Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : After 10+ years, I have my 500 GE.

Page 1 of 7 <12.053.054.055.05 ... >
After 10+ years, I have my 500 GE.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/4/2012 8:40 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1
After 10+ years, I have my 500 GE.

So, after 10 years, I finally have my 500 GE.

This is a long story, but a good read.

I first became interested in the G Class around the year 2001, after hearing that MBUSA was planning on bringing them into the United States officially. I have always liked offroad cars and was getting tired of driving a Hummer H1 "daily".
I love my H1, but it is not a "daily driver". And neither is my LM002.
I have had, and always loved, Mercedes-Benz. I am truly a believer that they build the finest motor cars in the world.

The acquisition of the 500 GE would have done the SLML (Sports Leicht Market Letter) Proud. It was a 2 year process.

But first and foremost, I wish to thank some G friends of mine for their help, patience, and assistance...(The below listed names are in no particular order)

Thomas H (TH): For putting the 500 GE "poison" in my ear over 10 years ago. The "bug" to have a 500 GE never left. And I still have every one of your emails detailing your reasons for why I should go for a 500 GE "to get old with".

Dutch: The G friend I have known the longest, for the technical advice and shrewd transfer case recommendations, and general support.

AGuess: Half of the reason why I bought a 500 GE was because of you. We became friends over 500 GE discussions and happen to have many other interests in common.

Darren & Denise Collie / Collie Autoworks: Darren / Collie Autoworks in San Rafael, California is the most meticulous mechanic I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and doing business with. Darren was responsible for the Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) on my 500 GE. I have never seen a more jam packed shop with happy customers. He literally had 20 customers walk in and out while I was at his facility. If you see a G in California, you need a thorough PPI, Collie Autoworks is excellent. Every customer was all smiles. Amazing establishment. Really tops. Wish we had something similar on the East Coast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn6z5r93efU

Mike Serpe: Who works together and is a friend of Collie Autoworks, for his dissection of the transfer case and expert recommendations on moving forward with the repair/replacement procedure.

Kurt, Franz, Alois, Stefan, and Karin in Graz for "factory direct" technical support and assistance, along with providing parts to me via DHL.

Andy Hornby: My Scottish friend who had a 500 GE for nearly 4 years who was very familiar with the vehicle and gave me advice.

Mortinson: My Spanish friend who has a friend with a 500 GE that he was very familiar with.

Harald / 4x4ABC: For his excellent web information on the 500 GE (his site and a French website are the only ones that cover this special model) and for the Transfer Case repair CD.

Ben A. (SilverSurfer, with Kleeman/Brabus G Cabrio): For the long friendship surrounding our mutual LM002 and Gwagen ownership along with similar interests in owning rare automobiles and expert transactional advice for my "Purple People Eater".

G-AMG: For WIS and EPC assistance and our "trade" for maintenance products. This is the most meticulous "read the manufacturer spec sheets" person I have ever met, aside from myself. Bravo!

Ilya: My Russian 500 GE friend, for advice on potential paint problem areas and the pictogram/photo shop emails back and forth.

Hans Hehl: Another German G expert, for transfer case advice. He also wrote a damn good G book.

Background: Circa 2002, I decided I wanted a Gwagen as a semi-daily driver. I had read the news articles and saw that MB USA, LLC had finally allowed the G to be brought in and sold alongside their S-Class and CL-Models, without fear of the G tarnishing the luxury value of their sedans and saloons.

I test drove a lovely Black Opal 2002 G500 that was new from my local Mercedes-Benz dealer and really enjoyed the test drive. Shortly thereafter, the owner of the dealership, a friend of mine, called me and offered me the 2003 AMG G55 that he bought for his wife. She hated the suspension and was done with it after 300 miles. He needed to get rid of it and I bought it. Brilliant Silver Metallic, it was excellent, made great exhaust sounds, and had good reliability, after transfer case control unit TSBs were addressed. But somehow, the Emails from Thomas H. in Germany haunted me and I kept looking at 500 GEs.

It must have been a combination of the paint, and rarity, that did it for me. I really liked the paint. Typically, the 500 GE was painted Amethyst Blue Metallic. However, in the 70 or so 500 GEs I have seen for sale (ALL FACTORY 500 GEs), about 10% were also painted in a "Forest Green", "Anthracite", "Silver" or "Tan" colour scheme for customers that did not want the special "Amethyst Blue Metallic" paint. I reiterate, it is possible to have a 500 GE from factory that was NOT amethyst blue metallic. That being said, I really loved the special paint colour. And the interior, bi-colour black and grey leather. It oozed 1980s luxury and excess. I am also a collector. The main caveat that I use to evaluate an acquisition is that the object must be irreplaceable (or nearly irreplaceable) because the manufacturing process and craft that was used to make it no longer exists in the same form today. This is what makes something unique.

Many have argued that the build quality of 1990s G Class models surpasses that of current models. I believe this assessment to be correct. I also believe that as a result of accountants and shareholder value, it will be hard for Daimler to return to their 1980s-esque quality levels of production.

I really loved the AMG G55, but wanted something to "get old with" that would not box me in with computers, etc...The 500 GE fit this bill, while being rare. If they get rid of gasoline, I can run CNG or propane, or whatever. It was a simple vehicle, free of the fiberoptics and canbus networks that are found on "modern" models.

My choices were obviously limited, and I looked in Germany for a while at several. But you really take a huge risk dealing with RIs (Registered Importers), as so few cars are imported these days, they tend to make their money up on the few jobs that they do have. Without the ability to quote a firm fixed price on conversion, I passed, and waited. And waited. Until finally, a 500 GE came up for sale...

To Be Continued....

Edited by H1LM002G55 1/4/2012 10:30 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/4/2012 9:42 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: After 10+ years, I have my 500 GE.

Pictures!!!
#198716 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 2:35 AM
Reckless

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle(s): S600, 280GE, QX4
Re: After 10+ years, I have my 500 GE.

Congrats on finding your ultimate G. I share your philosophy on how great the earlier G's were compared to the new ones. They definitely don't make 'em like they used to. Interesting to see that you sought one out even though you already have some exotic SUVs.
#198723 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 9:19 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

That is part of being a "collector"...
#198732 - in reply to #198723
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 10:05 AM
brabus g36
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 89 230GE cabrio, 88 280GE LWB, 87 300GD pickup

10 years for finding a mercedes G wagon. Based on the other cars you own I can not tell you had a low budget. I hope that after searching al that time that you found one that is better then perfect.
How many 500ge are in the US?
pics please.
#198733 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 10:14 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

brabus g36 - 1/5/2012 10:05 AM

10 years for finding a mercedes G wagon. Based on the other cars you own I can not tell you had a low budget. I hope that after searching al that time that you found one that is better then perfect.
How many 500ge are in the US?
pics please.

You may have not read my post thoroughly.

There are seven (7) 500GEs in the United States from my research and due diligence.

These are "rare birds" as they say...

#198734 - in reply to #198733
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 10:36 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Picking up where I left off on the 500 GE story....

Around this same time that I became determined to own a 500 GE, Daimler Benz began with the policy of not allowing parts for "Grey Market" cars to be exported outside the European Union.

This initially concerned me, along with all of the rest that is associated with "Grey Market" cars. I am (currently) relieved that competent U.S. dealers have been both happy to and able to order parts for Euro Spec cars without much hassle and decent delivery times. We will see how long this continues for.

So, here is a lesson. It is IMPERATIVE that if you are going to buy a "Grey Market" car, you need to make sure the vehicle has both EPA and DOT release letters. No DOT release and you are in an accident? Insurance will say "So Sorry".

So: Step One is to call Rena Lee at DOT and have her verify that a DOT Release Letter was issued based on vehicle VIN Number. I would also pay DOT the $19 USD processing fee to have them Email you a copy of the release to create a proper paper trail from a .GOV email address.

Step Two is to call EPA (they outsourced the call center and it is run by contractors) and have them verify the signature on the EPA release letter. Since EPA moved their offices from Washington, D.C. to Michigan, they have files spread between both locations and do signature verification based on you providing them with a copy of the EPA release letter.

With the above sorted, you can move forward whilst knowing you are legally compliant.

It is a bit of a process, but you need to do your homework and this step is important.

-----

My other concern with a Grey Market purchase was the mileage of the vehicle. I had heard from several brokers in Germany that sold cars to the U.S. that, at one time, it was not against German law to reset the mileage on odometers. I have never heard or seen of a RI (Registered Importer) doing this, but they often receive the cars after being in the hands of a broker, and some brokers are unscrupulous.

Thankfully, one of my companies manufacturers for Daimler-Benz/Mercedes and, with a call to the VIP center in Germany, and a VIN Code, I was able to receive kilometer verification along with the last service detail.

I was truly in luck when I called, because Mercedes was just about to bin these records. They only keep them for a set period of time and I was just on the cusp of making it.

This was a relief and it sure beats looking at accelerator and brake pedal, and front cross member, to determine actual wear and mileage.

But then I wondered to myself...."Would it be possible to get the complete history of this 500 GE"?

...To be continued...

Edited by H1LM002G55 1/5/2012 11:11 AM
#198736 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 10:45 AM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)

Now that you have obtained the object of your affection, what comes next? Congratulations, by the way.

Edited by BrentG500 1/5/2012 10:46 AM
#198737 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 10:55 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Why thank you.

That is an interesting question.

Probably a Defender 110 Crew Cab. Or an Eileen Gray ostrich egg lamp....But then I heard a G65 may be on the map...

It never ends...There is always something.
#198738 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 11:31 AM
4x4abc

Vehicle(s): 02 G500

it has always been against German law to manipulate the odometer.
#198742 - in reply to #198738
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 11:43 AM
H1LM002G55
Expert

4x4abc - 1/5/2012 11:31 AM

it has always been against German law to manipulate the odometer.

That is good to know.

It would make sense to me.

I am just reiterating what I was told by a broker on the East Coast of the U.S. who happened to bring in a number of Grey Market cars over the years.

I am GLAD that this is the case.

But nevertheless, I did my homework and due diligence to verify mileage.
#198743 - in reply to #198742
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 12:15 PM
4x4abc

I used to be in the business - odometers were heavily "played with" before and after shipping (Germany and USA)

a long time ago horses were bought and sold - seller fraud was common
now we buy and sell cars - the attitude of the sellers/dealers has not changed

(one of the reasons) I got out of the business was, that I was not willing to do what was expected of me
#198745 - in reply to #198743
Author
Posted 1/5/2012 1:41 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

4x4abc - 1/5/2012 12:15 PM

I used to be in the business - odometers were heavily "played with" before and after shipping (Germany and USA)

a long time ago horses were bought and sold - seller fraud was common
now we buy and sell cars - the attitude of the sellers/dealers has not changed

(one of the reasons) I got out of the business was, that I was not willing to do what was expected of me

Harald, you are a wise man. This is why I hope members spend some time seeing if records add up on Grey Market purchases.
This is all very true and I am aware of same.
#198750 - in reply to #198745
Author
Posted 1/6/2012 8:17 PM
AGuess
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 93 500GE, 93 500GE, 2002 G500

Congrats my friend. You have acquired what I expect to be one of the best 500GE's anywhere. They are great to own, drive and maintain. My kids love theirs and they are hard to kill.

I wish you years and years of enjoyment.

AGuess
#198800 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/6/2012 11:15 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

AGuess - 1/6/2012 8:17 PM

Congrats my friend. You have acquired what I expect to be one of the best 500GE's anywhere. They are great to own, drive and maintain. My kids love theirs and they are hard to kill.

I wish you years and years of enjoyment.

AGuess

Thank you my friend. I really enjoy driving it. It is a different feel from the G55. The 500 GE is a real tank. And yet it remains, "The Gentleman's G".

#198814 - in reply to #198800
Author
Posted 1/6/2012 11:39 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

So, picking up where I left off...

I was first able to get a mileage report from Germany when the car went into a service center to have the battery changed.

Following this, and, after getting the DOT and EPA paperwork sorted out and confirmed, I hopped on a plane and went to go visit the G.

I had a KBR contractor zip bag filled with stuff. A M117 workshop manual, 2 G books, M117 engine sensor printouts highlighting differences between Euro and US engines. Checklist for pre-purchase inspection, etc...Most importantly, I had 500 GE memorabilia to show the seller, who was also a big collector. An old timer born in the 1930s, I knew he wanted the truck to go to a good home. And it is always up to the buyer to demonstrate an above average level of knowledge and enthusiasm for whatever the object may be that they are interested in acquiring.

I "struck gold" so to say when I saw the truck and found the original service manual with full service stamp history.

In the first page of the service manual, a stamp was placed with the name and phone number of the Mercedes Center that sold and serviced the 500 GE.

I took digital pictures of this to document the information and, when I flew back to S Florida after the PPI, I did some further homework.

I had my local dealer phone the German dealer and request a complete service history on the 500 GE, based on the VIN.

I was extremely fortunate that these records still were in existence, and was gratified to see what was returned on the service history side....Only 7 minor Warranty Claims since the 500 GE was new. And I knew it was a one owner car.

This was all very promising and demonstrated to me that it did not start out life "as a lemon".....

Very pleased with the progress of my due diligence, another item had always stuck in the back of my mind...

When the 500 GE was "pre sold" (none were offered for sale from new on the dealership floor, they were offered on a special order basis to owners of the S Class and G Class as an exclusive model), upon the signing of the contract, a sterling silver Tie Pin with the 500 GE silhouette was given to the new owner, along with a sterling silver plaque with the 500 GE engraved, numbered "book matched" with the sales order.

I had hunted for these items for years and had never seen them turn up for sale...As a one owner car, I then began to wonder, would it be possible to find the original owner, to ask perhaps, if they had saved these special items.

To be continued.....

Edited by H1LM002G55 1/6/2012 11:40 PM
#198816 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/14/2012 12:14 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

On the 27th of September, I called the owner of my 500 GE in Hamburg, Germany. Hamburg is a very well-to-do city, and I knew it was a multiple Mercedes family. All good, in terms of establishing that the vehicle was well looked after.

I made it along briefly in German, before realizing that he did not speak English. We parted ways on the phone in the most respectful manner possible, considering two different dialects were being used....I had to switch over to English part way through the brief call.

Undeterred, I spent an hour writing a letter in English to Mr and Mrs previous owner, and subsequently translating the letter into German. I ended up finding their fax number on the internet. Sheer luck. Of all the gin joints in all the world.

I faxed them a nicely written letter in German, and, the following day, on the 29th of September, I called back.

The German husband and wife were BLOWN AWAY. I had found THEIR car.

They had sold their car in the year 2000 to Mercedes Niederlassung Munchen, a dealer that I have also done business with (remember, I have a company that manufactures for Daimler and Mercedes). I even knew the salesmen they dealt with, Oliver Hufnagel.

After brief introductions, the husband put me on the phone with his wife, whom the 500 GE belonged to (!). She loves the G-Klasse, and ended up replacing her 500 GE with a G400 CDI CABRIO (!).

After a nice chat, we exchanged emails, and I received this lovely message from Mrs. Remember, this was HER car.

Hello "H1LM002G55",

Ill write you from my little daughter´s account M*******. You can answer us over her account.
this is really amazing with your cars. we think our car found a good home:))
next time when you come to germany you happily invited to our home close to hamburg to have a look at my G class i drive right now

First, I want to answer your questions.

1. The Mercedes never had any technical or mechanical problems.
2. Yes we used to have the Mercedes with Brabus aluminum wheels and Brabus exhaust.
3. The Mercedes was accident free.
4. We still have the tin picture from the 500 special edition.It has a number on it: #61 and there are 500 special editions worldwide. But I never received a tie needle because it was my car and Im a woman.
5. Ill pack together everything what I still have from the Mercedes including the tin picture, etc. and send it to you. But I still have to signs "V8" who belongs to the left and the right side louver from the car. If you like to have them just let me know. We pulled them down because people got jelous driving a car like this in Germany. So they didnt know what car you drive.

Please remember, the above was sent from native German Speakers that live in Germany and they did their best to send an Email in English. Forgive the spelling and grammar errors, please! It is a good story...

#199115 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/14/2012 12:18 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Shortly thereafter, the daughter emailed me, on the account that Mrs sent me the above message on.

She sent me this:

"When my dad sold the car my mum cried and was really upset. She really loved it and if you want that she still loves the car then you should leave the Brabus accessories But she also said that is now your car and you can do whatever you like to do....

And she painfully forgot about her car in all these years.

So now, when you contact us, she remembered all the funny stories with her car, her kids (us, we are 3 girls, M*****, M**** and me) and dad and we almost laugh every day. Every day she remembers another story and tells us about it Really funny.

I am sure you think I am nuts, but the proof is in the pudding...

Have a look.....

Edited by H1LM002G55 1/14/2012 12:37 PM
#199116 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/14/2012 12:35 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Take a look:

(img1769e.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments img1769e.jpg (219KB - 2 downloads)
#199118 - in reply to #198712
Author
Posted 1/14/2012 12:46 PM
4x4abc

I have the tie clip, if you want it
#199119 - in reply to #199118
« View previous thread :: View next thread »