Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : W460 Failed Inspection. Wheel movement, brakes, tie rod end

Page 1 of 1 1
W460 Failed Inspection. Wheel movement, brakes, tie rod end
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/10/2019 5:55 AM
rhd280
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle(s): 1982 280GE LWB RHD
W460 Failed Inspection. Wheel movement, brakes, tie rod end

1982 280GE RHD failed semi-annual warrant of fitness inspection on several items:

1) Left side (passenger side in RHD car) Tie Rod End is loose, needs replacing
2) Same wheel moves slightly when rocked top to bottom. Mechanic said it may need grease, may need a bearing
3) Same side, rear wheel does the same. Mechanic said it may need axle oil, may need a bearing
4) Brakes press, then go down a bit more. Mechanic said to first change brake fluid, then check wheel cylinders for leaking.

The G-Wagon is driven about 600 miles a year, never goes over 40 mph (70 kph) even on the motorway (freeway) , and is not expected to handle any better than it does now, so I am looking just to pass the inspection and keep it going until it either fatally fails the semi-annual inspection, or they outlaw it or stop selling petrol/gasoline. The fuel consumption is about one NZ dollar per mile, and its use is limited to ferry trips to Auckland where it comes back loaded to the gills. It is a brilliant work horse on the farm, with over 400,000 miles on it since it began life in England with a gun rack and dog cage, but it won't win any prizes at a concours.

My questions:

1) At https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/mercedes-benz/g-class-w460/860/10703/t... I see tie rod ends for £7, whereas in NZ they want $283 plus 15% tax (£167) for threaded tie rod end (not the whole rack). Can someone explain what I am missing here? 24x the price seems a bit steep.

Below is a photo of the part. Looks like it won't be much fun removing, having not been bothered for at least 22 years. Does it come off with the threads or the clamp?

2) Has anyone had this movement of the front wheel, and if so, what tends to cause it on ancient G-wagons? Does repacking the bearing do it?

3) Similar question with the rear

4) The brakes have never been great, and I have noticed nothing different. Sure, it's time to replace fluid, but are there other things that go wrong?

Edited by rhd280 10/10/2019 5:57 AM

(TieRodEnd.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TieRodEnd.jpg (136KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/10/2019 4:42 PM
jackxter

Date registered: May 2016

Re: W460 Failed Inspection. Wheel movement, brakes, tie rod end

I had movement and it was fixed by replacing the bearings. I would have never known there was an issue as I did not feel anything abnormal while driving.
After a long drive, i decided to wash it. When I cleaned the front wheel, I noticed that the rim was very warm compared to the others. Some research pointed to Bearings. I had the bearings replaced and all is well now.

Edited by jackxter 10/10/2019 4:42 PM
#241082 - in reply to #241081
Author
Posted 10/10/2019 5:41 PM
rhd280
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2014
Vehicle(s): 1982 280GE LWB RHD
RE: W460 Failed Inspection. Wheel movement, brakes, tie rod end

Any idea on how to remove the tie rod end, and what to buy to replace it?
#241083 - in reply to #241081
Author
Posted 10/10/2019 9:20 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: W460 Failed Inspection. Wheel movement, brakes, tie rod end

90% chance that you need wheel bearings.  Common problem, and not cheap or easy to do. 

The tie rod comes off easily with the with a tie rod puller.  Well it would come off easy, but it appears that your undercarriage is a bit rusted up.  The tie rod end boot is torn.  You ca assume that the other end of the rod is going to fail soon too.  Replacing the entire rod might be easier than trying to bust loose the adjusting nuts. The steering rod is probably in similar condition. 

An online parts picture catalog can be found here:

https://mercedes.7zap.com/en/eu/fg/suv/280+ge/280+ge/

You can search using your VIN number to be sure that you are getting an exact replacement. 

#241085 - in reply to #241083
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1