Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Technical Forums : Mercedes-Benz Detailing and Car Care : Getting the best shine possible?

Page 1 of 1 1
Getting the best shine possible?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 8:58 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Getting the best shine possible?

What products do you recommend to get the best shine possible?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 9:21 PM
Friendly Ghost

Re: Getting the best shine possible?

Everyone has an opinion or favorite. There is the wax camp and the sealant camp. There are the hand polishers, the random orbital polishers, and the rotary polishers. The variations go on...
From my personal experience and satisfaction, I have been extremely pleased with the Zaino line. I buy it on-line and use a Porter Cable random orbital polisher to apply their polish. My favorite "over the counter" products are made by Mother's, but those are for waxers (I prefer sealant). And don't forget the multitude of microfiber towels!
Most of the shine really comes down to technique. I feel pretty comfortable with mine, which was developed by trying different suggestions at detailing websites. Steps to achieve the best shine include a wash with detergent (like Dawn dishwashing soap) to remove traces of prior wax jobs, using a clay bar to lift embedded dirt out of the paint, polish (one or two stages depending on how swirly or scratched the paint is), rewash, wax or sealer, and quick detail finish. Lots of different product, lots of towels.
#5084 - in reply to #5080
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 9:48 PM
AsianML

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was bad to use dishwashing soap on the car...
#5103 - in reply to #5084
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 10:04 PM
Friendly Ghost

AsianML - 4/28/2006 6:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was bad to use dishwashing soap on the car...

Generally, it is bad to use dishwashing soap on the car between wax/sealant jobs, because it removes your wax or sealant. If you are starting from scratch (no pun intended), the best way to prepare your paint for the polishing products is to clean off the old stuff. I don't know that Dawn brand is better than anything else, but it seemed to be the favorite among detailers. Then between wax/sealant, just use your favorite car soap (aka car shampoo) which should leave your protecting wax or sealer on the car (depending on the last time you applied the wax or sealant).
#5118 - in reply to #5103
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 4:36 PM
Jillian80

RE: Getting the best shine possible?

I like Meguiars Deep Crystal system. It doesn't cost that much and it makes my 20-year-old car shine like it's new.

BTW, I was so impressed with the Deep Crystal products that I ordered their Gold Class Trim Detailer for the faded door handles and trim--it works for a few days, just like every other product out there. I've decided the only way to fix the faded bits is to replace them.

#5580 - in reply to #5080
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 4:49 PM
AsianML

Jillian80 - 4/29/2006 4:36 PM

I like Meguiars Deep Crystal system. It doesn't cost that much and it makes my 20-year-old car shine like it's new.

BTW, I was so impressed with the Deep Crystal products that I ordered their Gold Class Trim Detailer for the faded door handles and trim--it works for a few days, just like every other product out there. I've decided the only way to fix the faded bits is to replace them.

We've got that problem with the trim as well, unfortunately...
#5585 - in reply to #5580
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 5:01 PM
Jillian80

AsianML - 4/29/2006 3:49 PM
Jillian80 - 4/29/2006 4:36 PM

We've got that problem with the trim as well, unfortunately... :(

Yeah, it's pretty common. Some people suggest smearing peanut butter on the faded parts--that's bs. The oil in the PB works to darken the trim for a little while, but it really works no better than anything else, and it's messy and gross.

#5590 - in reply to #5585
Author
Posted 4/30/2006 1:49 PM
ttaleric

Shine

(DSCF05571.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF05571.JPG (54KB - 5 downloads)
#5870 - in reply to #5080
Author
Posted 4/30/2006 3:49 PM
ttaleric

wash, polish, NXT for 1 hour.. in shaded area....
#5916 - in reply to #5080
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 1:12 AM
1996_S500

Looks good ttaleric. Keeping a black car clean is hard to do.
#6925 - in reply to #5080
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 9:47 PM
nomad

Auto Glym products for my cars, it's outstanding stuff
To overcome the faded door handles on my 126 I just painted them black, problem solved
#12292 - in reply to #5080
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 1:42 PM
Benzcowboy
Detailing/CarCare Host

Date registered: May 2006

Friendly Ghost - 4/28/2006 9:04 PM

AsianML - 4/28/2006 6:48 PM

Generally, it is bad to use dishwashing soap on the car between wax/sealant jobs, because it removes your wax or sealant. If you are starting from scratch (no pun intended), the best way to prepare your paint for the polishing products is to clean off the old stuff. I don't know that Dawn brand is better than anything else, but it seemed to be the favorite among detailers. Then between wax/sealant, just use your favorite car soap (aka car shampoo) which should leave your protecting wax or sealer on the car (depending on the last time you applied the wax or sealant).

Do not use dishwashing soap!!!

Start off with a good washing of the car. (I recommend using Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner  and a soft Sheepskin Washmitt.)

To remove wax and body contaminants use a detailing Clay. (Meguiar's Quik Clay ) Then use a Paint Cleaner to remove swirls and light scratches .(Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner) After this your paint should be as smooth as glass.

I cannot stress how important it is for good results to clean the paint before polishing and waxing.

Polishing and Waxing are two different things. Polish adds oils to the paint giving it a great high gloss shine and a wet look.Wax works as a sealant protecting the paint. There are some waxs that have Polish in them like Meguiar's gold class wax .I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Polish. Then use Meguiar's Carnauba Wax or Meguiar's NXT wax.

1.wash
2.clay
3.Paint cleaner
4.Polish
5.wax

and the end result is having the best shine.

Edited by Benzcowboy 6/27/2006 1:42 PM
#26943 - in reply to #5118
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 2:21 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz

Polishing and Waxing are two different things.

This has always been true; unfortunately lately certain mfr's are obscuring the distinction by calling their protective products "polish".

They're following (erroneous) popular usage and I believe it's a marketing ploy, since many people do not know the difference. (And further, as mentioned, certain waxes now contain polishing agents too...)

#27184 - in reply to #26943
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 12:12 AM
Prana25

Here's mine

(DSCF0017.JPG)

(DSCF0012.JPG)

(Trees.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCF0017.JPG (283KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments DSCF0012.JPG (376KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Trees.JPG (318KB - 2 downloads)
#37284 - in reply to #5080
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 3:06 PM
phoenix44

I found this web site, and it seems to have lots of great info!!

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html
#42655 - in reply to #5080
Author
Posted 9/6/2006 4:16 PM
phoenix44

ttaleric - 4/30/2006 3:49 PM

wash, polish, NXT for 1 hour.. in shaded area....

I had always been using Zymol Concours, but this week I tried Turtle Wx Nano something, and today I re-buffed the ML and tried ttaleric's NXT. Looks great, but from start to finish, took me way more than an hour, for wash, buff, buff again, and wax. The NXT come off really nicely!

#43321 - in reply to #5916
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1