Page 1 of 1 1
Tire Recommendations
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/5/2006 11:15 PM
CMiYC

Date registered: Dec 1899
Tire Recommendations

I just did a quick search on this forum and didn't see a topic, so I thought I'd start one.

This weekend I discovered one of my rear tires had a nail in it. I discovered this after the tire had melted and become destroyed. I've never had a car with low profile tires before, so I didn't realize it was flat until I drove on it.

Before I order replacement P-Zeros, I just wondered what others were doing for their tires.

I only drive the car on weekends and on sometimes on the track. In other words, I'd prefer performance over comfort.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 2:39 AM
lennyr

RE: Tire Recommendations

It seems like most people like PS2s the best. That's what I'm going to get when my P-Zeros wear out, in 255 on the back.
#19530 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 5:59 AM
-1-

I agree, I like the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s the best. Three things I like, the name. the smooth sidewall, and the tread design. They're pretty!
#19543 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 6:08 AM
RonJeffries

I put Goodyear Eagle F1s on mine, based on their top rating in a recent C&D article. They're awesome in the wet, have very progressive release under hard cornering, and I like them a lot.

They get a bit hard below 45 degrees F, which I notice leaving the house on a cool rainy morning, but within a mile or so they're warm and back to sticky.
#19544 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 8:13 AM
beverage

My car came with P-Zero's on and must admit have found them OK, only complaint I had about them was on ice as they had very little grip when I first started the car, but since summer has now started (at last!!) they're performing a lot better!!!
#19551 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 1:29 PM
GG AD 600

CMiYC - 6/6/2006 5:15 AM

I only drive the car on weekends and on sometimes on the track. In other words, I'd prefer performance over comfort.

Then it´s got to be the Michelin Pilot Sport 2. The Pirelli P Zero Rosso/Nero are better in the wet but wear pretty fast especially when using them on the track. Had the Pirelli´s and the Michelin on the SLK and would definitely go for the Michelin tires again. Nevertheless the Michelins seem to be more sensitive to hydroplaning but on a car like the SLK you have to be careful anyhow.

Andy

#19658 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 12:22 PM
CMiYC

The Michelins are sounding like the ideal choice.

I don't drive the car unless it is dry and sunny anyway.
#20094 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/8/2006 6:19 AM
alroumi

Re: Tire Recommendations

My car came with Continentals
#20344 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/9/2006 7:57 AM
MB-Spain

My car came with Continental Sport Contact 2.
#20684 - in reply to #20344
Author
Posted 6/9/2006 9:50 AM
Dinoman

Mine, too. Dinoman
#20697 - in reply to #20684
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 5:29 PM
CMiYC

So.... those with the continentals, what do you think of them?
#21871 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 10:42 PM
dsb

I have the Contis.

I am not impressed. They are good if you are a conservative driver. They have decent grip in the dry and the wet. They give a clear audible signal when they are under stress. However, I do feel that PZero tires (which I had in the same size on my previous car) performed better. Another difference between the two was road noise. The Pirellis were quieter.

My favorite street tire is still the PS2 despite the fact that they wear down fast and cost $$$.
#22058 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/13/2006 2:05 AM
alroumi

I think the Continental let in Lots of road noise, or maybe our streets are bad.
Not sure
#22176 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 6/25/2006 10:21 AM
Matton

I have Conti's as well. Cannot comment on wear since I have been somewhat "aggressive" on driving..... Overall, they are well balanced to the vehicle in both wet and dry drving conditions. In a former life, I had the opportunity to benchmark various tire manufacturing processes. The Michelin process was clearly the best (they try to keep this process a competitive secret) with little process variation, meaning, the tires conform better to OEM's specifications. I have also experienced better wear performance with Michelin's than any other tire. Finally, I wish Yokohama made tires for the SLK55. I had them on 3 different twin turbo Dodge Stealths I had previously owned and they are a replacement tire for a PT Crusier Turbo (modified) that my kids are driving. Much better performance and wear that the OEM tires......
#26325 - in reply to #19509
Author
Posted 7/3/2006 11:36 AM
Malibuite

Does anyone have any experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires re road noise and handling? The PS2s do not do well in ice and snow but we get so little snow here that I don't want to purchase winter tires so might go for the PS A/S when I replace the current tires.

Edited by Malibuite 7/3/2006 11:38 AM
#28422 - in reply to #19509
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1