two minutes after it had taken place and found out what had happened, I had nothing but to give the girl a dirty look as it was entirely her fault as she was speeding and paying no attention to the road ahead.  There was absolutely no skid marks at the accident scene.  I was further inflamed by the fact that she was an uninsured driver - this coming a week after an 18-yr old uninsured, unlicensed illegal alien smashed into the house of my daughter's teacher's house - but let's save the illegal alien issue for another forum.

I am nervous whenever I need to make a turn and there is an idiot tailgating me with phone in his or her hand.  I don't care, I actually slow down to a crawl well before making a turn so that they are forced to slow down before I make the turn.  I can see them cursing over the phone and pointing at me (funny how people gesture to their conversation partners over the phone) but it's the only way to keep these idiots from slamming into the back of my car asI need to come to a stop or to make a turn.

Does anyone have any constructive deterrent to tailgaters (other than to pull over and let them pass) and people whose attention is diluted because of their cellphones?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 12:15 AM
iNeon

Re: Accident in front of my house

Aww nao-- I don't take offense. They are small, inexpensive cars-- you, of all people should know that cars squish more now than ever, and it is supposed to be beneficial to the occupants. What do you expect from a small car rear ending a giant suv like a commander, though?!? Even without the car nosediving, it would be hard to imagine that the neon would at all contact the rear bumper on an suv. It is one of the things that needs to be addressed in modern automobiles, they claim that a 5mph bumper is needed, but don't care how high(or low) that bumper is!

I'll say that my mother and sister were in a 1996 sunroof sedan and they were hit head-on at around 50mph for each automobile involved, by a geo prism with no insurance.

My sister was not wearing her safety belt and was 8.5 months pregnant with my niece at the time. The engine broke all the toes on one foot and she has a pin in her knee from how far back everything came, but mother came through with absolutely no injuries at all.

Poor leon Sr. though... Maybe I'll find the pictures mother took. The car did what it was designed to do, and did it reasonably well for something that cost $14k new. *never* needed a single repair in 70k miles, either heh heh

Iunno about how to keep people off your tail, though. Once, I slammed on my brakes and the girl whos headlights I couldn't see in my rear view mirror surprised me with her reaction time! That isn't the right way to go about it, though.
#15261 - in reply to #15227
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 1:19 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320
RE: Accident in front of my house

To stop tailgaters, buy a diesel and don't clean the injectors then down shift so your rpm shoots through the roof. The cloud of smoke should keep them back.
#15277 - in reply to #15227
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 1:29 AM
iNeon

NZ Benz - 5/23/2006 12:19 AM

down shift so your rpm shoots through the roof. The cloud of smoke should keep them back. :biggrin:

And your wallet empty from the transmission rebuilds and engine problems.

With a diesel, you know you won't win any races-- so why bother to try? Most of the time(in a diesel) people just fly around you and act like you're doing it on purpose. Sometimes, if they're a real ass, they even brakecheck you on a hill.
#15282 - in reply to #15277
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 1:38 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

iNeon - 5/23/2006 1:29 AM

NZ Benz - 5/23/2006 12:19 AM

down shift so your rpm shoots through the roof. The cloud of smoke should keep them back. :biggrin:

And your wallet empty from the transmission rebuilds and engine problems.

With a diesel, you know you won't win any races-- so why bother to try? Most of the time(in a diesel) people just fly around you and act like you're doing it on purpose. Sometimes, if they're a real ass, they even brakecheck you on a hill.

This guy at school had a diesel c class it has something like a 2L or a1.8L in it and was an auto . He used to be known for taking corners too wide because he didn't want to slow down I never rode in it but apparantly it was a real shocker for acceleration.
#15288 - in reply to #15282
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 1:44 AM
iNeon

Diesels don't accelerate-- they accumulate =)
#15289 - in reply to #15288
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 1:57 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

iNeon - 5/23/2006 1:44 AM

Diesels don't accelerate-- they accumulate =)

You mean they are slow?
#15290 - in reply to #15289
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 2:52 AM
iNeon

Nosir-- just that they need time to attain terminal velocity heh heh

Diesels are best on open roads, especially the old heavy ones that kinda sail=)
#15298 - in reply to #15290
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 4:33 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

iNeon - 5/23/2006 2:52 AM

Nosir-- just that they need time to attain terminal velocity heh heh

Diesels are best on open roads, especially the old heavy ones that kinda sail=)

Yea I know iNeon just joshing you.
#15303 - in reply to #15298
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 11:03 AM
phoenix44

You can always just apply light pressure to your brake pedal, the light comes on before the calipers actually contact the rotors.

You could hang your local police force ball cap in your rear window?

You could, (like I wan to sometimes) get a Romulan Disruptor and blast them into vapour.

You could get some stickers from your local police dept. and stick them on your back window.

You could hit the nitros button
#15356 - in reply to #15227
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 10:21 AM
cmitch
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

Naomilla2.0 - 5/22/2006 9:16 PM

Does anyone have any constructive deterrent to tailgaters (other than to pull over and let them pass) and people whose attention is diluted because of their cellphones?

If you hate for tailgaters is passionate, then so will be this solution. Rig up your windshield washer to where you have REAR facing spray nozzles. Fashion them into your rear bumper and mix a solution of Joy Dishwashing detergent and water (half and half). When they get too close, spray their ass with the thick viscous liquid and when they attempt to wipe it off their windshield, it will smear causing them to have to pull over or, better yet, wreck, killing everyone inside!

#15634 - in reply to #15227
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 2:54 PM
Misfit

I have always lived rural - in the same slow down to turn situation on a rural road, I usually use the hazard lights for three or four flashes before the plain turn signal ......
#15689 - in reply to #15227
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 5:11 PM
AsianML

iNeon are you referring to older undestructable diesels, or the new ones?

Hehe, I was thinking more along the lines of putting reflective tape in the shape or pattern of whichever object you like, like the middle finger perhaps. Of course, this is only good at night.
#15760 - in reply to #15689
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 6:01 PM
iNeon

New diesels might be fast and terribly efficient, but no aluminum-blocked diesel can last so long as one manufactured of cast iron.

Since the late 80s, diesels have lost the longevity war due to the way modern engines are manufactured-- I'll bet no tdi or cdi will ever break the 300,000 mile mark, they're built for efficiency, not longevity.
#15779 - in reply to #15760
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 11:31 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz

cmitch - 5/24/2006 10:21 AM 

If you hate for tailgaters is passionate, then so will be this solution. Rig up your windshield washer to where you have REAR facing spray nozzles. Fashion them into your rear bumper and mix a solution of Joy Dishwashing detergent and water (half and half). When they get too close, spray their ass with the thick viscous liquid and when they attempt to wipe it off their windshield, it will smear causing them to have to pull over or, better yet, wreck, killing everyone inside!

Um, have you actually tried this??  

You can probably adjust the aim on your washers without relocating them btw... of course they would then be useless to you otherwise, but it would be a lot easier...

#15872 - in reply to #15634
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 8:44 PM
BenzDieselTuner

iNeon - 5/24/2006 6:01 PM

New diesels might be fast and terribly efficient, but no aluminum-blocked diesel can last so long as one manufactured of cast iron.

Since the late 80s, diesels have lost the longevity war due to the way modern engines are manufactured-- I'll bet no tdi or cdi will ever break the 300,000 mile mark, they're built for efficiency, not longevity.

funny u say that........

over in Germany, i have heard of a more than a few TDi's going way past 1 million kilometers, and beyond...........

all the delivery vehicles, construction vans, delivery cars, GOLFS, etc.................

they do have to be maintained though, like any vehicle...........
#16236 - in reply to #15779
Author
Posted 5/27/2006 4:59 AM
storm

Nao
this is one of the main reasons why i choose to drive a (well protected) landrover defender as my daily driver.....
#16780 - in reply to #15227
Author
Posted 6/22/2006 1:18 AM
sin0822

i like to presso n the break a little and the gas but the gas more, it works every time.

Oh and i also have subs and believe me, people back the fuck off when you turn it up so your shit vibrates and makes noise, lol.
#25570 - in reply to #15227
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 8:46 AM
mtiede

sin0822 - 6/22/2006 1:18 AM

i like to presso n the break a little and the gas but the gas more, it works every time.

I tried this once. I won't do it again. I was in a 3 lane interstate in an area where there are lots of merging on-ramps. So I was running in the middle lane to avoid all the mergers on the right and the speeders on the left. 2 other cars came up going only slightly faster than me on either side effectively blocking all 3 lanes (at the speed limit). I could see in my rear view mirror a car approaching very fast. Instead of getting in the left or right lanes to pass me since the other 2 cars were going faster than me, he sat on my ass. I had a Mercury Sable at the time. I could not see his headlights in my rear view mirror. I decided if I put one foot on the brake pedal to turn the brake lights on and one on the accelerator, he would realize he should keep some distance.

He didn't budge off my rear end. I would guess he was half a car length behind me. I then let the car slow down very slightly so the other cars would pass me quicker. When one finally did, the guy behind me quickly zoomed around me to the left and then cut in front of me. He probably missed my front bumper by 2 feet. Then he moved ahead of me a little and then slammed the brakes full on. I had to stand on my brakes to avoid hitting him and the brakes locked and the car started skidding sideways.

I was worried about the traffic coming up behind me. Then he moved on so I let up on the brake pedal and straightened out in time for him to jam on the brakes again. He did it 3 times before moving on.

Not an episode I want to repeat. Wish I had had the presence of mind to get a license plate, but didn't and don't know what I would do with it anyway.

So I don't suggest the tap the brakes technique. Best technique would be a gun. But I'm not sure that is allowed.
#28716 - in reply to #25570
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 9:30 AM
BenzDieselTuner

sin0822 - 6/22/2006 1:18 AM

Oh and i also have subs and believe me, people back the fuck off when you turn it up so your shit vibrates and makes noise, lol.

lol
#28725 - in reply to #25570
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1