Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:24 PM
G1979
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G500 2005
Audio upgrade

I upgraded my radio, I was never happy with CD changers, and when I got the new G it was the first thing that I want it to change, but I want it to do it with several things in mind, first to keep the OEM look as much as possible, second to do as little cable cuting as possible, and three to have deck single CD and IPod ready, so I did my research and I chosse a Becker radio, unfortunally there are only a few for sale in the USA, so I got my from germany,(Becker Mexico Pro)

also I want it to try XM radio, and XM just came out with a very small reciver that I thinck is perfect(SportCaster).
I just finish the intallation and look good and works great, and the radio is just plug and play no cables to cut.

(CIMG7893 (2).JPG)

(CIMG7895 (2).JPG)

(CIMG7904 (2).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CIMG7893 (2).JPG (198KB - 14 downloads)
Attachments CIMG7895 (2).JPG (216KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments CIMG7904 (2).JPG (144KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:28 PM
G1979
Veteran

Re: Audio upgrade

sorry for the last Pic
#15182 - in reply to #15179
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:40 PM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899

Nice...did you change the speakers as well?
#15189 - in reply to #15179
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:46 PM
G1979
Veteran

No same speakers, I was thinking of adding a subW, but maybe later

thank you
JV
#15193 - in reply to #15179
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:54 PM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899

JV, if you want something simple, then check out Infinity Basslink.
#15196 - in reply to #15179
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 9:30 PM
G1979
Veteran

that was the one I was checking, it look nice, and it does not take to much space
thank you
#15202 - in reply to #15179
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 4:40 AM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss

Why not make a sub yourself ?

I have a rather large sub that I inherited from the former owner. It's a 4-th order bandpass enclosure with an old 8" Rockford Fosgate unit.

The sub takes up too much space, and it's the boom-boom typical car sub variety, so I'm going to make myself a new one.

Ideally, I want something that I can hide underneath the passenger seat, so that I have the sub amp on one side and the sub itself on the other side. A suitable unit for a sub like that would be a 10" Peerless XLS or XXLS, that can get by with a 15 litre infinite baffle enclosure. It won't play as loud as a bass reflex or a bandpass enclosure, but it will have much better fidelity. The amp is big enough anyway

I plan on getting some styrofoam blocks and glue them together to make a basis for cutting a model enclosure so I can utilise the space under the rear seat.

Basically, if you want to make a sub yourself, you have to decide on the enclosure type, first.

There are basically 4 enclosure types you can select:

Infinite baffle - a sealed enclosure with the driver on one side. Makes the best quality bass, but gives you the least efficiency (max dB and sensitivity). The easiest to implement correctly.

Bass reflex - a vented chamber with the driver on one side and a port vent. More power, deeper bass, less fidelity. More "boom-boom" type of sound.

4th order bandpass - a two-chamber solution with a sealed chamber on one side of the driver and a vented chamber on the other side. Even more power and less fidelity than bass reflex. "One-note" kind of bass.

6th order bandpass - a two-chamber solution with vented chambers on each side of the driver. The most powerful type of bass, but low fidelity. Distinct one-note kind of bass. Not really suitable for music to my ears.

The vented chambers have to be tuned for a specific resonance frequency by adjusting the length and area of the port.

When you're designing the enclosure, don't aim for the deepest, lowest bass you can. The cabin will take care of that for you. A gently sloping curve from around 80-100 Hz is the best for a car sub.

My suggestion for a really good sub would be the Peerless XLS (from Tymphany) in a 15-20L sealed enclosure with a separate amp for driving it. Use expanding glue and screws when you're assembling the enclosure. Use felt or carpet on the utside of the enclosure and add some fibreglass on the inside, approximatly to the filling grade of a loosely packed pillow. Oh - and don't make it cubical. Different lengths in X, Y and Z dimensions would be nice.

(Oh - in case you don't want to go to the hassle, the Basslink isn't a bad choice...)

Johan-Kr

Edited by Fenalaar 5/23/2006 4:43 AM
#15304 - in reply to #15179
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 12:26 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

do you have the steering wheel controls in your truck? or the display in the dash for the radio? I have them so it's the one thing that's keeping me from swapping out my headunit.

also there is quite a bit of wasted space inside the rear seats. The underside trim of the rear seats appears to be designs just to come flush with the floor, rather than maximize cabin space, so "IF" you don't mind cutting that, and evaluating how far down the padding of the seat can travel, you could earn yourself quite a bit of extra space to work with. I thought about putting my amp in the seats, but just put it under the front seat because as fun as this stuff is, i just wanted it done.

Edited by ewalberg 7/23/2006 12:28 PM
#32576 - in reply to #15182
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 1:17 PM
G1979
Veteran

ewalberg - 7/23/2006 12:26 PM

do you have the steering wheel controls in your truck? or the display in the dash for the radio? I have them so it's the one thing that's keeping me from swapping out my headunit.

also there is quite a bit of wasted space inside the rear seats. The underside trim of the rear seats appears to be designs just to come flush with the floor, rather than maximize cabin space, so "IF" you don't mind cutting that, and evaluating how far down the padding of the seat can travel, you could earn yourself quite a bit of extra space to work with. I thought about putting my amp in the seats, but just put it under the front seat because as fun as this stuff is, i just wanted it done.

I do not have the steering controls,
which headunit do you have? during my search for the radio, I stumble into a couple that will work with the steering control, I can not recall which ones.

JV
#32578 - in reply to #32576
Author
Posted 8/4/2006 2:01 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

late reply here... this is what i have. Europa swapped it in for me because i wanted CD in dash and don't like cd changers. I can't believe cars are still sold with tape players!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-Audio-10-Radio-CD-Play...
#35274 - in reply to #32578
Author
Posted 8/4/2006 6:36 PM
G1979
Veteran

ewalberg - 8/4/2006 2:01 AM

late reply here... this is what i have. Europa swapped it in for me because i wanted CD in dash and don't like cd changers. I can't believe cars are still sold with tape players!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-Audio-10-Radio-CD-Play...

I do not like CD changer either, that why I change the headunit, your radio have the same connectors in the back, that my new Becker radio, It will work fine, about the steering wheel control, I think it will work, but I am not sure you might call becker usa and find out
http://www.beckerautosound.com/

there are also adapters like this one

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=5782&cat=0&pag...

hope this helps you
#35446 - in reply to #35274
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1