Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : Classic Mercedes-Benz : Remove Backseat for a Bigger Trunk

Page 1 of 1 1
Remove Backseat for a Bigger Trunk
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/15/2012 10:46 PM
sharething
New user

Date registered: Mar 2012

Remove Backseat for a Bigger Trunk

I'm new the forum as well as to W123's and I don't yet own one so forgive me; I have a simple question:

Is there any W123 model (I don't care which one) on which it might be possible to remove the back seat and cut a hole in the body to connect the passenger compartment and the trunk so as to fit large objects in?

more specifically….
1. What does removing the back seat involve? Which tools are required?
2. Is it possible to simply reinstall the back seat, or would it more-or-less a permanent modification?
3. Can the trunk be connected to the back seat area (i.e. a hole cut, maybe with a cutting torch?) without causing the whole body to fall apart under stress when it's driven?
4. Is the body cross-section such that doing so will give me a fairly flat surface from the trunk to the back seat area?

If you know the answer to these questions for ANY of the many models based on W123, please post here! Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/18/2012 8:54 AM
Ron B

Date registered: Mar 2012

RE: Remove Backseat for a Bigger Trunk

yes,the station wagon. The seats fold flat so you carry stuff from front to rear insdie. a lot of stuff. Mine still has it's screen and blind which rolls out to cover the cargo or acts as a screen to prevent objects flying foward . You cant cut a hole in a sedan because the fuel tank is there.
#201736 - in reply to #201630
Author
Posted 5/1/2012 6:52 AM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350
Re: Remove Backseat for a Bigger Trunk

The first W123 Wagon was built in 1978 and continued production until 1985. They are roomy enough to haul just about anything! Several versions were made but the one most commonly found is the 300TD Turbo-Diesel in the U.S.
#203211 - in reply to #201630
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1