Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W140 S Class : Photo DIY- A/C System "Odor Cleansing" a la "WYNN's" Method

Page 1 of 1 1
Photo DIY- A/C System "Odor Cleansing" a la "WYNN's" Method
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/5/2016 8:11 PM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350
Photo DIY- A/C System "Odor Cleansing" a la "WYNN's" Method

Here in Heat & Humidity-Central... A/C Odors are a bit of an Issue...

Despite using the "Tricks" of Shutting OFF the A/C Compressor, several minutes Prior to Arrival to Destination.... Cycling Throught the Vent Settings while "Very Briefly" on the "HI Heat" mode.... Using "REST" mode on Arrival... etc.

For *ME*? These Tricks WORK! For the Rest of my Family?? Not quite as Anal-Compulsive as I am. Thus: Recurrent A/C Odor problems.

I have ALL 3 of the Recommended Mercedes Cleaning Systems... the ContraSept Air Tool/Wands, the Evaporator Disinfecting Foam, and the "WYNN's" Method.

Attached are the Mercedes Service Bullitins regarding the various approaches to Stinky-Sox A/C systems.

The purpose of this post is to describe the "WYNN's" Method.

Originally, I looked at the actual Wynn's Atomizer Tool? It's pretty Expensive, especially since it is only sourced from Europe: http://www.wynns.eu/product/aircomatic/

After doing some Testing, Trial & Error, and researching the MSDS on the Wynn's Airco-Clean? I have come to the final Conclusion:

The "Airco-Clean"??? Looks like it is nothing more than CAS 64-17-5.... Uuuhhhhh "ETHANOL"!!! Soooo, rather than spend $7 bucks for a 'Shot' of the Airco-Clean? (3 oz). I opted to source near-pure 95% Ethanol (aka Moonshine... Everclear....White-Lightning) for Cheap... Then DILUTE IT 50% with DISTILLED WATER. It works Just as Well as the Airco-Clean!

A few points to Remember... You MUST remove any Filters in the System, ESPECIALLY the Recirculation Filter. When finished with the Service? You must install **NEW** Filters!!

If you want a video of the process, you can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpBG2ZYLd6E

Of ALL the various methods? This is the Quickest/Easiest, plus being pretty darn effective.

"G"

(0.jpg)

(1.jpg)

(2.jpg)

(3.jpg)

(4.jpg)

(5.jpg)

(6.jpg)

(7.jpg)

(8.jpg)

(9.jpg)

(10.jpg)

(11.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Odors_service_bltn.pdf (180KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Contra_sept_cleaning.pdf (100KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments A-C Foam Tx.pdf (67KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 0.jpg (44KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 1.jpg (64KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 2.jpg (109KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 3.jpg (66KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 4.jpg (109KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 5.jpg (97KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 6.jpg (89KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 7.jpg (86KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 8.jpg (76KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 9.jpg (117KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 10.jpg (57KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 11.jpg (67KB - 0 downloads)