Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : Newbie says hi and has a few queries

Page 1 of 1 1
Newbie says hi and has a few queries
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 8:35 PM
Frenchie

Date registered: Dec 1899
Newbie says hi and has a few queries

Hello to all.

Some background info: Just got my SLK 55 in October 05. Previous ride: a 2001 Corvette. For a year or so, during which I occasionally posted at the Corvette Forum under the same name, I vacillated between a new C6 and the SLK. Opting for the MB was the right decision: equal performance (at least in 0-60 times) w/superior suspension, infinitely more refinement, better looks, better sound... and the power hardtop! The Vette's lumbar support is a huge plus, but doesn't make up for the negatives (Dead Battery Syndrome, roofs flying off while driving, poor build quality in general, etc.).

Some Qs:

1. First of all, re: this forum itself, which I just discovered, can someone please tell me WTF happened at Benzworld that provoked the exodus? It can't be just the interface change. Some history, please. (Please don't refer me to another thread: they don't answer the question.)

2. A problem with my SLK: At 3000K miles, I started experiencing really clunky 2-1 downshifts. There's a TSB on this, of course, so I made an appointment to get it fixed. But before the appointment the problem went away. It comes back from time to time but never long enough to bring it to the dealership to show them. What gives?

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 11:28 PM
bclark

RE: Newbie says hi and has a few queries

Welcome!

Actually, I did come over to this forum because of its layout and user friendliness; although, I was
following a group of regulars, hoping to continue enjoying their posts. Since then,
BW has, in my opinion, improved their layout. Many of the regulars have seemed
to disappear from both sites. My fantasy is that there is yet another new SLK site somewhere.
I still visit and occasionally post at BW; however am a bit lost at this point
#15870 - in reply to #15813
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 1:10 AM
lennyr

Mine sometimes does the clunking 2-1 downshifts too. I think the reason it does this sometimes and not others is because of the adaptive shift program. If I've been driving very aggressively for a while, it clunks more. If I drive easy, it shifts smoother. Also, it became a lot less clunky after the 3K mile welcome service (and shifted much better in general).
#15897 - in reply to #15813
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 4:30 AM
steve-p

With regard to the shift issue, don't forget the gearbox adapts to driving style and it's possible that depending on the traffic conditions or journeys on a particular day, it is adjusting itself differently. However if there is a TSB, won't they still look at it for you?

As for this forum... well Benzworld switched to different forum software and used a layout which was so awful that many people hated it. It happened to coincide with the arrival of this one, so a lot of people started visiting here. Now, Benzworld have redone their layout, so both are being used.
#15913 - in reply to #15813
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 8:38 AM
Dinoman

Welcome, Frenchie! As I've indicated on another thread, I think that the timing of the format change at BW, the rollout of Pointed Three and the general confusion that reigned for awhile have all conspired to produce the quiet at BW. A lot of BW "regulars" stopped posting for awhile, and the momentum that had been going on there just seemed to fizzle out. Now that BW has gotten some of the bugs out, it appears to be too late to lure many people back. I find myself posting here before I will do so at BW, although I still post there occasionally as well. I think that the advice you have received from others here about the clunky downshifts is correct. However, it is still a good idea to have the dealer check it out. Here's to the summer driving season! Dinoman
#15937 - in reply to #15813
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 11:30 AM
Ynot

Re: Newbie says hi and has a few queries

I still like both sites, I came here b/c I was invited, I didn't mind the BW new interface, it was the same as any other car forums, it didn't feel special anymore but it didn't bother me. I still visit both frequently when I'm in the office.
#15978 - in reply to #15813
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 10:05 PM
Frenchie

Yes, the trans adapts to driving style, but I've never been able to get a clear explanation of that from anyone who knows. HOW QUICKLY does it adapt? Will 2 or 3 or 4 quick accelerations result in adaptation? A single acceleration? An afternoon at the track? And why does a trans that has adapted to spirited driving have a clunky 2-1 downshift? Doesn't the adaptation have to do with upshifting at higher rpm? And how quickly does it readapt to slow driving? Someone on another forum wrote that, on instructions from his dealer, he solved the same problem by engine-breaking to a stop from 50 mph five times. If the adaptation is that quick, then wouldn't as many fast accelerations bring back the clunkiness? And what... enough questions!
#16272 - in reply to #15813
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1