Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Window Regulators, a thought

Page 1 of 1 1
Window Regulators, a thought
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/27/2020 11:14 AM
gbenzer
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle(s): 2007 G-500, 2017 Audi Q7
Window Regulators, a thought

Recently with the help of my G-friend from Texas we replaced 3 of my window regulators. Only the driver's window was operational. The three that failed did so in an interesting order. First the left rear, then right rear, then front passenger. So I began to think about why they may have failed in that order and the driver window which got the most use was still operational. They all failed in the inverse order of frequency of use according to the seating pattern on the way my G is used. My thoughts to that point were that they failed due to use, but I now don't think so.

I now propose that the regulators will last longer if used occasionally, much like we should exercise our differential locks. Just a thought.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/23/2020 7:11 PM
imjustdave
Regular

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle(s): 2004 G500, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2006 Ram 3500.
RE: Window Regulators, a thought

gbenzer - 3/27/2020 8:14 AM

Recently with the help of my G-friend from Texas we replaced 3 of my window regulators. Only the driver's window was operational. The three that failed did so in an interesting order. First the left rear, then right rear, then front passenger. So I began to think about why they may have failed in that order and the driver window which got the most use was still operational. They all failed in the inverse order of frequency of use according to the seating pattern on the way my G is used. My thoughts to that point were that they failed due to use, but I now don't think so.

I now propose that the regulators will last longer if used occasionally, much like we should exercise our differential locks. Just a thought.

Your thoughts are correct, Lack of use is worse then just using them. Also I was advised to spray the window rails with B'laster Silicone Lubricant. Myself I decided to send my regulators out to powerwindowrepair com they basically repair regulators on just about any car made it seems. Overall I was very happy with the results and I do tend to roll down and up just about every window weekly just to keep them moving, they did a fast turnaround for me and I was able to get the G back together ASAP, they initially overcharged me $20 on shipping but they saw it and refunded me before I even noticed, and I'm not sure I would have. So to me they were epic honest. This was 3 years ago now, windows go up and down with no issues sense.

-David
#241826 - in reply to #241600
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1