Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : W463 Knuckle King Pin Bearings

Page 1 of 1 1
W463 Knuckle King Pin Bearings
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/11/2020 4:33 PM
BlueG
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500
W463 Knuckle King Pin Bearings

Folks, my knuckle bearings are totally worn out on the 2003. Time to get them out and put in a fresh set. Can anyone post a link to the part number - I am almost positive I saw them here but now I cannot find them. Was the Timken cross reference SET 12 and SET 16? If so I can cross those to some high quality replacement bearings. Any suggestions on other parts I need while in there would be good. Wheel bearings are tight and I can repack them if they come out looking good.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/20/2020 3:00 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
Re: W463 Knuckle King Pin Bearings

Sorry, I don't have any clarification for you on the bearings. Just a question and a reminder here.

Question: How are you able to differentiate that it's the kingpin bearings and not the wheel bearings? Historically it was discussed that the upper bearing is usually what went bad (perhaps significantly) before the lower bearing would go bad, because the grease would leak from the knuckle into the lower kin-pin bearing. The upper would dry out and go bad. Depending on your mileage, if it's really a premature failure on the upper bearing, you might not even need to change the lower. On the other hand, depending on your mileage, you might as well change the wheel bearings while you're at it.

Reminder: Be super careful to check/maintain the little shims that are between the king pins and the bearings. If you lose track of them, you'll either have play and or you'll have unintended friction between the drive shaft and the bushing that runs inside the axle tube. Fixing the problem then requires either a special tool, or trial and error.

#241439 - in reply to #241415
Author
Posted 1/20/2020 4:25 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: W463 Knuckle King Pin Bearings

You have a PM.
#241440 - in reply to #241415
Author
Posted 1/30/2020 9:33 AM
BlueG
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle(s): 2003 G500
Re: W463 Knuckle King Pin Bearings

I can't say for certain that the knuckle bearings are the only bearings that need attention but I can already find part numbers to cross reference for the wheel bearings. Eventually it will be warmer and I'll take it apart and cross reference a bearing catalog. Theres a good chance that only a couple manufacturers exist but that is to be determined once I have actual number off of the bearings. Anyway, if anybody has taken apart an MBUSA axle and still has bearing numbers please let us know
#241470 - in reply to #241439
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1