Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Coupe and Convertible Forums : W208 CLK Class : Questions about a 208 project car

Page 1 of 1 1
Questions about a 208 project car
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/22/2006 8:16 PM
Higgie

Date registered: Dec 1899
Questions about a 208 project car

Heres the question. If I wanted to buy a 2002 ML55 AMG, and a 2002 CLK Sedan (I would have to sell my 55 Cabriolet, and Harley to do this), swap the engines, with the CLK getting the ML's 55 rebuilt with low compression pistons and a super charger....full body kit, and 20's...to drive and road race as a hobby.

What is the ideal donor car that will let me bolt the CLK's original engine into the ML55, and the 55 into the CLK (ML of course will retain the 4X4 transmission, CLK to 55 would be stock CLK trans. if possible)?

I could stick with a CLK cabriolet donor, but after cornering a few times this year....playing a little to hard with my 02 55 AMG Cab, I think I would feel better to do the 500hp, in a hard top. I think I can buy both vehicles for around $21K each...giving me dependable winter transportation.... and spending (prior to mods) about what an 02/03 CLK55 goes for.

Post transplants:
ML55 now a ML430 or ML500...maybe ML320 if the engines share the same transmission bolt patterns with big brakes and such.... and a unique ..fast as all get out Benz CLK.

Even if anyone can send me in the right direction...meaning publications on the subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

TY

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/23/2006 12:09 AM
jtbeche

RE: Questions about a 208 project car

Wow....that would be a ton of work....and not trying to downplay your fun and creativity but that's gotta be way more trouble than it's worth.  Really, you'd just be much better off buying a ML320 and a CLK430 and just supercharging that.  You'd get plenty of power that way.  I know you want to throw the supercharger on the 55 engine but again...just seems like too much of a hassle to me to switch engines.
#25786 - in reply to #25748
Author
Posted 6/24/2006 12:58 AM
Higgie

Does seem like a lot of work. I get your drift there. From what I have read on the vendor sites that sell the SC kits. The 55 blown, comes out at like 100hp more than a 430. Maybe if the 430 were rebuilt with lower compression, it might get around some of the 55's size advantage for a bolt on. Either way I look at it, it is a ton of work. I thought it might be worth it to have the SUV and the car in the end, -vs- a blown car, and still in need of winter transportation.

Maybe I should buy my buddies Neon...as a winter driver, and go for a factory E55 or CL55, ready to roll...factory from the start.

I of course always have a hard time making up my mind. LOL

Thanks for ther input...U make a great point...and in addition to all that work...it always costs a lot more to get there than I ever imagine.
#26047 - in reply to #25786
Author
Posted 6/24/2006 8:01 PM
ThrillKill

Are you sure the trannies are compatible? I've heard the clk55 has a heavy duty one.
#26222 - in reply to #25748
Author
Posted 6/25/2006 2:14 AM
Higgie

Hey Thrill....

That's exactly my point. I don't know, but would like to read up on the variables, if anything has been published. Maybe I am spoiled, but Mother Mopar, has several factory backed 2" thick books that you can buy about the different engines, and transmissions used during the muscle car era. The big block engine manual was my resource when I rebuilt a 440 cu.in 6pk carb. engine for my 72 Duster project. They have sections on engine swaps, etc.

I realize what I am considering sounds like a lot of trouble, but beyond that I don't even know if it can be done with these factory starting vehicles. Maybe I am better off, to spend my garage time keeping a common american made (considering an Neon, from a friend) daily beater running, and spend my $65K on a factory rig. There is no argument resale will always be better. That price range would put me into a nice E55, or CL55 car.

Since I currently have more time than money...

I was looking for some research leads, so stuff to read. I guess with the inclusion of the 550 engine throughout the line by 2007 (a MB salesman told me this) at 380hp...standard models will rival the C55 or CLK55 without SC. Wonder where the CLK55 will be then?

Thanks for the input..... maybe I just need to drive Sadie North for a weekend of Fun and Food in the Windy City...any thing happening in the next month or so?

Edited by Higgie 6/25/2006 2:14 AM
#26298 - in reply to #26222
Author
Posted 6/25/2006 12:53 PM
ThrillKill

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/events/1265804-chicago-area-gtg-july-9th.html
#26343 - in reply to #25748
Author