Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Any one using OME medium springs and shocks?

Page 1 of 1 1
Any one using OME medium springs and shocks?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/11/2018 2:30 AM
Aircruiser
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, 1986 300GD, 2017 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
Any one using OME medium springs and shocks?

I am in need of a completely new suspension on my MY 2000 G500. I'm at 150K miles on original springs and shocks. I have a broken spring and have broken the shock perch on my left rear. I am constantly configured for overland travel with high weight with little to no chance of running empty.

I love the ride of my 460 with red/white/ Koni Raids, but on my 463 with my high load are OME springs and shocks more sensible?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/11/2018 8:30 PM
512bbi
Expert

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): 05G55kge,Range rover classic,clk55amg,ML 430
RE: Any one using OME medium springs and shocks?

Well red white combo sounds like they want you to pack the weight on the rear axle.

Red front springs are very soft and they keep your static height low even more so with a weighted down load

It sounds as you load up both axles so you might benefit if you install white springs at front also and your control will go way up and the drive will be improved a lot

Now with out too much weight on the G I have found that white springs up front works also great and even more so with softer rear springs as brown or softer

Great choice on shocks those konis they seem they can take 100k of racing and keep going

Mario
#238937 - in reply to #238926
Author
Posted 4/11/2018 8:47 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Any one using OME medium springs and shocks?

Mario,

He's asking about OME (Old Man Emu) springs and shocks. They've been recommended by his repair technician.
#238938 - in reply to #238937
Author
Posted 4/13/2018 9:41 AM
Aircruiser
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, 1986 300GD, 2017 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
Re: Any one using OME medium springs and shocks?

It seems that THOR has some good information on his site. http://vikingoffroad.com/g-class-suspension/

Mario, most of my knowledge pertaining to G springs has been derived from your past posts or contribution. I agree that the (OEM)Mercedes or Sachs rear progressive springs are great for an all rounder, the color codeing is a bit overwhelming until you study the charts. The drawback to the progressive rear coils is breakage.

With a consistent high weight carried in my G, the progressive parts, top and bottom, will be mostly compressed with only static weight, leading to early breakage. Some say it’s the washboard roads(I spend much time on these)that cause the breakage, either way it seems that a more traditional spring in the rear rated for my load would be more reliable, long term.

The OME(Old Man Emu) Medium springs sound like a good match for my situation. The OME Nitrocharger sport shocks that are matched to this spring package seem like they are a well built non adjustable shock. The Koni Raids are probably better built, adjustable, and proven to be excellent in most situations.

I’m not looking for a lift, but don’t want to be rubbing my 33”od tires on the wheel liners and don’t want to be hitting my bumpstops as frequently as I do.

Looking for feedback from users that have experience with the G OME Package.

Matt
#238958 - in reply to #238926
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1