Page 1 of 1 1
7g Problems
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 6:59 PM
Ripple

Date registered: Dec 1899
7g Problems

Very bizarre today...driving along and came to a slight gradient, it seemed as though the clutch started to slip, engines rev rose and speed decreased. I pulled over, selected M mode (its a 55) and tried to pull off, it bunny hopped up the road. Pulling over ready to call the dealer, i thought I would give it one last try, it was fine and has remained so for the remaining 100 miles of the journey... anyone else experienced this ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 1:07 PM
RonJeffries

RE: 7g Problems

Ripple - 5/8/2006 6:59 PM

Very bizarre today...driving along and came to a slight gradient, it seemed as though the clutch started to slip, engines rev rose and speed decreased. I pulled over, selected M mode (its a 55) and tried to pull off, it bunny hopped up the road. Pulling over ready to call the dealer, i thought I would give it one last try, it was fine and has remained so for the remaining 100 miles of the journey... anyone else experienced this ?

Some people over time have reported jerky shifting, which was fixed by changing a valve, and something in the ECU. The transmission may have stored a code ... I'd have the dealer check.
#11279 - in reply to #10870
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 2:04 PM
Julien

Autos don't have a clutch but use a torque converter. AMG models have a full hard locking torque converter in all forward gears. It could have missed locking (or holding in the locked position) and maybe the compressor and pump become decoupled above a certain RPM if not locked.

Ron's advice is by far the best: Don't guess, let the service dept read the cods and cheek.
#11300 - in reply to #10870
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 5:11 PM
Ripple

Julien - 5/9/2006 7:04 PM

Autos don't have a clutch but use a torque converter. AMG models have a full hard locking torque converter in all forward gears. It could have missed locking (or holding in the locked position) and maybe the compressor and pump become decoupled above a certain RPM if not locked.

Ron's advice is by far the best: Don't guess, let the service dept read the cods and cheek.

Thanks for the replies. I was aware that the auto doesn't have a clutch, but it was the best way to describe the sensation. In any event I aim to get it checked out when I get the opportunity. Its actually been OK today once again, but I guess I should still have it investigated.
#11378 - in reply to #11300
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 6:09 PM
bloflin

Upon transmission fault, the autotrans has a "limp home mode". Sounds like you had a fault, it went into limp home mode, then it cleared later (did you power off and back on when you pulled over).

Fault should be stored in the error diags for dealer to see.

Did Check Engine Light come on?

There were a couple of us in early '05 builds that had the same issue (symptom was like yours). The had to replace the Trans Valve Body Assembly.

This was at 278 miles (brand new), for me. Over 6000 miles later, no probs.

However, I would have thought they would have caught that specific "manufacturing" problem and corrected by now. Of course, your problem could be different. How old is your car?
#11628 - in reply to #10870
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1