Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Brake lights inoperative

Page 1 of 1 1
Brake lights inoperative
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/4/2019 2:03 PM
thanito
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle(s): MB G400CDI, MB 300E-24, Mini Cooper S
Brake lights inoperative

Hi everyone!

I need some help.. Today I got stopped by a random guy on the road who told me that I had no brake lights at all. I was surprised, since the truck is notorious of showing malfunction errors for bulbs, even if there is just a spontaneous low voltage error, or misplaced bulb. In this instance though I get no errors whatsoever in the bc.

Where should I start looking? I suppose the brake light switch should pop an error if it was malfunctioning, as I am reading that a faulty brake light switch may even put the car in limp mode.

I tried to look in the fuses, but in the diagram it just says 'electronic' for the brake lights and does not mention the location of the fuse. I take it that electronic translates to a relay, but which one?

Cheers
Thanos
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/6/2019 2:52 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Brake lights inoperative

The brake light switch has two internal switches. 

One opens as you first press on the pedal.  The ECU is looking for this to manage cruise control and other automated functions.  If that fails the ECU assumes that you have your foot on the brake and will do weird things like require a second press of the accelerator before revving, and it will prevent cruise control.

The other switch closes as you continue to press, and that is what drives the brake lights.  I'm guessing that the second internal switch has failed, or perhaps a fuse along that pathway.  The switch is a pain to reach up to, but pretty easy to test with a multi-meter.

#240867 - in reply to #240861
Author
Posted 8/6/2019 4:49 PM
fernweh

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
RE: Brake lights inoperative

The lights of the G-wagen models (2002+ for US vehicles) are controlled by the SAM unit and do not have separate fuses.

The brake lights are part of that, and the SAM computer should illuminate another lamp if the brake lights lamps fail. You might have to reset/erase any faults/errors with the Star system.

I do believe, the third brake light in the rear back door window, is not part of the SAM control unit system.

Some years ago, I did trace the brake light wiring all the way to the SAM unit in the center console, and could not find any wiring problem, but one of the brake lights would just work intermittently, or not at all.

The fault was in the SAM unit, and short of replacing that SAM, I did connected that faulty brake light to the wire lead of the third brake light, and had all three working nicely again.

Edited by fernweh 8/6/2019 4:54 PM
#240868 - in reply to #240861
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1