Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Home at last.

Page 1 of 1 1
Home at last.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 11:38 AM
roughneck
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2
Home at last.

At 12-30 GMT the BRIXMIS G (Charlene2) returned to Defence Inteligence HQ (DISC) she slipped quietly through the gate unnoticed and took up a position outside the museum.
The official re-naming will take place on Saturday 22nd.

(DISC 003.jpg)

(DISC 004.jpg)

(DISC 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DISC 003.jpg (517KB - 11 downloads)
Attachments DISC 004.jpg (666KB - 11 downloads)
Attachments DISC 005.jpg (544KB - 10 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 12:22 PM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD SWB - 300GD LWB
RE: Home at last.

I don't know the exact (hi)story behind this G but it is restored nicely by the looks of it.

As everybody knows ... looks can deceive ... does it run? I think it should anyway because a G in that state should be given the honor to get out on the road every now and then (even though it is going to be a museum piece ... or is it not?).

One question though, what's up with that rear view mirror on the back seat door? What's the purpose of it?

Good job!

Regards,

Rick
#32081 - in reply to #32075
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 3:11 PM
nadd
Expert

Vehicle(s): G500 2016 LHD, numerous Chevys
Re: Home at last.

It sure does run! I'd tell you the purpose of that mirror but I'm afraid of breaking the official secrets act :p With the permission of the owner everything is possible of course...
#32105 - in reply to #32075
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 3:18 PM
roughneck
Expert

Re: Home at last.

Thanks Nadd well said,
NS Roughneck you should take a look at www.brixmis.co.uk for the history of this unique G Wagon the only one left in the UK army.

This is how it looked a couple of months ago.

Edited by roughneck 7/20/2006 3:24 PM

(Spanner Fest 1&2 009.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Spanner Fest 1&2 009.jpg (54KB - 10 downloads)
#32107 - in reply to #32105
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 3:26 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500

Which vehicle did you use to tow this beauty ?
Mike
#32108 - in reply to #32075
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 4:20 PM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

There seems to be some history there.

Do I understand it correctly that these BRIXMIS G's were used as some sort of border patrol in and around Berlin in the years after the 2nd WW until the 'Wall' came down?

I noticed on the attached picture that there were 15 of them. What happened to the other 14? Please don't tell me they all went to the scrapper ... which would be a waste.

Anyway, it's good to see that this one was restored and is now on display.

My guess was that the one underneath the yellow arrow is the one you have restored? I thought it would be logical since it's the No. 2 vehicle according to the plate.

My other guess is that these 'weird' mirrors were there to make sure that the 'tour officer' had a good over all view??? Didn't realize that there was big secrecy involved when it comes to an extra set of mirrors

Regards,

(p_brx_fleet_drivers_and_mt_ezg_3[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments p_brx_fleet_drivers_and_mt_ezg_3[1].jpg (50KB - 12 downloads)
#32112 - in reply to #32075
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 6:03 PM
roughneck
Expert

DesertStar - 7/20/2006 8:26 PM

Mike

This one Mike.

(Altglas 013.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Altglas 013.jpg (310KB - 10 downloads)
#32123 - in reply to #32108
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 6:23 PM
roughneck
Expert

NorthseaRoughneck - 7/20/2006 9:20 PM

There seems to be some history there.

Do I understand it correctly that these BRIXMIS G's were used as some sort of border patrol in and around Berlin in the years after the 2nd WW until the 'Wall' came down?
Regards,

Good research NSR. to my knowledge one other exists in Berlin but it has been civilianised. all the others were as you say disposed of, the vehicle I restored was in fact second from left front row.
The operation was a "mission" not just on the border but deep into Soviet occupied East Germany, It was in effect permitted inteligence gathering alltho the Sovs were not at all happy about the agreement they had made, a tour team was on the ground 365 days a year from start to finish and they could be on a tour for up to and more than 5 days. There were also special ops carried out as the need arose, for example when an American spy. oops sorry. training plane crashed in the DDR near Erfurt. The G Wagen was one of the last vehicles used for these missions. others prior to that were a whole variety and a favourite of many guys was the Opel Senator FF 4x4.
Occasionly the Sovs or DDR forces would get realy ticked off and get a bit tetchy with results like the Opel attached, many vehicles were severly damaged in this way and I add another pic of the G damage sustained by such an attack and the reason of its restoration.

(BRIXMIS 001.jpg)

(BRIXMIS.jpg)

(Restore 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BRIXMIS 001.jpg (516KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments BRIXMIS.jpg (189KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments Restore 005.jpg (290KB - 9 downloads)
#32124 - in reply to #32112
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 3:21 AM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

Wow, I never knew that such missions were carried out. Interesting piece of history if you ask me.

Do you own this No. 2 BRIXMIX G or is it owned by the museum and did they ask you to restore it?

13 of them went to the scrapper (or similar) you say!? What a damn waste! How does this G differ from the 'normal' G's of those days, and how hard was it then to get parts for it and restore it?

I have to admit that I am still very curious about these mirrors on the backseat doors and now, since I know these G's were used in real missions (secret or not), curiosity shot through the roof

Can you share it with us or is that really classified?

Another question which might have a classified/secret answer is; how did these BRIXMIS G's look on the inside? I've read that the backseat was taken out and replaced with a solo seat in the middle of the vehicle. And the dash, how does that look? If the answer to these questions are not too secret, you think it's possible to share some pictures with us or am I pushing it now?

I have one last question for you. Did/do you own a white SWB G which is raised and carries a recovery rope on the hood? Did we then meet here in the Netherlands a couple of years ago during a Grand Master day?

Regards,

NorthseaRoughneck
#32214 - in reply to #32124
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 4:46 AM
roughneck
Expert

NorthseaRoughneck - 7/21/2006 8:21 AM

Wow, I never knew that such missions were carried out. Interesting piece of history if you ask me.

Do you own this No. 2 BRIXMIX G or is it owned by the museum and did they ask you to restore it?

13 of them went to the scrapper (or similar) you say!? What a damn waste! How does this G differ from the 'normal' G's of those days, and how hard was it then to get parts for it and restore it?

I have to admit that I am still very curious about these mirrors on the backseat doors and now, since I know these G's were used in real missions (secret or not), curiosity shot through the roof

Can you share it with us or is that really classified?

Another question which might have a classified/secret answer is; how did these BRIXMIS G's look on the inside? I've read that the backseat was taken out and replaced with a solo seat in the middle of the vehicle. And the dash, how does that look? If the answer to these questions are not too secret, you think it's possible to share some pictures with us or am I pushing it now?

I have one last question for you. Did/do you own a white SWB G which is raised and carries a recovery rope on the hood? Did we then meet here in the Netherlands a couple of years ago during a Grand Master day?

Regards,

NorthseaRoughneck

All of your questions can be answered. I will post further pictures after the weekend, there is a reason for that, on Saturday a large gathering of former and current serving soldiers is taking place at the Int Corps HQ, It will be a surprise to many to see the G fully restored.
Originaly the Army asked me if I could restore it to use as a gate guard, with the help of a great guy and former Welsh Dragoon, "twodogs" it was restored to fully operational condition, and with inside and personal knowledge the interior has been fitted out 99% to original spec.
It was handed over to the Int Corps museum at Duxford, who decided it is such a good example that it must be kept running and taken to shows and displays. So it has been gifted to me to maintain and run as a moving museum.
Non of the tech spec is any longer secret, I will try to put together a Data sheet to post. The vehicle is a 280 GE based loosely on the BGS or THW version, because of the possibility of persuite and possible detention they were fitted with high ratio axles to increase acceleration, beleave me a Russion missile launcher can get up to speed quite quickly if needed. and all military and civilian persons were under instruction to stop these missions if seen in certain areas or found to be filming manouvers etc etc.
Other equipment was fitted by the REME and listed as BRIXMIS Mods, Roll cage. transmission temperature read outs, single "dentist "chair with full 3 point race harness, webasto heater for winter, black out blinds and blacking on all surfaces inside, no reflection for photography, other detail I must check befor I publish.
Many of the missions are still on the secret list and many personel don't like to be identified or even be associated with the mission.
You have a refresing interest, if you so desire I can arrange for a personal visit to the Inteligence Corps museum where you will have all you questions answered. well most
Take a quick and cheap flight from Schlipol to Coventry with Thomson Air, around € 30 return normaly. must be a week day, and I will give you a private tour.
By the way the Soviets had a similar mission operating in West Germany called SOXMIS they were monitored in part by a special Dutch Unit, I would like to find more info on them, So this is your mission, they used radio listening a lot to track and monitor and would have been based near Bunde,

Is this the white G you ask about.

Edited by roughneck 7/21/2006 4:51 AM

(clifflazingabout.JPG)

(Spanner Fest 1&2 007.jpg)

(album_pic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments clifflazingabout.JPG (36KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments Spanner Fest 1&2 007.jpg (53KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments album_pic.jpg (117KB - 10 downloads)
#32220 - in reply to #32214
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 5:12 AM
roughneck
Expert

Sorry NSR, I didnt answer your question about the 3rd mirror, during a persuit the tour officer would keep a look out on the persuing vehicle and the driver got on with the driving.

And 365 days was 365 days. as this pic shows.

Picture is courtesy of Dave Picton Former MT Sergeant BRIXMIS and responsible for many of the BRIXMIS Mods and driver training.

(BRIXMIS 002.jpg)

(FO_SU_Germany.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BRIXMIS 002.jpg (449KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments FO_SU_Germany.jpg (25KB - 9 downloads)
#32222 - in reply to #32220
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 5:27 AM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

Getting your questions answered is always a nice thing! So, thanks for that.

Although I do not have anything in common with the Dutch army or any other army for that matter, I kinda feel like an 'agent' now that you have given me a real (secret) mission. From now, on my mission code name will be 00G

One of my best mates is with the Dutch air forces and I will see if I can get some info about that special Dutch unit which was based near Bunde. Give me some time on that one ... and I can't guarantee anything.

Now about your 'invitation' for that personal tour. I wouldn't mind taking you up on that one ... I will see what flights are available and when they are available. We'll come back on that one then as well to match schedules etc., if you don't mind.

Yes, that's the G I was talking about. I followed it's tracks a couple of times that day in the Netherlands. Apparently, it had just returned from a 'mission' in Spain or Morocco ... if I am remembering well. It was completely covered in red dust. Was that you?

regards,
#32225 - in reply to #32220
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 5:33 AM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

roughneck - 7/21/2006 11:12 AM

Sorry NSR, I didnt answer your question about the 3rd mirror, during a persuit the tour officer would keep a look out on the persuing vehicle and the driver got on with the driving.

And 365 days was 365 days. as this pic shows.

Picture is courtesy of Dave Picton Former MT Sergeant BRIXMIS and responsible for many of the BRIXMIS Mods and driver training.

Ah yes ... the third mirror ... finally I've got the answer

Sometimes these missions really seem to have been top secret, by the looks of all the effort put into the camouflage

Cool plates!

Regards,

00G
#32226 - in reply to #32222
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 6:13 AM
roughneck
Expert

NorthseaRoughneck - 7/21/2006 10:27 AM

Getting your questions answered is always a nice thing! So, thanks for that.

.Now about your 'invitation' for that personal tour.
Yes, that's the G I was talking about. I followed it's tracks a couple of times that day in the Netherlands. Apparently, it had just returned from a 'mission' in Spain or Morocco ... if I am remembering well. It was completely covered in red dust. Was that you?

regards,

You are very welcome 00G. Yep you are right I had just been to Morrocco Algeria and Spain.
From the NL I whent down to Stuttgart for the German club Treff.

When you come over we will run around in another G I have, its the Bosnia Kosovo G. but thats another story.

(BRUN 001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BRUN 001.jpg (58KB - 9 downloads)
#32231 - in reply to #32225
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 6:17 AM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

roughneck - 7/21/2006 12:13 PM

When you come over we will run around in another G I have, its the Bosnia Kosovo G. but thats another story.

I'm already exited!

About the ride ... but also ... the story.

I'll contact you later then,
#32233 - in reply to #32231
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 10:53 AM
roughneck
Expert

DesertStar - 7/20/2006 8:26 PM

Mike

I think this is more that you would like to see Mike.

(DISC 002.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DISC 002.jpg (568KB - 10 downloads)
#32257 - in reply to #32108
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1