Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Technical Forums : Mercedes-Benz Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension : W210 Shocks & Springs

Page 1 of 1 1
W210 Shocks & Springs
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/4/2006 1:44 PM
mbz_lover

Date registered: Dec 1899
W210 Shocks & Springs

I just purchased a 99 E300d which I am really enjoying in many areas but I have a spring and shock question for all of you.

I was driving a C280 sport with spacers changed out to #1 and I really liked the ride. The E300d is a bit more of a cushy, softer ride which I enjoy but I am looking for a little less body roll when driving through the winding canyon roads of southern california

The E300d has #4 spacers in it. I was going to go down to #1 spacers and Bilstein HD shocks and the question is do you think that will give me a little more stiffness and handling that I am looking for or should I put some new springs in the E300d as well and if so what type of springs?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/29/2007 3:09 PM
Cochise

RE: W210 Shocks & Springs

mbz_lover - 12/4/2006 1:44 PM

I just purchased a 99 E300d which I am really enjoying in many areas but I have a spring and shock question for all of you.

I was driving a C280 sport with spacers changed out to #1 and I really liked the ride. The E300d is a bit more of a cushy, softer ride which I enjoy but I am looking for a little less body roll when driving through the winding canyon roads of southern california

The E300d has #4 spacers in it. I was going to go down to #1 spacers and Bilstein HD shocks and the question is do you think that will give me a little more stiffness and handling that I am looking for or should I put some new springs in the E300d as well and if so what type of springs?

The short answer is "No".

Shocks manage bumps in the road. Springs manage how your chassis rests on your wheels.

If you install sport shocks, your wheels will rebound faster from bumps, but won't handle curves any better or be less "bouncy".

If you install #1 pads, your chassis will sit about 1/2" lower (just an estimate) but will not handle any better. The spring pads don't affect handling. They are for fine-tuning the ride height (like if the front were a few mm higher than the rear).
#61086 - in reply to #55471
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 8:55 PM
storm

Re: W210 Shocks & Springs

going down to #1 spacers and Bilstein HD shocks WILL improve your cars handling, but i'll suggest eibach uprated springs as well to help control the car in the twisty stuff more accurately.

I ONLY changed the springs on my E280 (98) to eibach units and it dropped about 1/2 an inch and the handling,,.. oh the handling! and yes it's alot more solid feeling now,.. no more wallowy ride.
#66616 - in reply to #61086
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1