Page 1 of 1 1
Dining at Wendy's
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 8:35 AM
RonJeffries

Date registered: Dec 1899
Dining at Wendy's

I like having lunch at Wendy's, because I like their Spicy Chicken sandwich, and I can sit there reading a book and get so many Diet Pepsi refills that I can't get home again. At the one near my house, there's a really great parking place by the door that I often get, and I can sit inside and watch people looking at the SLK and commenting on it.

Yesterday I was leaving at the same time as another couple. The woman said what a nice car it was and I thanked her. Then she said that they had been wondering whether the car was the reason I had to eat at Wendy's. I assured them that no, I could afford to eat at McDonald's if I wanted to.

Edited by RonJeffries 5/7/2006 8:36 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 9:05 AM
woolly

RE: Dining at Wendy's

RonJeffries - 5/8/2006 1:35 AM I like having lunch at Wendy's, because I like their Spicy Chicken sandwich, and I can sit there reading a book and get so many Diet Pepsi refills that I can't get home again. At the one near my house, there's a really great parking place by the door that I often get, and I can sit inside and watch people looking at the SLK and commenting on it. Yesterday I was leaving at the same time as another couple. The woman said what a nice car it was and I thanked her. Then she said that they had been wondering whether the car was the reason I had to eat at Wendy's. I assured them that no, I could afford to eat at McDonald's if I wanted to.

.... you should be out driving Ron ...

#10255 - in reply to #10246
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 9:19 AM
Julien

RonJeffries - 5/7/2006 8:35 AM

I like having lunch at Wendy's, because I like their Spicy Chicken sandwich, and I can sit there reading a book and get so many Diet Pepsi...

A Spicy Chicken Sandwich is classic American legal poison. It has 37 grams of fat (10 saturated and trans) and a whopping 3000mg of sodium. Add cheese and bacon and you get a heart attack inducing 53 grams of fat (20 saturated and trans) and almost 4000mg of sodium. Pump it up with Biggie fries and you get 82 grams of fat (32 saturated and trans), and 4400mg of sodium, plus 4400mg of cholesterol. Hey, at least you had a diet drink.

Edited by Julien 5/7/2006 9:20 AM
#10256 - in reply to #10246
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 10:48 AM
bclark

Julien - 5/7/2006 8:19 AM

A Spicy Chicken Sandwich is classic American legal poison.

Julien:

It's good to hear your input again; have been missing it. Always
to the point, full of knowledge, with just a touch of acridity
#10271 - in reply to #10256
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 11:12 AM
alroumi

Re: Dining at Wendy's

I love Wendy's , There used to be one over here but I dont know what happend to it!
#10277 - in reply to #10246
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 11:30 AM
Shinigami

lol

Ron, if you had the vario roof remote setup from Piecha, you could open and close the top every now and then to let people gawk even more
#10282 - in reply to #10246
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 2:44 PM
RonJeffries

Julien - 5/7/2006 9:19 AM

A Spicy Chicken Sandwich is classic American legal poison. It has 37 grams of fat (10 saturated and trans) and a whopping 3000mg of sodium. Add cheese and bacon and you get a heart attack inducing 53 grams of fat (20 saturated and trans) and almost 4000mg of sodium. Pump it up with Biggie fries and you get 82 grams of fat (32 saturated and trans), and 4400mg of sodium, plus 4400mg of cholesterol. Hey, at least you had a diet drink. :cheers:

I appreciate the concern, and I'd not argue that I am thin as I ought to be, nor that I eat like a health expert, but the figures above don't quite correspond to my data. According to http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21lu.html, the Spicy has

15 grams of fat, not 37.
1250mg sodium, not 3000.

I don't have cheese or bacon on it (sounds good, though), nor do I have fries. The Spicy Chicken compares favorably to my favorite McDonald's meal, the Quarter Pounder with Cheese, which has 30 grams of fat, double the Spicy, but still less than 37, and that counts the cheese. It's 100 more calories, 530 compared to the Spicy's 430. The Spicy is 60mg of cholesterol, and even the QP is only 95. I'm not sure where your cholesterol figures are coming from.

For 430 calories and 15 grams of fat, it's hard to think of something with a lower harm to pleasure ratio. It's certainly better than what I plan to do to a pizza at Zukey Lake Tavern later this afternoon. With another diet pepsi, of course: I like the taste better.
#10331 - in reply to #10256
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 2:49 PM
RonJeffries

Shinigami - 5/7/2006 11:30 AM

lol

Ron, if you had the vario roof remote setup from Piecha, you could open and close the top every now and then to let people gawk even more ;)

I was thinking that myself. I've just about talked myself out of the module though, for these reasons:

1. Certain loss of warranty if anything bad ever happens. With people here with replaced engines and transmissions, that could be painful.

2. Unknown impact of having another item on the bus, in terms of overall bus performance.

3. Less than ideal electrical hookup with the little clip thing, though of course it could be done more nearly right if one really cared.

4. Low practical value, though admitted great fun from time to time.

I still haven't decided either way, but am definitely leaning away from doing it. It would be cool to sit and watch people gawk, though!

Edited by RonJeffries 5/7/2006 2:49 PM
#10333 - in reply to #10282
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 2:59 PM
woolly

... Ron. I'm impressed - in just 3 posts, u've taken this and possibly 2 other forums out of their rectal canals ...
#10338 - in reply to #10246
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 5:21 PM
RonJeffries

woolly - 5/7/2006 2:59 PM

... Ron. I'm impressed - in just 3 posts, u've taken this and possibly 2 other forums out of their rectal canals ... :cheers:

I'm not sure why you say so, but assuming that's a compliment ... thanks!
#10378 - in reply to #10338
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 11:07 AM
beverage

RonJeffries - 5/7/2006 1:35 PM

I like having lunch at Wendy's, because I like their Spicy Chicken sandwich, and I can sit there reading a book and get so many Diet Pepsi refills that I can't get home again. At the one near my house, there's a really great parking place by the door that I often get, and I can sit inside and watch people looking at the SLK and commenting on it.

Yesterday I was leaving at the same time as another couple. The woman said what a nice car it was and I thanked her. Then she said that they had been wondering whether the car was the reason I had to eat at Wendy's. I assured them that no, I could afford to eat at McDonald's if I wanted to.

You really can't go wrong with a Wendy's, and if you ask me it is ten times better than a McDonalds!!!

I could soo go for a Junior Bacon Cheese right now
#10678 - in reply to #10246
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 12:51 PM
bloflin

RonJeffries - 5/7/2006 1:49 PM

Shinigami - 5/7/2006 11:30 AM

lol

Ron, if you had the vario roof remote setup from Piecha, you could open and close the top every now and then to let people gawk even more ;)

I was thinking that myself. I've just about talked myself out of the module though, for these reasons:

1. Certain loss of warranty if anything bad ever happens. With people here with replaced engines and transmissions, that could be painful.

2. Unknown impact of having another item on the bus, in terms of overall bus performance.

3. Less than ideal electrical hookup with the little clip thing, though of course it could be done more nearly right if one really cared.

4. Low practical value, though admitted great fun from time to time.

I still haven't decided either way, but am definitely leaning away from doing it. It would be cool to sit and watch people gawk, though!

Ron, my $0.02 rebuttal, but of course it's your decision (I make no commission on Marcus's sales )

Warranty issue - they actually included a function to turn it off and make it "invisible", additionally, you could literally remove the whole thing in less than 10 minutes, without ANY indication it was every installed

Haven't seen and don't comprehend any bus performance issues (having COMAND versus not having COMAND would certainly be a much bigger impact, if any)

The power tap "clip" is a completely accepted method for tapping into a wire, and actually less disruptive, and less prone to failure than a full cut and splice.

Practical value, personal of course, but I find it 10X more useful in a practical way than the $1200 (near useless) Nav system I paid for.
#10699 - in reply to #10333
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 1:29 PM
RonJeffries

bloflin - 5/8/2006 12:51 PM

Ron, my $0.02 rebuttal, but of course it's your decision (I make no commission on Marcus's sales )

Warranty issue - they actually included a function to turn it off and make it "invisible", additionally, you could literally remove the whole thing in less than 10 minutes, without ANY indication it was every installed

Haven't seen and don't comprehend any bus performance issues (having COMAND versus not having COMAND would certainly be a much bigger impact, if any)

The power tap "clip" is a completely accepted method for tapping into a wire, and actually less disruptive, and less prone to failure than a full cut and splice.

Practical value, personal of course, but I find it 10X more useful in a practical way than the $1200 (near useless) Nav system I paid for. :(

Yes: I agree that the risk is low on the warranty thing. The impact could be quite high if the engine or trans blow, on the other hand: you can be sure the dealer and MB will be looking for a way out should that happen.

I think the bus impact is also low probability, but the device does daisy chain into the bus which will have some timing impact. We have also seen that it can get in a state where the roof thinks it's broken. One of those cases was "just" a ground problem -- the other one hasn't been resolved yet.

My son the master tech reports that in the short term the clips are good, and in the long term they tend to corrode and cause problems. I don't expect to have the car long term, but one never knows.

As for practical, I have my doubts, but it would be cool. I was thinking today at lunch that if I could walk away and have the car put its top up, I'd more likely do that at least sometimes, than leave it open, which I do now.

I'm loving hearing about it, and if there was an MB-approved upgrade, I'd be all over it. Just feeling a bit paranoid lately perhaps.
#10719 - in reply to #10699
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 7:43 PM
etyu

Julien - 5/7/2006 6:19 AM

A Spicy Chicken Sandwich is classic American legal poison. It has 37 grams of fat (10 saturated and trans) and a whopping 3000mg of sodium. Add cheese and bacon and you get a heart attack inducing 53 grams of fat (20 saturated and trans) and almost 4000mg of sodium. Pump it up with Biggie fries and you get 82 grams of fat (32 saturated and trans), and 4400mg of sodium, plus 4400mg of cholesterol. Hey, at least you had a diet drink. :cheers:

Good to hear from you again.
#10893 - in reply to #10256
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 11:28 AM
Ripple

I guess I'm not going to be around for long

2x double quarters with cheese, 9 nuggets and an apple pie is almost my staple diet

And don't forget the 2 BBQ sauces to dip the nuggets in !

Edited by Ripple 5/9/2006 11:29 AM
#11221 - in reply to #10246
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 1:06 PM
RonJeffries

Ripple - 5/9/2006 11:28 AM

I guess I'm not going to be around for long

2x double quarters with cheese, 9 nuggets and an apple pie is almost my staple diet

And don't forget the 2 BBQ sauces to dip the nuggets in !

Well, not that I'm a slim jim. But are you perhaps just a bit over your ideal weight?

I did a rough calculation. I used to eat 2 Spicy Chicken sandwiches after T'ai Chi class, which meets 3x a week. Assuming that I attended all classes all year (not quite true), I computed that if I made it one sandwich instead of two, I'd lose 25 pounds over the year. (Ceteris paribus, of course.)

Relatedly, my pal Chet's wife was talking with a dietician last night, and the dietician said that the way to diet is to make small changes for the better, not to try some radical sweeping change. Her suggestion was that Sue should order her usual lunch when she goes out, and then set some of it to the side of the plate thinking ... maybe I'll eat that later.

It seemed like good advice. I can do little things. Could even do some of them consistently, perhaps.
#11278 - in reply to #11221
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 5:07 PM
Ripple

Yes, perhaps a tad. Although I am a daily visitor to the gym, 7km on Xtrainer, 2kn on Rower and 9km on the exercise bike pretty much most days, I think it just keeps the status Quo
#11377 - in reply to #10246
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1