Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : @W5YK or Amateur Radio License

Page 1 of 1 1
@W5YK or Amateur Radio License
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/24/2019 11:10 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
@W5YK or Amateur Radio License

W5YK - 2/22/2019 7:48 PM....

Thanks for piping up in the diff lock thread. Not only is that great troubleshooting advice, but you reminded me to check on the status of my amateur ratio operator's license. I'd received notice from someplace that appeared at the time to be associated with ARRL that my license was nearing expiration and that I could engage their services to renew it. Being half lazy and half busy, I did so and assumed all was well.

Seeing your call sign caused me to realize that I couldn't remember ever having received new paperwork or any confirmation of any kind.

My lazy/busy self took over again and I googled my call sign. Up came indication that the license had expired in 2018! Cue slight uptick in blood pressure.

Next visit FCC pages and find no worries, I'm OK to renew up to 2 years after expiration, so I'd better get that done.

But first off to ARRL to check on if/where the ball was dropped.

Blood pressure back down - ARRL shows last activity on my license number to be a renewal in November of 2017.

Whew. I'm not illegal after all.

Still just lazy though. Picked up a 2008 Lexus LX 470 last July and while I have managed to get the Top Tent roof tent mounted on it for camping last year, that trip didn't involve any remote areas so (mobile HF) radio work has fallen behind. I do have a nearly NIB SGC SG-2020 that would probably fit in the center console and would be fun to use. It has occurred to me that I should look for something from the same century as the vehicle. But there's also the argument for balance.

We'll see what happens.

Kilo Delta Zero Charlie Oscar Quebec, 73

Edited by hipine 2/24/2019 11:11 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/13/2019 11:58 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,
Re: @W5YK or Amateur Radio License

What do you think of the Lexus? My G500 has been commandeered by my daughter, so I was thinking of getting a Landcruiser. Much as I like the Gwagen, I think I have replaced enough door locks and window regulators for one lifetime.
#240526 - in reply to #240467
Author
Posted 3/18/2019 9:09 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Re: @W5YK or Amateur Radio License

W5YK - 3/13/2019 9:58 PM

What do you think of the Lexus? ...

Well, when I stop for gas I can just stop for gas without conversing with three different people about the car.

They have their own challenges like any car. I'm now expecting parts delivery for a cracked radiator top tank - a problem that occurs about every 7 years due to poor tank design that has a stress riser built in. Mine is "over-due" I guess having lasted 10 years. It was very G-like though in that it never gave any indication there was anything wrong, because there sort of wasn't. I don't know when it happened, but I never got any over-warm indication on the gauges, never smelled coolant, etc. I discovered coolant signs under the hood when doing an oil change. Turns out it was only about a quart low due to the crack being in the top tank (has top/bottom, not side tanks). Replacement job looks pretty easy. I'll replace the water pump and thermostat while the coolant's out. Parts come to about $550 for all of that from a price friendly dealer in Atlanta (Butler Lexus of South Atlanta).

The thing is insanely comfortable and quiet so in that sense it makes a much better daily driver than a G, especially than a diesel 460. The worst thing about it is the goofy tire sizes, 20" wheels and wide-ass rubber. The Tundra wheels help a little, but they're still 8" wide which is ridiculous to me. Gets 16-17 mpg all the time on regular unleaded so it's actually more economical than the 617A 460 that gets 21 mpg but takes fuel that's 30% more expensive now.

It's been a decent car so far and easy enough to work on, get parts for, etc etc Not perfect, but nothing is I guess. I'm not crazy about motors and sensors to get e in and out of 4wd, accomplish "virtual" diff lock capability, etc, but it is what it is.

All the best,

-Dave G.
#240533 - in reply to #240526
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1