Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : squeek in roof.. kinda annoying

Page 1 of 1 1
squeek in roof.. kinda annoying
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 12:29 AM
da_nailgun

Date registered: Dec 1899
squeek in roof.. kinda annoying

I think i have a squeek coming from either circle 1 or 2 on the drivers side only.
Anyone know of any simple fixes / adjustments I can easily do myself?

Edited by da_nailgun 5/29/2006 12:30 AM

(squeek.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments squeek.jpg (49KB - 4 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 6:08 AM
RonJeffries

RE: squeek in roof.. kinda annoying

Don't know any fixes, but I think I'd put the top partway and look around in there for things to adjust and lubricate. There might be some little bumper things that could use some silicone lube or the like.

That reminds me, I better schedule my Service B ...
#17197 - in reply to #17162
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 2:37 AM
Beleriand

Ron, when you start talking about "looking around" for "things to lubricate" it makes me nervous. Restrain yourself.

Both my SLK350 and my current SLK55 all rattled and shook a lot. This is especially true if you have larger - aftermarket wheels with thin tires. It is the one serious knock I have on this car. Porsche just seems more well put together and solid. You are certainly not alone with this gripe. With my SLK350 I kept taking it back to the dealer until they finally fixed all the noises. Then I traded it in for the SLK55 and the process started all over again. Like a lot of SLK owners, I have just learned to live with the creaking and rattling. Now, I just turn the stereo up until I can't hear it anymore.

Edited by Beleriand 6/15/2006 2:42 AM
#23281 - in reply to #17162
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 7:18 AM
mtiede

da_nailgun - 5/29/2006 12:29 AM

I think i have a squeek coming from either circle 1 or 2 on the drivers side only.
Anyone know of any simple fixes / adjustments I can easily do myself?

I think MB has some special sort of lubricant that can be put on the rubber to make it not squeak so much. Seems like it was mentioned in a TSB.

I think when I had the SLK320 they talked about using talcum powder as a dry but anti-squeak application. However, I think the SLK350 recommended something that sounded like silicon lubricant.

FWIW, neither my SLK 320 nor the SLK 350 have made such squeaks.
#23322 - in reply to #17162
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 9:24 AM
Dinoman

My top creaks and groans, particularly at the rear. I'd go with Beleriand's advice. I have found that the fewer times I take a car in for warranty work (I'd never mess with it myself, especially something as complicated as the Vario Roof), the more I enjoy the car. It also results in a lot fewer mystery screws being found in unlikely places. Dinoman
#23337 - in reply to #17162
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 11:17 AM
Ynot

mtiede - 6/15/2006 5:18 AM FWIW, neither my SLK 320 nor the SLK 350 have made such squeaks.

I have to agree, mine has not squeak or made any rattle noise, only a few members talked about it being a problem, there are many who post and hundreds who lurk and are quick to post if it applies to them and yet I could only recall fewer than 10 that has complained about the problem. I am satified with the quality of my SLK.

#23354 - in reply to #23322
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 5:18 PM
etyu

Re: squeek in roof.. kinda annoying

No such noise or squeak on mine, but then the car has only 1800 miles and is 11 weeks old.
#23505 - in reply to #23354
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 10:28 PM
bclark

Dinoman - 6/15/2006 8:24 AM

fewer times I take a car in for warranty work, the more I enjoy the car. It also results in a lot fewer mystery screws being found in unlikely places. Dinoman

You, too? I have found screws, a drill bit, a large panel of some sort, and a small
black hard plastic cover type thingy all laying around when I've picked up my car
after its many visits over 18 mos. Kinda unsettling.
#23641 - in reply to #23337
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 10:37 PM
bmetz

Just wanted to jump in and say that -- so far! -- no rattles or squeeks here.

Edited by bmetz 6/15/2006 10:38 PM
#23646 - in reply to #17162
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 11:16 PM
gmabli

Re: squeek in roof.. kinda annoying

My first post on this forum - been hanging out on the BenzWorld for the past year or so.

I had the seals lubricated by MB (covered under warranty) and the squeaking stopped. That was about 6 mo. ago and it needs it again.

Also... There seems to be a lot of rattling/creaking coming from the rear deck. Anyone else hear that??
#26823 - in reply to #17162
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 6:47 AM
mtiede

bclark - 6/15/2006 10:28 PM
I have found screws, a drill bit, a large panel of some sort, and a small
black hard plastic cover type thingy all laying around when I've picked up my car
after its many visits over 18 mos. Kinda unsettling.

Warning: topic drift.

My first owned vehicle was a 1972 VW camper. I used to do a lot of my own maintenance on that air-cooled rear engine van. Had a dual carburetor system that I did the air flow balancing on. Also had manual valves that I laid under the car in the apartment parking lot to set. I took the van in for something once and got it back. I was just looking into the engine compartment and just perusing it and studying what all was in there. Suddenly I noticed a part that I didn't really know what its function was. It was a large flat shiny metal piece near the rear of the engine compartment. I reached over to touch it to see what it was and what it connected to and I lifted it up. It wasn't connected to anything! In fact, it was a large box wrench! I'm not sure what size it was, but it was huge!

The mechanic apparently laid it in there and forgot it. I don't know what such a large wrench would even fit. But it could easily have rattled around and fallen down into the area where the aluminum squirrel fan that connected directly to the drive shaft was. Luckily that area was protected by a plastic grid to prevent such things falling in there.

Talk about unsettling.
#26873 - in reply to #23641
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 8:45 AM
Dinoman

I used to think that every U.S. auto plant had a number of people whose only job was to place a screw, washer or some such other small article in an area where it would not immediately be found upon delivery of a new vehicle. This is akin to dropping a coin under the driver's seat of a new car, only to trade the car years down the road, never having been able to retrieve it, but often being aware of its presence under less than ideal pavement conditions. In a real-life parallel, when the GM Lordstown, Ohio plant began producing the late and unlamented Vega in 1970, amid some labor unrest, some autoworkers sabotaged vehicles by in fact leaving small articles in hard-to-access areas. I think that the only way those items were removed was when nearby body panels rusted through in a year or so! How's that for getting off-topic?! Dinoman
#26888 - in reply to #23641
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 9:18 PM
Duo-Art

Perhaps that's one more reason why many of us don't drive GM built vehicles.
#27073 - in reply to #26888
Author
Posted 7/3/2006 11:32 PM
mtiede

I remember my father telling a story of a car that had a rattle. I don't remember the brand but it was either Cadillac or Benz, I think. And this could be an urban legend too, but it goes back a long time. Anyway, the car had a rattle the owner couldn't pinpoint. Took it to dealer and they couldn't either. They got the owner to leave it with them and started tearing it apart. They finally found a Coke bottle when they CUT OPEN THE FRAME!

I assume the owner got a new frame or car or something.
#28596 - in reply to #27073
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1