Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : biodiesel and fuel line replacement

Page 1 of 1 1
biodiesel and fuel line replacement
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/19/2006 1:06 PM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed
biodiesel and fuel line replacement

I have searched the forum for this topic without finding out specifics. Did not search the old forum...

I have been using B-99 biodiesel fuel and want to make certain that when I replace the fuel lines (mine are 1980 vintage) that I get it right the first time. I will burn a plend of biodiesel and diesel fuel in the winter (although it seldom actually goes below 32 degrees F where I live). Most of the year I will use pure biodiesel fuel - soy based.

I am about to search my EPC for all bits and part numbers, but I thought this would be a good time to ask others who have done this change out for any tips and suggestions. I did replace the underhood lines last year, to include the small return lines on the injectors. The replacement line material looked just like the old material, fabric covered. So, I may not have addressed the biodiesel leak issue with those parts. The "thumper" line (the one that has a cardiac-like pulse as the engine is running) appears to be of bio-ready material.

You should know that so far, I have no leaks after about six months of use. Also, no filter issues, and the primary filter remains perfectly clean - so far. Anyone have ideas about the time line for any residue that might show up in the filter. Again, none so far.

Off to check the EPC...

Thank you in advance for any general or specific thoughts.

Best wishes,

Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/19/2006 1:15 PM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: biodiesel and fuel line replacement

Make sure that you get some type of newer line. I did Veggie oil on my truck and that was a disaster. It was a 90 and every rubberr part invilved started leaking.
Be Careful
#39325 - in reply to #39323
Author
Posted 8/19/2006 1:49 PM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

230G - 8/19/2006 10:15 AM

Make sure that you get some type of newer line. I did Veggie oil on my truck and that was a disaster. It was a 90 and every rubberr part invilved started leaking.
Be Careful

230G,

Did you resolve this by line replacement? Besides fuel lines, what rubber parts failed?

Thanks

ts
#39333 - in reply to #39325
Author
Posted 8/19/2006 2:51 PM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899

The rubber gromits in the fuel injectors and the some rubber return line or something like that.
It was not hard and they went very slowly started as a seap so not like you will miss the leak or blow oil all over the place.
I am going to convert my 406 to veggie as soon as I get it ready so I will take notes of how I do that also
#39361 - in reply to #39323
Author
Posted 8/19/2006 5:45 PM
CEOG
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 80 230G

Tom,
Look on the FRYBRID.com forum and check out the topic over on that forum. Chris Goodwin is the man. I am using his two tank system and am extremely happy with it. He is very busy and hard to get a hold of. Send him an email and he can tell you all the parts he replaced on my 300GD. This fall I promise to have you buy lunch. My daughter leaves for SF soon so I will have more free time.

Terrance
#39410 - in reply to #39361
Author
Posted 8/21/2006 12:35 AM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Thank you both for the thoughts. The Star, Mercedes Benz Club of America magizine, had an excellent artilce about biodiesel. From that author's point of view the only parts that should be replaced were the fuel lines and return lines. I think the older diesels injectors are not affected by biodiesel. True.

And, CEGO, lunch is still on me. Let me know when you come to Olympia, and I will organize the three Gwagen owners so we can all have time to "support" our G habit.

See you soon.

ts
#39810 - in reply to #39410
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1