Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Technical Forums : Mercedes-Benz Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension : Air/Impact Wrenches

Page 1 of 1 1
Air/Impact Wrenches
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/24/2007 10:13 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz
Air/Impact Wrenches

So, the Installation Instructions that came with my OEM alloy wheels say:

DO NOT USE AIR OR IMPACT WRENCHES TO TIGHTEN LUG NUTS. They can cause thread stripping and over- or under-tightening. These problems will cause wheel failure that can result in severe injury or death to vehicle occupants. Additionally, using them can mar the finish of the wheels. A CALIBRATED TORQUE WRENCH MUST BE USED TO INSURE PROPER AND SAFE INSTALLATION.

The guide then goes on to specify appropriate torque settings, tightening patterns, etc.

My question is this: In the real world, how on earth am I to get the tire jockey to actually do this? All I see are impact wrenches at every tire shop I visit. Should I bribe the service manager or something? Arrgh.

Edited by Marsden 9/24/2007 10:13 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/30/2007 1:34 PM
stargaze

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Air/Impact Wrenches

I have wondered the same thing. I usually used a MB dealer when I needed tire work but that isn't always convenient. I also wonder, can anyone change tires on a wheel without scratching or marking up the wheel? Is the tire industry so lagging technology that this can't be done? I would like to hear from someone who works in the industry to enlighten us on what we should or shouldn't expect from these questions posted. I honestly don't know what to expect. I know when I take my Toyota 4-Runner to Big-O Tires I always say to tighten as to the mfg. specs. I've never actually had a chance to watch.
#90548 - in reply to #89882
Author
Posted 9/30/2007 7:56 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

In my case, I managed to get the mgr at my tire shop when no one else was around, showed him my car and asked if he'd have the tech use a torque wrench.  He agreed.  I think it's worthwhile making this request out of earshot of other customers, as the mgr doesn't want everyone making the same request.  I also tipped the tech $10 for good work, explaining that I'd be back the next week to have the torque checked again. 

Of course, I still have to get my TPMS corrected, which means another trip to the dealer.  And incidentally, I have no confidence whatever that the dealer will be as careful as the tire tech I tipped.  But that's another story.

#90573 - in reply to #89882
Author
Posted 9/30/2007 8:27 PM
stargaze

I suppose I'll have to deal with TPMS now with the new 550 - the 01 430 didn't have it. I used to have separate snow tires so I checked my torque with my own torque wrench. I suppose I'll still do that. I know what you mean with the dealer.
#90577 - in reply to #89882
Author
Posted 10/1/2007 8:05 PM
Marsden
Classic MB

Yeah I used to have a torque wrench, no idea what happened to it.  Guess I'll buy another one b/c this is one item I'd like to stay on top of.  Is there a standard socket measure for MB lug nuts? 

And I bet your TPMS will be better than mine, although I'm just guessing.

#90669 - in reply to #89882
Author
Posted 10/30/2007 4:27 AM
Nino

I stand and watch the technician, after I've asked if he would not use impact tools, then hand him the torque wrench set at the proper torque. Been working so far.
#94144 - in reply to #89882
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1