Page 1 of 1 1
Low Sulphur Diesel
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/25/2006 1:36 AM
Alaskagwagen

Date registered: Dec 1899
Low Sulphur Diesel

I am wondering what you diesel heads out there are doing about the low sulphur diesel issue. It just showed up at the pumps up here in Alaska and I have had a few discussions with my mechanic about it - his concern is that the decreased lubricity of the fuel will lead to premature IP failure. I wonder if our European freinds have any experience with the low sulphur diesel (15 ppm sulphur) and the Bosch IP seals? My understanding is that mixing 5-10% biodiesel will restore the lubricity. I make biodiesel but don't run it in the winter up here due to the gel point/wax issue. A friend with a VW TDI says his pump is lubricated with engine oil so it is not an issue for him. How about our 617s and 603s? Maybe its time to add some kerosene in the winter?

Adam
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/25/2006 11:35 AM
BenzDieselTuner

Re: Low Sulphur Diesel

well, the diesel we buy in Heilbronn is SULPHUR FREE, not just low sulphur..........so far the green machine has run a few hundred thousand kilometers without any troubles.........but we run biodiesel in her most of the time.....
#50429 - in reply to #50390
Author
Posted 10/26/2006 4:35 PM
Dieselburns
Expert

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 78' MB 300D 87 Chief Cherokee

Yea that's what I put in my tank now! Since its cold now over here in NY I can't run my car on veggie oil! Oh well I wish I live in Florida!
#50654 - in reply to #50429
Author
Posted 10/26/2006 6:32 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Low Sulphur Diesel

Adam,

I believe that the inline Bosch IPs are also lubricated by engine oil. Only the pressure piston and sleeve are exposed to the fuel. These are very hard parts that have been lapped together. Very little chance for wear there unless water gets involved.
#50671 - in reply to #50390
Author
Posted 10/27/2006 2:08 AM
Alaskagwagen

RE: Low Sulphur Diesel

Alan, This is what I was hoping. I will dig out my books and try to confirm that this is the case.

Adam
#50743 - in reply to #50671
Author
Posted 10/27/2006 10:10 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

I think it is important to have some lube in the fuel to address this issue. If you run SVO or biodiesel then the pistons and bores in the pump are lubed. So if you are running diesel then a bit of vegetable oil or bio-D might be the answer. I have been running Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst for years. It is MB approved and I bought it at the Newport Beach MB dealer in the early '80s. I think it works very well and one container (around 12 0z) provides lubrication for 100 gallons of diesel. There are those that use Marvel Mystery Oil and Automatic Transmission fluid with every tank. I think a bit of Canola might do the same thing and will smell more interesting out the tailpipe.

-Dai
#50821 - in reply to #50743
Author
Posted 10/28/2006 2:00 AM
Alaskagwagen

Dai,

I think in the interest of being safe, your suggestion is excellent. Up here I think I should use some salmon oil

Adam
#50833 - in reply to #50821
Author
Posted 10/28/2006 7:32 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
It's Really Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel

Alaskagwagen - 10/25/2006 1:36 AM
I wonder if our European freinds have any experience with the low sulphur diesel (15 ppm sulphur)
Adam

Low Sulfur Diesel (500 ppm Sulfur) is what you've been using for a long time. It's Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) at 15 ppm you're asking about.

Sematics.
#50848 - in reply to #50390
Author
Posted 10/28/2006 3:22 PM
Alaskagwagen

RE: It's Really Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel

Thanks Dutch! Semantics may seem trivial but in this case 500ppm vs 15ppm sulphur is pretty significant. So Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) it is.

Here is a blurb on the lubricity issue form Wikipedia:

"Sulfur is not a lubricant, however the process used to reduce the Sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005. [3]
There may also be a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%. This decrease in energy content may result in reduced fuel economy. To achieve the sulfur requirements for the new fuel standards, diesel manufacturers include an additive to keep the fuel flowing smoothly, and to prevent engine damage. A relatively cheap lubricious additive is biodiesel.
ULSD will run in any engine designed for the ASTM D-975 diesel fuels."

By 2010 only ULSD will be avaialble. RIght now Marine, locomotives and off-road equipment can continue to run LSD.

The EPA says ULSD can only be mixed with ULS Kerosene for winter use and that lubricity additives will be added before retail sale if necessary. THat is the part that worries me. Best do do like Dai says and add your own to make sure.

THis ULSD is the stuff Europe has been using for some time so they should have it down.

#50878 - in reply to #50848
Author
Posted 10/29/2006 10:48 AM
BenzDieselTuner

when it gets too cold for WVO ill start using ULSD with PowerService additive.....
#50944 - in reply to #50390
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1