Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Economic 'FUN' of driving a G in the Netherlands

Page 3 of 3 123
Economic 'FUN' of driving a G in the Netherlands
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/18/2006 6:06 PM
advance

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Economic 'FUN' of driving a G in the Netherlands

Get ready to be shooked...

95 oktane (1 gallon = about 6 $) 1L = 1,63 E
98 oktane about 1/4 $ more and about 1/6 E more.

98 super (dream on, almost none existent)

Diesel (1 gallon = about 5.5 $) 1L = 1,32 E

The road tax per year per car (unless 30 years old): 350 E or 427 $!

The UN says we are the best country in the world to live in, on top of that we are one of the biggest oil nations in the world! Understand if you can, I dont
#31798 - in reply to #31534
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/19/2006 7:13 AM
VCR

advance - 7/18/2006 11:06 AM

The UN says we are the best country in the world to live in, on top of that we are one of the biggest oil nations in the world! Understand if you can, I dont ;)

Anders I believe you can’t see this in such a simplistic way, ok you have more expensive road tax and fuel and probably you pay a lot more taxes but In Portugal we are dreaming to have your wages, social security child support, schools…

Perhaps we cam compare this facts whit the reality in the different national states.

- Minimum wage in Portugal 385,90€ (478,50$US)
- Average wage around 1000€ (1240$US)
- VAT at 21%
- Maternity leave 4 paid months (if you get “lucky” like my wife you might just lose your job when you go back to work)
- Child support around 40€ a month for a dependent child.
- No public schools for kids up to 5
- Scholl is free up to university but you must pay all books and material
- Good expensive medical assistance or good almost free universal medical assistance but you must wait a month for a general doctor appointment, 2 years for an operation and even more for an appointment for dentist, ophthalmologist, dermatologist…
- Free sunshine most of the year (at least in Algarve)

When you compare this you cam probably see the reason for the UM to classify you as the best county to live in (besides the beautiful landscapes)
#31855 - in reply to #31798
Author
Posted 7/19/2006 11:23 AM
Ducks

Since this thread seems to be wandering around a bit, I thought I might throw in my 2¢.  It is very interesting how economies attempt to optimize given their geography and historical precedents.  But the system needs to be considered as a whole and with off-road vehicles specifically.

A few advantages of the European system:
  • Cost of college:  easily over $100,000 in the US.
  • Healthcare insurance, prescription drug insurance, dental insurance:  my quadrupled last year and I still have to pay 50% on some bills.
  • Vacation:  usually only 2-3 weeks in the US
  • Time off after childbirth:  six weeks unpaid
  • Child care cost:  ~$9,000 per kid per year
  • Etc. 
Of course, off-road vehicles seem inordinately taxed.  How many people need an off-road vehicle there?  I assume many but I don’t know.

In the US, with its huge rural areas, many people need and use 4wd trucks for what they were intended for (please ignore the stupid SUV craze).  Of course, I don’t personally need to own a 4wd truck for work.  My company provides me with all the vehicles I need when I go into the field.  However, for everything else, I need a Geländewagen. 

Overall, I think the cost of living and enjoying life comes out about the same.
:cheers:
Chad

Edited by Ducks 7/19/2006 11:31 AM
#31875 - in reply to #31798
Author
Posted 7/19/2006 12:32 PM
VCR

Ducks - 7/19/2006 4:23 AM

Since this thread seems to be wandering around a bit, I thought I might throw in my 2¢.  It is very interesting how economies attempt to optimize given their geography and historical precedents.  But the system needs to be considered as a whole and with off-road vehicles specifically.

A few advantages of the European system:
  • Cost of college:  easily over $100,000 in the US.
  • Healthcare insurance, prescription drug insurance, dental insurance:  my quadrupled last year and I still have to pay 50% on some bills.
  • Vacation:  usually only 2-3 weeks in the US
  • Time off after childbirth:  six weeks unpaid
  • Child care cost:  ~$9,000 per kid per year
  • Etc. 
Of course, off-road vehicles seem inordinately taxed.  How many people need an off-road vehicle there?  I assume many but I don’t know.

In the US, with its huge rural areas, many people need and use 4wd trucks for what they were intended for (please ignore the stupid SUV craze).  Of course, I don’t personally need to own a 4wd truck for work.  My company provides me with all the vehicles I need when I go into the field.  However, for everything else, I need a Geländewagen. 

Overall, I think the cost of living and enjoying life comes out about the same.
:cheers:
Chad

Chad it would be interesting to know the minimum wage, average wage and average insurance cost in your state.
I do have 4 weeks (same times 5 weeks) of vacation and the university costs 1/2 of that price.
You must discount a minimum of 11% of your wage for public medical care and social security and any private medical care is paid on top.
My comment was more directed to the Anders in Norway because I know they are doing much better in Northern Europe then we are in the south.

Edited by VCR 7/19/2006 12:35 PM
#31880 - in reply to #31875
Author
Posted 7/19/2006 2:50 PM
advance

VCR - 7/18/2006 1:13 PM

advance - 7/18/2006 11:06 AM

The UN says we are the best country in the world to live in, on top of that we are one of the biggest oil nations in the world! Understand if you can, I dont ;)

Anders I believe you can’t see this in such a simplistic way, ok you have more expensive road tax and fuel and probably you pay a lot more taxes but In Portugal we are dreaming to have your wages, social security child support, schools…

Perhaps we cam compare this facts whit the reality in the different national states.

- Minimum wage in Portugal 385,90€ (478,50$US)
- Average wage around 1000€ (1240$US)
- VAT at 21%
- Maternity leave 4 paid months (if you get “lucky” like my wife you might just lose your job when you go back to work)
- Child support around 40€ a month for a dependent child.
- No public schools for kids up to 5
- Scholl is free up to university but you must pay all books and material
- Good expensive medical assistance or good almost free universal medical assistance but you must wait a month for a general doctor appointment, 2 years for an operation and even more for an appointment for dentist, ophthalmologist, dermatologist…
- Free sunshine most of the year (at least in Algarve)

When you compare this you cam probably see the reason for the UM to classify you as the best county to live in (besides the beautiful landscapes)

Of corse, things are more complicated put together then I can explain in one post. Bad joke :/
#31894 - in reply to #31855
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 3 of 3 123