Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Coupe and Convertible Forums : W215 CL Class : 30.0 MPG in CL500

Page 1 of 2 12
30.0 MPG in CL500
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/13/2007 1:38 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz
30.0 MPG in CL500

Well.. I am so stoked, again... because I was afraid of taking a bigger hit than this in switching to V-8 power

On the way down, I managed 28.8 so I thought 30 might be in reach, but it came easier than I expected.

Just driving with my legendary light foot on the accelerator, still about 75-80mph most of the way.

The seven-speed transmission is the major factor, with the E and the CL.

103 miles, 70mph average speed, 30.0 mpg

Sorry used my crappy camera phone this time!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/13/2007 1:40 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

RE: 30.0 MPG in CL500

Also... the mileage was still creeping up throughout the trip, so I think
31 or 32mpg might be within reach on a longer trip, if I don't hit too much traffic

Took 40 miles to get that last mpg though, so it would definitely need to be a long trip!

Edited by Marsden 7/13/2007 1:54 AM
#82075 - in reply to #82073
Author
Posted 7/13/2007 8:43 PM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899

Come out with it-- you really live in Indiana-- don't you!

Are you resetting the trip odometer when you're up-to-speed and recording the numbers before you hit traffic on the way back?

How could you come close to this mileage with ANY acceleration or stoplights mixed in? I'm a born cynic, but I'm sure you already know this. The neon weighs 2400 pounds, has 2/5ths the engine, has a more efficient 5-speed transmission and as slippery a profile, but can only match it in normal driving? Something's up with your calculations-- I want to mirror your methods so's I can make a "50.0MPG in neon" thread!!

You know how fond I am of bringing up the graphs, don't you?!?! Check out the numbers-- It surprised me. I suppose I always assumed an S-Coupé would be huge inside. Maybe that's why I'm such a fan of the leon? It's about the perfect size for 4 people-- no slouching to fit in the back, no sitting side-saddle-- just a comfortably-sized space that makes passengers feel trapped without doors

(neon-v.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments neon-v.jpg (81KB - 3 downloads)
#82168 - in reply to #82073
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 3:14 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

It's not normal driving, it's highway driving, keeping a constant speed, not using the brakes and barely touching the accelerator--at all.  Sometimes I gain a bit of speed on long downhill grades and then go slightly slower uphill. (Also, I look WAY ahead when driving, and if I see that I may have to slow down, I let off the gas NOW, and 'coast' in gear until I have reached the new speed.)  On the way back tonight, it was really heavy going... average speed for the trip was only 50mph.  And the mileage suffered accordingly: 28mpg. 

The EPA cycle attempts to simulate "normal driving" and that's not what I do.  I optimize my driving habits to the nth degree to maximize fuel economy.  It's just something I choose to do to help counteract the wasteful fact of owning and driving a luxury car.  In hilly country, you don't want to be stuck behind me for long.  When necessary, however, I adapt my habits a bit for the sake of traffic.  I am not a nuisance unless you're one of those drivers who is always stomping on his pedals.  Then you'd probably want to shoot me

#82192 - in reply to #82073
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 3:20 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

Oh and yeah, it's kind of shocking how space-inefficient (and weight-inefficient) the CL is, compared with an econo car.

All about what you're trying to do, I guess. I am sure I could get 50mpg in the Neon.

However, conditions have to be near-ideal. A single traffic jam will ruin the whole trip, from an mpg perspective. You can recover and get your trip mileage back up, but you can't set records, personal records even, if you have to slow to a crawl even once in a trip (unless maybe it's a 500-mile trip!). Another reason I try and travel off-peak whenever possible

Edit: Remember also, the seven-speed transmission finds a sweet spot at 75mph.  It's about 1600rpm.

Edited by Marsden 7/14/2007 3:22 AM
#82193 - in reply to #82073
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 3:41 AM
iNeon

You've got to remember, though, that I don't have a computer beyond the calculator on my cellphone

I've put a fuel computer on my next car's list of must-haves!!! The PT touring has one, but I've been thinking that it'd be a shame for me to spend my 30's, even partially, in a PT wagon. The next one has to last 10 years. And, well.... I'm leaning toward the Marquis more and more. Got to drive the next one forever and save those pennies for that CLK I'll drive until I die and that my heirs will trade-in(for pennies on the dollar) on a Ford or something else I'd never approve of.

One good thing that's coming out of my having the automotive taste in the family.... My niece has already requested that she be given the VW in 6 years when she starts driving! My heart swells just talking about it!! I want her in a pink SL roadster to be completely honest. A 107 chassis car with dove grey interior. The 280 is likely the most reliable, but it'd be a shame to throw a pink paint-job on a euro car.
#82194 - in reply to #82073
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:58 AM
AsianML

Marsden - 7/14/2007 3:14 AM

It's not normal driving, it's highway driving, keeping a constant speed, not using the brakes and barely touching the accelerator--at all. Sometimes I gain a bit of speed on long downhill grades and then go slightly slower uphill. (Also, I look WAY ahead when driving, and if I see that I may have to slow down, I let off the gas NOW, and 'coast' in gear until I have reached the new speed.) On the way back tonight, it was really heavy going... average speed for the trip was only 50mph. And the mileage suffered accordingly: 28mpg.

The EPA cycle attempts to simulate "normal driving" and that's not what I do. I optimize my driving habits to the nth degree to maximize fuel economy. It's just something I choose to do to help counteract the wasteful fact of owning and driving a luxury car. In hilly country, you don't want to be stuck behind me for long. When necessary, however, I adapt my habits a bit for the sake of traffic. I am not a nuisance unless you're one of those drivers who is always stomping on his pedals. Then you'd probably want to shoot me

That'd be me. Cruising down the empty highways of Iowa at 80 mph. I think we got like low-mid 20s in terms of MPG...in the van

Edited by AsianML 7/14/2007 12:02 PM
#82225 - in reply to #82192
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 1:03 PM
iNeon

AsianML - 7/14/2007 10:58 AM

I think we got like low-mid 20s in terms of MPG...in the van

My Sister drives in such a manner as well-- her traveler usually is between 21.x-23.x. She's full-throttle or making use of the ABS-- never in-between. I ride with her because all she does is complain that my neon doesn't feel safe. It might just be the nature of the vehicle-- the 240D is the same way-- ALWAYS full-acceleration. You'd never get anywhere with a feather-foot in a 240!!

I run my tank almost dry so the fuel sender doesn't get sticky, so when I put a tenner in, it might have an extra half gallon left(1/2 gallon will get me to the house from just about anywhere in Birmingham) so that is, at most, 3.6 gallons.

37.5-42.5 MPG with A/C on all the way. I don't baby it, but never full-throttle accelerate(I've yet to change the timing belt-- it's supposed to be on the second replacement!!! Honestly, I'm waiting for it to snap so my parents will get me in a grown-up's car) either.
#82227 - in reply to #82225
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 1:26 PM
AsianML

Re: 30.0 MPG in CL500

Driving through Bloomington, MN required many WOT accelerations.
#82234 - in reply to #82227
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 10:50 PM
AsianML

Marsden - 7/14/2007 3:20 AM

Oh and yeah, it's kind of shocking how space-inefficient (and weight-inefficient) the CL is, compared with an econo car.

The Neon may be bigger in some areas, but for me, it all comes down to which one I'd rather be in (regardless of size).
#82295 - in reply to #82193
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:13 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

AsianML - 7/14/2007 11:58 AM

That'd be me. Cruising down the empty highways of Iowa at 80 mph. I think we got like low-mid 20s in terms of MPG...in the van

I don't mind going fast, hell I love going fast, it's one of the things these cars do so very well.

I just accelerate like a snail. Don't get behind me at a light, it's like "who's the 90-yr-old man in the CL"

#82300 - in reply to #82225
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:14 PM
AsianML

Marsden - 7/14/2007 11:13 PM
AsianML - 7/14/2007 11:58 AM

I don't mind going fast, hell I love going fast, it's one of the things these cars do so very well.

I just accelerate like a snail. Don't get behind me at a light, it's like "who's the 90-yr-old man in the CL"

The 90 year old who could kick your ass?
#82301 - in reply to #82300
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:15 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

iNeon - 7/14/2007 3:41 AM You've got to remember, though, that I don't have a computer beyond the calculator on my cellphone I've put a fuel computer on my next car's list of must-haves!!! 

And we all have to remember that someone here (Roch?) maintains that the computer data is suspect.

I haven't confirmed it myself, but at some point I will..

#82302 - in reply to #82194
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:18 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

iNeon - 7/14/2007 3:41 AM

... I'm leaning toward the Marquis more and more.

I can't even believe my eyes.

Got to drive the next one forever and save those pennies for that CLK I'll drive until I die and that my heirs will trade-in(for pennies on the dollar) on a Ford or something else I'd never approve of.

coupe or cabrio??

One good thing that's coming out of my having the automotive taste in the family.... My niece has already requested that she be given the VW in 6 years when she starts driving! My heart swells just talking about it!!

Tell your niece that Marsden says she is way cool ... you've brought her up right

#82303 - in reply to #82194
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:23 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

iNeon - 7/14/2007 1:03 PM

I've yet to change the timing belt-- it's supposed to be on the second replacement!!!

ARRGH

And YOU are supposed to be a gearhead!!!

#82306 - in reply to #82227
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:27 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

She's full-throttle or making use of the ABS-- never in-between.

A good friend of mine is like that. She's mashing one pedal or the other to the floor the whole time she's driving. And then complains she doesn't have enough money--she pisses it all away with her driving style! Also, she finally totalled her vehicle (Explorer) (Actually her husband's vehicle) by running it into a tractor-trailer.

#82309 - in reply to #82227
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:46 PM
iNeon

AsianML - 7/14/2007 9:50 PM

Marsden - 7/14/2007 3:20 AM

The Neon may be bigger in some areas, but for me, it all comes down to which one I'd rather be in (regardless of size).

Don't be so fucking snooty-- You're not a doctor yet.
#82316 - in reply to #82295
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:51 PM
iNeon

This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because... This is the song that doesn't end... yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people... started singing it not knowing what it was; and they'll continue singing it forever just because...

Ot it was just a double-post that I edited

Edited by iNeon 7/14/2007 11:53 PM
#82317 - in reply to #82306
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:51 PM
iNeon

Marsden - 7/14/2007 10:23 PM

I've yet to change the timing belt-- it's supposed to be on the second replacement!!!

ARRGH

And YOU are supposed to be a gearhead!!!

Yeah, but this is a means to an end-- My Father has told me it doesn't need to be replaced, and we argued about it being an interference engine blah blah blah Dad wins when it's his wallet the repair fund comes from.

It's just a waiting game to see when that zippy little 2.0 turns into a boat anchor-- I guess they all do eventually anyway; timing belts changed or not, eh? Seems like I've proven that they don't *have* to be replaced at such short intervals, too. I've run this car HARD and it only uses about a quart and a half between (3k)changes.
#82318 - in reply to #82306
Author
Posted 7/14/2007 11:55 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

iNeon - 7/14/2007 11:51 PM
it was just a double-post that I edited :dunce:

I was gonna help you out then I realized I don't mod this forum