Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W140 S Class : Is this normal?

Page 1 of 4 1234
Is this normal?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 7:26 AM
zeq

Date registered: Dec 1899
Is this normal?

I just don’t know. The whole of Monday, the car is in the garage without starting. So today I want to wash the car and started the engine to drive out of the garage and straight away off the engine. After washing I started it and drive it further down the drive way and straight away off it.

At night I want to reverse the car back to the garage and start it. In the garage, I off the engine and can smell fuel when getting out of the car. I was getting worried so I on the engine again and the smell of fuel can be smell and after like 40sec the smell is gone. So my question is, is that normal or I have leaking fuel line or the engine is not warm up enough when i started the car to wash in the Morning.

Zeaq.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 4:27 PM
NZ Benz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320
RE: Is this normal?

Might be sparkplugs man, if you can smell fuel then the fuel might be pumping into the motor but not being ignited by the plugs. Other than tha I have no idea, alot of the technical guys are still at BenzWorld so I trust you have posted there.
#17670 - in reply to #17494
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 1:11 AM
1996_S500

NZ Benz - 5/30/2006 1:27 PM

Might be sparkplugs man, if you can smell fuel then the fuel might be pumping into the motor but not being ignited by the plugs. Other than tha I have no idea, alot of the technical guys are still at BenzWorld so I trust you have posted there.

yea, that sounds about right, I had a similar problem on my W126, and all that it was was the spark plugs.
#17832 - in reply to #17670
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 1:34 AM
zeq

Re: Is this normal?

Today the fuel smell is gone after few seconds.I assume it's normal.
#17840 - in reply to #17494
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 9:20 AM
1996_S500

zeq - 5/30/2006 10:34 PM

Today the fuel smell is gone after few seconds.I assume it's normal.

maybe it was a cold day or something. Hopefully, I doesn't come back.
#17901 - in reply to #17840
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 9:36 AM
zeq

One day without starting and yeah that's normal!!
#17908 - in reply to #17494
Author
Posted 6/18/2006 6:35 AM
zeq

I use the car all day yesterday. Today I started it at 4.30PM to wash it. Some fuel smell can be smelled. It's gone after the engine is warm but when I bend down to wash the wheels/rim(front) I can smell fuel there.Is that normal? And is this spark plugs expensive to replace?

#24387 - in reply to #17494
Author
Posted 6/18/2006 6:45 AM
NZ Benz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1993 300SEL/S320

zeq - 6/18/2006 6:35 AM

I use the car all day yesterday. Today I started it at 4.30PM to wash it. Some fuel smell can be smelled. It's gone after the engine is warm but when I bend down to wash the wheels/rim(front) I can smell fuel there.Is that normal? And is this spark plugs expensive to replace?

Hold on so the car is just sitting in the driveway and it smells? Is the car starting ok? Also if you go for a long drive does the car smell like fuel from the front when you park it? Is the car driving ok?

Also when you move it out to wash it I guess you are only moving the car a very short distance, because when you turn teh car on it will run a bit rich in the mix that always happens when teh car starts teh car will pump a bit more fuel in than it normally needs to just to get it going.

With the spark plugs I don't know the exact cost but they are cheap enough to replace that it makes it worth your whilke even if it is not them. A bit of advice from what I have read just stick with the MB ones. I have not priced them but someone said that they were about $2 US each.
#24393 - in reply to #24387
Author
Posted 6/18/2006 6:56 AM
zeq

NZ Benz - 6/18/2006 6:45 AM

Hold on so the car is just sitting in the driveway and it smells? Is the car starting ok? Also if you go for a long drive does the car smell like fuel from the front when you park it? Is the car driving ok?

Also when you move it out to wash it I guess you are only moving the car a very short distance, because when you turn teh car on it will run a bit rich in the mix that always happens when teh car starts teh car will pump a bit more fuel in than it normally needs to just to get it going.

With the spark plugs I don't know the exact cost but they are cheap enough to replace that it makes it worth your whilke even if it is not them. A bit of advice from what I have read just stick with the MB ones. I have not priced them but someone said that they were about $2 US each.

My car starts normally. I don’t smell any fuel after long distance drive and the car drives very smooth except the rear tyre needs to be change.

Yeah I watch the WC and woke up late just now and the car is in the garage the whole day. The car is very dirty because of yesterday’s rain.
So I just drive out the car out from the garage to wash it and switch it after the engine after 5 mins.

So I guess that’s explains it. I will bring it to the dealer next few weeks time to double check and spark plug price. Thanks
#24394 - in reply to #24393
Author
Posted 6/18/2006 11:47 AM
1996_S500

NZ Benz - 6/18/2006 3:45 AM

yea, you are right NZ Benz. They were about $4 for me, but you were very accurate. I am pretty sure you can get the cheapest ones for $2, but MB ones were about $4.

Good Luck zeq
#24419 - in reply to #24393
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 9:07 AM
zeq

Going to bring it to the dealer tommorrow. Because I can smell fuel/petrol after long 30mins of driving at the car park.

What other factor might cause this smell?

1) Spark park
2) Fuel line?
#24672 - in reply to #17494
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 11:33 AM
zeq

Bump
#24708 - in reply to #17494
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 11:41 AM
1996_S500

zeq - 6/19/2006 6:07 AM

Going to bring it to the dealer tommorrow. Because I can smell fuel/petrol after long 30mins of driving at the car park.

What other factor might cause this smell?

1) Spark park
2) Fuel line?

haha, typo. Spark Park! LOL.

That's all that I can think of. Spark Parks, and Fuel Lines.
#24712 - in reply to #24672
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 11:48 AM
zeq

At least you know what I'm talking.

How serious is it? If it's the Fuel line?

#24718 - in reply to #24712
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 1:21 PM
1996_S500

zeq - 6/19/2006 8:48 AM

At least you know what I'm talking.

How serious is it? If it's the Fuel line?

i don't really know much about the fuel line. I think the fuel line would be more expensive, because it is actually inside the car's fuel system, unlike the spark plugs, which are much easier to replace.
#24742 - in reply to #24718
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 2:10 PM
zeq

What do you think? Most probably the spark plugs?
#24756 - in reply to #17494
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 3:00 PM
zeq

1996_S500,

I remember you said your 560SEL did a spark plugs change. How long did it take for the mechanic to replace it?
#24766 - in reply to #24756
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 3:21 PM
KylePavao

Zeq,

Sorry to rag on you mate but you gotta read more about cars! The spark plugs are probably the chepest thing you will replace on your S320. I believe there are six of them, since it isn't a dual spark engine, and its as simple as taking a bolt and putting it back in. Personally, there is no reason for you to take this to a mechanic and have them replace them, since its such a simple job. Its the automotive equivalent of making a microvaveable dinner. If the mechanic charges you a lot of money, screw him and do it yourself. We can (or at least I can) walk you through it.

Also fuel line is nothing spectacular..see the little lines running into your engine, with one at each cylinder? Those are the fuel injectors, and the line the feeds each one is the fuel line. Its very easy to replace, and since your car isn't an old diesel like mine, you don't have to prime the lines with fuel.

#24773 - in reply to #17494
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 3:29 PM
1996_S500

KylePavao - 6/19/2006 12:21 PM
Zeq,
Sorry to rag on you mate but you gotta read more about cars!

C'mon Kyle,

the whole purpose of an automotive forum is just to help people out, no need to rag. Just explain. ya know?

Thanks bud,
#24777 - in reply to #24773
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 4:43 PM
AsianML

So Kyle says the W140 isn't a dual spark engine. When did MB start using them?

It's a PITA to have to buy twice the amount of spark plugs you'd normally need, but I hear the gains from it are justifiable.
#24791 - in reply to #24777
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 4 1234