Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Changing to Koni SPX front shocks

Page 3 of 3 123
Changing to Koni SPX front shocks
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/30/2013 5:42 PM
H1LM002G55
Expert

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle(s): 500 GE, G55, LM002, H1
Re: Changing to Koni SPX front shocks

512bbi - 6/30/2013 3:36 PM

H1LM002G55 - 6/29/2013 8:29 AM

Good to know.

I adjusted all 4 of my Koni Shocks.

You were 100% correct...they come adjusted a little off of full soft.

I set the rear shocks to "full soft" and cranked them all the way to the left (anti-clockwise).

I set the front shocks a half turn (180 degrees) to the right (clockwise).

I will let you know how I like them. I have only put about 10 miles on them so far....and I need to change my tie rod and get my front end right.

For the money the konis are tough to beat.

If one measures carefully the amount of turns from full soft to full hard some times there is a small variation from shock to shock as the mechanism is not a swiss watch but just an adjustable foot valve.
That is why they are adjusted even at the factory.
These shocks can get easily damaged if compressed beyond specs which seems to happen to a few members here.

It is frustrating when you talk to an employee at Koni and they make claims that are false because they are ignorant about their own product.
One of the tricks for accurate adjusting for each pair(of fronts or rears) is to adjust from full hard than full soft so they turn out even,and pay attention to little details as any loose free travel when you change directions(clock wise or anti) to be taken into account when measuring half turns.

The adjust ability is big and so are the changes every half turn
So take out the slack and mark stuff when adjusting .
Truth is if you made one full soft and one full hard on the same axle will could not tell when you drive,it might even feel just right on a G!

Mario

1. I agree. Hard to beat for the price.

2. How do you compress them beyond specs to the point of damaging them? What would create that scenario? Does the adjustment full hard or full soft impact this?

3. It really bothered me that they did not have "timing markers" on the shock body. That is why I went "Full Soft" on all of them, cranked over all the way anti-clockwise...And then adjusted the half turn on both front shocks. How close should I be to having them dialed in correctly if I followed this adjustment procedure?

4. Koni really should advise customers to not F*#( with the shocks if they arrive adjusted. The instructions really sucked. Pictograms. Made me feel as if I was buying a foreign produced item made in China. The instructions were that elementary. The build quality was very nice, however.

#215354 - in reply to #215342
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/30/2013 10:35 PM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430
RE: Changing to Koni SPX front shocks

You should be fine the way you got them now.

After a lot of miles you could adjust them from full hard something like 5 half turns for the rear and four for the front.

The way they get damaged is when the minimum length of the shock is exceeded by the suspension when the soft stock springs get compressed all the way including the stock helper spring bump stop .
The later when compressed can move sometimes beyond the min designed suspension and shock length (almost to the bear axle) when people do jumps or abusive driving with soft stock springs and helper springs.
This kind of behavior can blow the foot valves and make the shock worthless.
Another way is when the shock is too long so the max length might be ok or better than stock but the min length is too long.
That happens when buying the wrong part or a shock designed for lifted trucks with out setting the truck proper.

90 series does not have any of these issues since is protected by design of operation while longer than stock.
They are also a five min job per axle to adjust on the truck since all you have to do is remove one nut pull the bolt and adjust easily with out pressure or force from a gas shock.
They get by with out gas pressure by having huge twin body oil reservoir.

Mario

Edited by 512bbi 6/30/2013 10:41 PM
#215357 - in reply to #206763
Author
Posted 4/9/2014 6:56 AM
greybrick
Regular

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle(s): 94 G350 DT

Hi Dave G, are you still happy with the Koni SPX front shocks set close to soft and if so how many miles are on them now ?
#221227 - in reply to #206763
Author
Posted 4/9/2014 10:57 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

Still performing perfectly for me. Sorry I don't know how many miles are on them. The truck now has I think 452,000. Miles are rolling up more slowly now that I split the driving between the two Gs. But yes I'm still very happy with the konis. I bought some cheap Jeep shocks for the 230 and am reminded every day how I wish the $ for konis for that truck was a priority right now.

-Dave G.
#221246 - in reply to #221227
Author
Posted 7/15/2017 6:59 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
For your entertainment

Looks like it's 5 years on now and I've finally bought another pair of Konis for the rear to match the ones in the front. I too could not decipher the pictograms on the "instruction" sheet and so consulted the internet to be sure I got the adjustment procedure correct. Stumbled across this old thread. Just thought I'd give you folks the laugh at how slow I move.

All the best!

-Dave G.

PS - FWIW, I think about 470k miles on the truck now. This is more for me than you all. This list is my best maintenance log. Just found out by reading this thread that I'd put new rotors on in 2012.

Edited by hipine 7/15/2017 7:01 PM
#236710 - in reply to #221246
Author
Posted 7/15/2017 11:39 PM
WEBIII
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle(s): 461.318, 463.241
RE: For your entertainment

hipine - 7/15/2017 5:59 PM
PS - FWIW, I think about 470k miles on the truck now. This is more for me than you all. This list is my best maintenance log. Just found out by reading this thread that I'd put new rotors on in 2012. :)

This is a funny post. Maybe you'll hit 500k miles by 2020.

The Konis on my old 460 provided a much kinder ride than the aged Bilsteins on my 463 offer. It's about time to upgrade the 463.
#236712 - in reply to #236710
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 3 of 3 123