Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Remove license plate lamp housing(s)?

Page 1 of 1 1
Remove license plate lamp housing(s)?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/5/2019 2:27 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500
Remove license plate lamp housing(s)?

When removing the rear bumper, the wiring to the license plate lamps enter the plastic housing before there is a detachable plug... It's not obvious to me how to remove the housing (or disconnect the wiring to the lamps) so as to free the bumper?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/5/2019 2:57 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

RE: Remove license plate lamp housing(s)?

Should've spent another minute on it before I gave up... the housing has a slight pressure fitting (I was surprised how easy it came out), that when pushed from the backside of the housing, the whole housing pops through toward the license plate.

Unscrewed the lense, pulled out the assembly far enough to disconnect the two wire/blade attachments. Then, it should be as easy as sliding the blades back out through the wiring hole in the housing, right?

Unfortunately, one of the blade connectors has a plastic rectangular sheeth around it, making it completely impossible for it to fit inside the housing at any correct angle to pull it out of the small hole where the wiring & grommet go.

Any suggestions besides cutting it and putting on a new blade connector?
#241176 - in reply to #241175
Author
Posted 11/5/2019 4:53 PM
koly
Elite Veteran

RE: Remove license plate lamp housing(s)?

koly - 11/5/2019 12:57 PM

Should've spent another minute on it before I gave up... the housing has a slight pressure fitting (I was surprised how easy it came out), that when pushed from the backside of the housing, the whole housing pops through toward the license plate.

Unscrewed the lense, pulled out the assembly far enough to disconnect the two wire/blade attachments. Then, it should be as easy as sliding the blades back out through the wiring hole in the housing, right?

Unfortunately, one of the blade connectors has a plastic rectangular sheeth around it, making it completely impossible for it to fit inside the housing at any correct angle to pull it out of the small hole where the wiring & grommet go.

Any suggestions besides cutting it and putting on a new blade connector?

I ended up cutting the top of the semi-rigid plastic sheeth covering the blade plug to squeeze it out the top of the housing - bumper removed.
#241177 - in reply to #241176
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1