Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : Classic Mercedes-Benz : 124 OM603 engine electrical issues

Page 1 of 1 1
124 OM603 engine electrical issues
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/6/2013 3:41 PM
LeoGionnaire
New user

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle(s): 460 OM60?, 460 OM617A PTO

124 OM603 engine electrical issues

My 87 124 manual OM603 failed to start last week. No real urgency to fix just thought somebody may know a potential culprit:

So I went and replaced 2 glow plugs I knew to be faulty. Was swinging fast, but still wouldnt start. Pulled it with a pickup and it started quickly. Went over all connections and after tightening some wires/ and connections it started fine. Next day IT started up fine but then the heavy fuse on the glow plug relay shorted out. Bridged that with 2 strands of speaker wire ripped from the trunk speaker just to start up and get home.

My thinking was that I have some faulty component or wiring... Electronic Idle control box (behind battery) removed few weeks prior due to heating up even when vehicle turned off... Glow plug light in dash has never worked so I reckon possibly wiring.. Come to think of it, engine hasnt switched off with key for some time. mmm, also, electric windows sometimes still operate when vehicle off after driving on gravel.

Any ideas would be welcome???? Will likely break up the vehicle soon as I have space... Maybe build up one good 124 with the identical vehicle I have with a blown head gasket. Still IMO an amazing engine I would love to fit in my W460 or a G.

Thanks...

Leonard
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1