Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Recaro seat headrests.

Page 1 of 1 1
Recaro seat headrests.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 1:23 PM
MazWest
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): E220T, 250GD LWB Wolf
Recaro seat headrests.

Gentlemen,

I know that there is a wealth of knowledge here on this forum because I'm here having a look around nearly every day. It's the place to go whenever something out of the ordinary pops up in the daily "G" maintenance activities. Like today!

I was busy trying to install some custom made seat covers on my front seats and I couldn't get the headrests out of the seats. Now, I have a 1986 300GD LWB with Recaro seats which were an option on this truck when new.

When I pull up on the headrests, they extract with about 2.5 inches of shaft showing and then they stop hard and solid. Almost like there is a lock preventing them from coming out. So, I try giving them several good clops from behind in an upward direction and that doesn't help. Well, I seem to remember from an old 280 SEL I had, that there was a secret latch under the cloth on the side of the seat. I try locating such a knob or latch, also to no avail. Next I have another forum member who is also a good mechanic give it a try. He's bigger and stronger than I am. Guess what? No luck. Well, I needed to buy an oil filter today so, while I was at my local friendly Mercedes parts and repair center, I ask one of the mechanics there to give it a try. (Now he's used to working on Sprinters and the such but he's a nice guy.) Guess what? No luck.

One more thing, I've been through all the manuals from Harald. There ain't no reference to headrests except they tell you to remove them. (Lot's of help that was)

So, here comes the big question. How the hell do I get the buggers out?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.
Attached should be a diagram of my seat configuration from the EPC.

Richard

(Recaro Rodeo Seat.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Recaro Rodeo Seat.JPG (25KB - 11 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 9/2/2006 5:10 PM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2
RE: Recaro seat headrests.

On the top of the seat, where the two rods from the head rest go in are two black plastic fittings, some have a little slide thing on them, others are flat on two sides.
The method differs, pull the head rest out as far as it will go, then you either squeeze one side of the fitting or twist and the rods will come out all the way.
#42682 - in reply to #42643
Author
Posted 9/3/2006 4:12 AM
kerry460
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1984 300GD LWB WAGEN
Re: Recaro seat headrests.

G,,day ,recaro use a hairpin clip on both shafts .last notch is not a vee but has 90degree to stop removal. firstly extend headrest fully ,spray shafts with silicon, work up and down spray etc .just below the top of the backrest and to the inside or outside of the vertical line of the headrest shafts you may be able to press on the hairpin clips [from the the front] then get someone in the backseat to lift h,rest ,sometimes a quick jerk up will bypass 90degree notch .you will need to press fairly hard to slightly move clips out of position ,go gently to start with so you dont totally dislodge clips.quick upward movement can work on its own.hope this helps ,file bottom notch to a vee for easy future removable..cheers kerry
#42793 - in reply to #42643
Author
Posted 9/3/2006 5:36 AM
MazWest
Veteran

roughneck - 9/2/2006 11:10 PM

On the top of the seat, where the two rods from the head rest go in are two black plastic fittings, some have a little slide thing on them, others are flat on two sides.
The method differs, pull the head rest out as far as it will go, then you either squeeze one side of the fitting or twist and the rods will come out all the way.

roughneck,

Thanks for the helpful reply. I tried your method but, my setup appears to be different. There are no slide thingies and they aren't flat on two sides either.

Once again, brute force doesn't work either.

Cheers, Richard
#42797 - in reply to #42682
Author
Posted 9/3/2006 5:49 AM
roughneck
Expert

Thanks for the helpful reply. I tried your method but, my setup appears to be different. There are no slide thingies and they aren't flat on two sides either.

Once again, brute force doesn't work either.

Cheers, Richard

Ok I will drive out to the barn today and take a look at mine and post pics tonight,
#42798 - in reply to #42797
Author
Posted 9/3/2006 5:47 PM
roughneck
Expert

I had a good look at the recaros in the G, yup you are right, they are different and I could not budge them. I will take a closer look tomorrow.
#42865 - in reply to #42798
Author
Posted 9/3/2006 11:58 PM
JMKOZ
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2018 G300 cdi Professional Wagon

Hi Richard, I am with Kerry on this one. You need to access the clips retaining the headrests (all Recaros post 1979) by feeling around the behind the centre cushioning (from the front). A 2 person job - one to pull up on the headrest while another is pushing the clips in from the front.

I found this solution a while ago from an Alfa Forum. although from memory, they suggest removing the centre cushion which I did not find this necessary

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=15222&highlight=headrest

I hope that this helps you out.

John

#42885 - in reply to #42643
Author
Posted 9/4/2006 12:24 PM
roughneck
Expert

Got into the seat structure, the following pics point the way forward.

(recaro 001.jpg)

(recaro 002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments recaro 001.jpg (88KB - 11 downloads)
Attachments recaro 002.jpg (85KB - 11 downloads)
#42920 - in reply to #42885
Author
Posted 9/4/2006 2:27 PM
MazWest
Veteran

Gentlemen,

Thank-you so much for your friendly advice and willingness to share. Collectively you have not only shown me the way but have made suggestions which, when combined, have brought this to a successful conclusion.

What I found necessary is to un-clip the top center cushion where it attaches to a small metal bar inside the seat. Then un-hook the cloth upholstery (3 places) from the metal seat back thus exposing two cutouts in the foam cushion which house the elusive clips.

I found that if I pulled the headrest all the way up, I could pull one side above the latch and then disengage the other to effect complete removal of the headrest. It's amazing how easy it is when you know how to do it.

If anyone is stuck in the future, drop me a note.

Richard
#42940 - in reply to #42920
Author
Posted 9/4/2006 2:34 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Thank You !

It's threadss like these which make moderating this forum so rewarding. Thanks guys!
#42941 - in reply to #42940
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1