Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/14/2012 9:38 PM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350
Photo DI'M'- A/C Pump Clutch R/R

To my Great disappointment, the "Queen" finally made its way out of the Body Shop after nearly 5 months.

During her stay at the "Spa", she picked up quite a number of "Garage Gremlins"... Malfunctioning items COMPLETELY unrelated to a rear-end collision, and all systems which were working Perfectly fine for the last 14 years/160,000 miles.

One such system is the Air Conditioner. Both the MB Body Shop, and the Dealer both say, "Oh, sitting around for 5 months, it's bound to happen"... "Possible" says I.... I have ALWAYS been Anal-Compulsive about A/C, and run the A/C at least 10 minutes per week, all year around, even in winter.

Long story short, the shop sent it back to the Dealer who Diagnosed a "Bad A/C Clutch". According to them, it is not that much more to do the whole pump... To the tune of a Zillion dollars, of course. I asked the tech IF he connected 12v Directly to the Clutch Coil.... "No. The HHT would not activate the Clutch"

I said my polite "thank you, but no thank you.." and took the car.

Well, I opted to take the Coil apart myself, and while taking it apart, guess what "I" found!!! The stupid A/C Plug was UN-PLUGGED!! Since I have never even been in that area, it certainly wasn't ME! Kinda' hard to believe a "Garage Gremlin" could Un-Plug the thing... they are in there TIGHT.

"Ahhhhm, Easy-Shmeezy 10 second Fix!"......... NOT!!

I plugged it in, and NOTHING! No Clutch Activation.

I started with the Diagnostics of the Supply Plug, using the STAR to turn the Clutch ON/OFF, and measuring the voltage. It was a nice 12v ON, and 8v Off. OK, so the computer/Harness is fine. I guess it IS the Clutch.

When I got down to the Coil, the Wiring really crumbled in my hands. It MUST have been shorting to the Pump Body. Strange, because the unit was working perfectly before...

I Re-Wired the Coil (Since DENSO does NOT sell the Coil Separately! only the Whole Clutch system. MB has a "Re-Manufactured" part number for the Clutch, AND for the A/C Pump. They are under the "STARTEK INFO" Site, under http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/welcome.jsp They are NOT "Re-built", or "Overhauled"... but actually REMANUFACTURED to NEW SPecs. They come with new part warranty, but the good thing is, they are nearly HALF the price of NEW.

After Re-Wired with those really COOL! ELEKTRALINK Connectors ( I stumbled across them in WIS). http://www.calcentron.com/Pages/elektralink/elektralink_sealed_sold... Since I really suck at Soldering, these are a godsend...

Coil reads a nice normal 3.5 Ohms. Soooo IT's fine, too. The Clutch Surfaces looked fine, so Re-Installed everything, and now I have Happy KOOOLLLLDDDD Air!!

Just for Reference, the job IS Do-Able with the pump In-Situ, and you DON'T have to remove any of the Freon.

As in my Last post, this is NOT intended to be a Guide.... it is SOLELY for "Entertainment Purposes ONLY"...

G

(1.JPG)

(2.JPG)

(3.JPG)

(4.JPG)

(5.JPG)

(6.JPG)

(7.JPG)

(8.JPG)

(9.JPG)

(10.JPG)

(11.JPG)

(12.JPG)

(13.JPG)

(14.JPG)

(15.JPG)

(16.JPG)

(17.JPG)

(18.JPG)

(19.JPG)

(20.JPG)

(21.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1.JPG (243KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 2.JPG (187KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 3.JPG (188KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 4.JPG (290KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 5.JPG (152KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 6.JPG (135KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 7.JPG (191KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 8.JPG (282KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 9.JPG (204KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 10.JPG (297KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 11.JPG (233KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 12.JPG (210KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 13.JPG (200KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 14.JPG (243KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 15.JPG (251KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 16.JPG (199KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 17.JPG (210KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 18.JPG (229KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 19.JPG (202KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 20.JPG (187KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 21.JPG (241KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1