Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Technical Forums : Mercedes-Benz Audio, Telematics & Lighting : W463 G-class upgrade the sound system need help

Page 1 of 1 1
W463 G-class upgrade the sound system need help
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/26/2015 9:15 PM
mo-shy
New user

Date registered: Sep 2015
Vehicle(s): 03 G500

W463 G-class upgrade the sound system need help

Hi all,

I have 03 G500 and I am not satisfied with the quality of the sound system. I had Porsche cayenne with Bose sound system it was amazing!

Actually I don't like the head unite either so I am thinking of improve the head unite as well the speakers ,tweeters and subwoofer. The problem is I don't have any idea which I need exactly. I don't know what is the different between mid rang/ full range or mid bass...etc

For the head unit I am thinking of purchases this unit:

DVD GPS Navi BT Player Mercedes Benz E CLS CLK G Class W211 W219 W209 W463 8797 | eBay

it has the oem look with further options, the downside it's Chinese made and they told me I need special cable for the fiber optic.

Since I don't have any idea about the cars audio systems please I need to know the followings:

- The dealer told me my car has the fiber optic so is it hard to upgrade the sound system?

- Does the head unit affect the quality of the car sound system? if yes can I still upgrade the sound equipment even with this unit?

- What is the different between mid range/ med bass ...etc? so how I can know which speakers fir front and rear?

- what is your best advise for upgrading the sound system? what I should change speakers? subwoofer? and what brand/size will fit perfectly? I don't want to change the oem look or install big equipment.

- Do I need to change the amb since the unite has one but I am not sure if it's play an important role in the sound quality.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/19/2016 10:41 AM
e300diesel

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle(s): 03 G55AMG, 06 E320CDI; 17 Sprinter Roadtrek
Re: W463 G-class upgrade the sound system need help

Hi there,

I have a 2003 G55, AMG, so let me give you my experience.

The sound quality of the 13 year OEM radio, IMHO, is way better than any of the chinese radios I have heard. I purchased the Chinese radio, primarily cause of the OEM look and integration, and it does work. However, the GPS module failed in 6 months, and the company was happy for me to pay for parts and shipping for just the replacement part as 'warranty'. So be wary, and see if they have any local support, and perhaps try to buy amazon, as a tleast you will have some recourse. If you really want good sound, try the alpine, kenwood or pionteer units. More complicated to install, but depends on what you want.

The OEM unit is a Harmon Kardon - head unit, amp and speakers. In my opinion, these are high quality units, so I only replaced my head unit and cleaned up all my electrical connectors as part of my replacement.

The connection between the 2003 Head Unit and the Amp is NOT fiber optic - I don't think that happened till 2004 or 2005
The connectors that came with my Chinese unit worked using all the existing electrical wiring, and sound good, but not 'Great'
The connection between the 2003 Head Unit and the CD changer is fiber optic, so you will lose access to your CD changer.
You need the amp to drive all of the speakers, so you either have to reuse it or replace it, and I kept mine, but cleaned all of the electrical connections

I will say that USB and Bluetooth streamed music sound clean on the new chinese head unit, but don't have the depth/fidelity of the original unit. The car is generally very noisy, so it didn't bother me so much. The bluetooth hands-free on this car is difficult due to the interior noise, so I opted for a plantronics bluetooth headset instead, which cancels out any noise not coming from my mouth and allows me to talk freely without complaints.

My subwoofer was blown, so I swapped with a similar size and dual 4 ohm subwoofer (amazon), that matched what was there. There are better options, but was not ready to take the plunge quite yet. The one I have sounds pretty good, and was <$50.

So at the end of the day, I spent about $500 for a new chinese unit(alibaba) and subwoofer(amazon), and I swapped it myself. Mostly to get rear view camera and GPS, but the GPS failed. I may consider an android 4.4 chinese unit for the future, but I will wait till I feel comfortable with a quality unit.

If you have any specific questions, dont hesitate to ask, or PM me.
Thanks
#231881 - in reply to #229652
Author
Posted 5/12/2016 2:37 PM
beepers90
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500, 05 C230 Kompressor

Correct on the 03 55s having no fiber optic amp. The dealer disconnected my CDC when installing aux input... I noticed this when pulling the unit out myself I saw a d2b connector shoved loosely in the black cubby of the trim ring. Not even connected to comand. I plugged it in and had CDC working again, CDs sound better than aux in, the sound can be improved if you turn on audio limit on your iPhone and use a headphone amplifier ( which I learned from a girl on YouTube) , or a $20 3.5mm ad2p Bluetooth receiver. I had one of the first e46 bmw dynavin units who pioneered the OEM style p&p craze, and it worked well for years until the cable connections for the iPhone broke, but everything else worked a treat. They updated the units many times since, and they were the brand with best CS and everything else was a knockoff of the original oem knockoff lol. If you are having trouble with gps, try buying the best quality card that it will accept. Not just size wise but speed and quality are important. Then re download the nav software from gps underground or somewhere similar. Those sd cards fail and you can get faster and sturdier ones. Also get some compressed air and deoxit. Ensure your cables do not touch your units metal sheild. Buy a better gps antenna for and mount it like fenrweh in the oem location.
#232320 - in reply to #229652
Author
Posted 5/12/2016 3:10 PM
beepers90
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle(s): 02 G500, 05 C230 Kompressor

I am stuck between buying the last 2011 map update, auto sense pse and use my old non mb Motorola v60 phone in a cradle, get the cradle eliminator cable and the v60 bt puck, and use a Seperate cradle antenna booster for my iPhone. For the money I could do a uhi upgrade and use the v4 sap cradle which accesses sim over Bluetooth, as well as allowing you to insert one. It then acts as the phone and the allows the antenna compensator to function. Ntg2.5 is possible as well. I would be more interested in a 4.5/7 style retrofit as your eyes don't wander down which is a considerable of a safety improvement if you are like me and 6 foot 2. Sorry for the lack of coherent ideas and punctuation, battery is dying on phone. Will edit later.

Edited by beepers90 5/12/2016 3:17 PM
#232322 - in reply to #229652
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1