Dual Batteries
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/22/2006 8:51 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Dual Batteries

Here's a picture of my dual battery set up with two PC1200's in the original tray. 

House battery is on the left with it's pos terminal attached to the house loads (10 ga red wire), winch, and to the combiner relay. 

Starting battery is on the right and it's positive cable goes to the "Priority Start" module.  This is an electromechancial device (sounds like it actually has a little motor in it) that monitors battry voltage and disconnects the load from the positive battery terminal if the voltage goes below that required to start the car.  From the priority start, the cables go to the starter and to the combiner relay. 

That's the combiner relay on the left between the house battery and the air cleaner.  It's good for 300A continuous and something like 1000 amps for short periods.  The red lever on the right side of the relay lets you manually combine or manually disconnect the two batteries as well as leave it in "auto" mode where the batteries combine when the relay sees 13.8 volts and disconnect below that (with some builtin time delay so they don't disconnect every time the alternator ourput drops when you're idling).  The relay also has a line to allow the switching to be done remotely, but I don't have that feature hooked up yet. 

The bateries are clamped down by home-made brackets that engage the G's original battery hold down features and clamp the Odysey's by their lifting handles.  Works pretty well.  They're steel lined with rubber and painted black.

Grounding cables combine both batteries and then connect to the lighting relays on the left and the engine head on the right.  From teh head another cable runs down to the body ground beneath the battery tray, then on down to the chassis and starter in factory fashion.  Going through the grounding really cleared up som annoying problems I'd had where my fuel and temp gauges would jump to the beat of the music when I had the stereo turned up.  I think that was due to bad connection at that body ground point beneath the battery tray.  All better now.

-Dave G.

(batteries23.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments batteries23.jpg (69KB - 11 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/22/2006 11:10 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Dual Batteries

Very nice setup, Dave. The Odysseys look like they were made for that space. Did you get the isolation components as a kit or is this your own design? Where did you source the parts/Batteries?. Looks like the ultimate G battery pack.

-Dai
#32506 - in reply to #32482
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 12:43 AM
G1979
Veteran

Vehicle(s): G500 2005
RE: Dual Batteries

This is beyond me, but it looks great
beside a winch for what else it is good to have dual batteries? and excuse my ignorance

good job

JV
#32511 - in reply to #32482
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 3:42 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

G1979,

Having a dual battery is essential when you have the need of auxiliary power and not only for the winch, for instance:

I have an hydraulic winch (electrical connection for solenoid only), a fridge/freezer, an inverter for charging all the batteries for camera, video, "Cimbali" espresso machine (650W220V) ....Yes Dave I went for the electric....the BIALETTI is for standby........, electric tooth water pick, hair dryer for "sweetie" (75w220v) a 5000w12v search light (handy in game parks at night to look for animals) 2 of 12v camping lights (gas too noisy) and 4 LED interior lights. etc etc etc. You need a lot of power to get "comfy" so one battery (Deep cycle) can get completely empty and the other battery is there in the morning to turn your engine and away you go for an other journey in "Paradise"

amzimmy
#32527 - in reply to #32511
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 3:56 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

hipine - 7/22/2006 2:51 AM

Here's a picture of my dual battery set up with two PC1200's in the original tray. 

House battery is on the left with it's pos terminal attached to the house loads (10 ga red wire), winch, and to the combiner relay.  p>

-Dave G.

Very clean and tidy, for an instance I thought "where on Earth did you find the space to fit the batteries?" but then I realized that we in SA drive "the wrong way" so what is right for you is left for us.

One question , can you override the ABMS (automatic battery management system) and control manually? Have you some dials that tells you the charge to each battery?
I ask this cause a friend of mine got stuck in the middle of the bush with two cooked batteries due to a malfunction of the ABMS, (we had to tow him for about 300 miles to an auto electrician).
Since then he has fitted some digital dials to monitor each battery and an override switch where by he can select manually the charging of each battery

amzimmy
#32528 - in reply to #32482
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 10:05 AM
Kermit

Date registered: Dec 1899

I was thinking of dual batteries but in the end I went for a single 6TN military battery, which is as big as two standard batteries and fits the G's large battery bay perfectly. I don't run a winch, fridge or electric toothbrush but if I did I'd probably install a second battery under one of the seats. BTW, I installed the 6TN in 2000 and have had no trouble with it.
Here are the specs: http://home.hetnet.nl/~marcellebarion/12vmilit.htm
#32554 - in reply to #32528
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 10:15 AM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

A voltmeter for each battery would be a great way to keep track of charge status.

-Dai
#32555 - in reply to #32511
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 10:24 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Kemit, you're a lucky fellow to be able to find these "military" batteries, searching hi and low , here in SA the only "Big" battery that I could find is the deep-cycling ACDELCO Voyager M27MF and toothbrush or no toothbrush (just for Hygiene.... you know) I installed two of these beasts and all is perfect!

amzimmy
#32557 - in reply to #32554
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 10:27 AM
thairish

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 461: 230ge/swb & g300cdi/lwb

Kermit - 7/23/2006 10:05 PM

I was thinking of dual batteries but in the end I went for a single 6TN military battery, which is as big as two standard batteries and fits the G's large battery bay perfectly. I don't run a winch, fridge or electric toothbrush but if I did I'd probably install a second battery under one of the seats. BTW, I installed the 6TN in 2000 and have had no trouble with it.
Here are the specs: http://home.hetnet.nl/~marcellebarion/12vmilit.htm

thanks for the info kermit - will keep the link on file for when i need a new batt

cheers,
dd
#32558 - in reply to #32554
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 11:23 AM
G1979
Veteran

Vehicle(s): G500 2005

amzimmy - 7/23/2006 3:42 AM

G1979,

Having a dual battery is essential when you have the need of auxiliary power and not only for the winch, for instance:

I have an hydraulic winch (electrical connection for solenoid only), a fridge/freezer, an inverter for charging all the batteries for camera, video, "Cimbali" espresso machine (650W220V) ....Yes Dave I went for the electric....the BIALETTI is for standby........, electric tooth water pick, hair dryer for "sweetie" (75w220v) a 5000w12v search light (handy in game parks at night to look for animals) 2 of 12v camping lights (gas too noisy) and 4 LED interior lights. etc etc etc. You need a lot of power to get "comfy" so one battery (Deep cycle) can get completely empty and the other battery is there in the morning to turn your engine and away you go for an other journey in "Paradise"

amzimmy

Amzimmy

Thank you for the explanation, as my outdoors and offroad adventures keep getting more often, this will be something that I will keep in mind for a future upgrade, thank you
JV
#32569 - in reply to #32527
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 6:49 PM
hipine

I bought the stuff separately. Batteries from my local Batteries Plus store, Priority Start from BatteryStuff.com and the BEP 300A VSR from Boater's World. The setup is pretty clean. The cables could be higher quality. Updates never end, you know.

The only slight downside is the battery rating. I think these little buggers are only something like 44 Ah each. With the Priority Start module in there watching out for your ability to start, a really good argument could be made for a single monster battery. Run it down all you want and let the Priority Start watch out for your ability to start the engine. It would be a good bit simpler than my current set-up.

AMZ's point about potential to fry batteries is a good one. Right now I'm a little more suceptible than I'd like to be. The trouble with the current setup is that the alternator is connected to the starter so it senses voltage there.  Bad connections and such cause the batteries to be actually GETTING a different voltage than the alternator is sensing.  I only know enough about this subject to be a little uncomfortable.  I have to do more research to figure out what's teh best way to connect the charge lines and sensing for the alternator to be the most robust.

And yes, volt meters are going in with the gauge package that goes with the 617A.  The top of my dash will look like a cockpit.  Volt meters, water temp, oil pressure, oil temp, boost, and exhaust temp.

-Dave G.

PS - thanks Dai for suggesting it might be a kit.  When I was fabbing stuff for my racing buddies they used to tell me the best compliment you could get was when someone asked where you bought the component.;)

Edited by hipine 7/23/2006 6:53 PM
#32610 - in reply to #32506
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 10:41 PM
Kermit

Date registered: Dec 1899

thanks for the info kermit - will keep the link on file for when i need a new batt

cheers,
dd

I'm sure you coould find one locally (Unless you want to pay the freight on a 71-pound battery from the States!). Just try a few battery shops in your area - I had to make a few calls before I found mine. At the time I did a bit of research on the recommended battery for the G, and the 6TN came up.

(battery.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments battery.jpg (93KB - 9 downloads)
#32649 - in reply to #32558
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 11:36 PM
thairish

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 461: 230ge/swb & g300cdi/lwb

Kermit - 7/24/2006 10:41 AM

cheers,
dd

I'm sure you coould find one locally (Unless you want to pay the freight on a 71-pound battery from the States!). Just try a few battery shops in your area - I had to make a few calls before I found mine. At the time I did a bit of research on the recommended battery for the G, and the 6TN came up.

6tn - gotcha, thanks. yup, definitely want to avoid the freight if possible. probably difficult to find in hkg, but possible in bangkok because the big truck market. will have to get my local peeps with the native language skills to try and track it down.

will look for your green machine when i get to down to melbourne - should be easy to spot. hey, do you know chopper? love those videos - gotta go pay him a visit in taz.
#32656 - in reply to #32649
Author
Posted 7/24/2006 3:42 AM
Bier
Regular

Vehicle(s): 1999 290GDT W461

BEP Marine also manufactures a DC monitoring system. It measures the Voltage on 3 battery banks, the Capacity (A/h) of the House battery, as well as the Charge/Discharge current of the House battery.

http://www.bep.co.nz/showproduct.cfm?productid=109

This unit is quite expensive (in South Africa = $220 US), but at least you know the exact status of the charging process, as well as the capacity of the House battery.

Danie

#32685 - in reply to #32482
Author
Posted 7/24/2006 9:24 AM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD SWB - 300GD LWB

Danie,

Hope you don't need the 'Bilge Monitor' function

If you need Bilge pumps while driving your G then you're really taking it up to the edge.

Good piece of info though ... For a while now I have been looking for something similar. This piece of kit might just do the trick!

Thanks,

Rick
#32726 - in reply to #32685
Author
Posted 7/24/2006 10:45 AM
hipine

Options

Just for reference, one thing to note in all this has come up in recent pix. 

The battery tray on RHD diesels is SIGNIFICANTLY differently shaped than on LHD petrol trucks.  I'm not sure if the tray shape goes with the steering config, or the motor, but I'm pretty sure it's the former (steering).  The only ones I've had in my posession turned out to be LHD petrol and RHD diesel but for instance the particular battery pictured in Kermit's post won't fit in the tray of a LHD (petrol at least) truck.

That looks like one wicked-powerful battery though!

-Dave G.

#32736 - in reply to #32649
Author
Posted 7/24/2006 12:27 PM
TWODOGS
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): Norwegian Army 240GD

very tidy set up .....
#32759 - in reply to #32482
Author
Posted 7/27/2006 1:14 AM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed
Re: Dual Batteries - Dave

So, Dave, how is the diesel conversion working out. Another brother or two here, have converted to turbo diesels in their 460's in recent weeks. They seem very pleased. Are you fully functional now? And, have you come to use biodiesel at this point?

Best wishes,

Tom
#33196 - in reply to #32759
Author
Posted 7/27/2006 2:18 PM
hipine

Dave's diesel

Still workin' on it!

I've got the manual trans flywheel out being match-balanced to the flywheel that came off the motor.  I also need to order a couple more parts from Sean (clutch).  But once I get those two things squared away I should be ready to go.  I basically stuck, "Part-out spare G-wagen" into the middle of the project as a way to obtain the flywheel. :(   So that's what I've been working at since last November.....Yeah, I'm slow....

Should be ready to make the conversion in a few weeks though.  I really want to get it done before I have to go back to driving it full time.  The 40 mpg motorcycle is really spoiling my wallet.  Going back to a 17mpg G would be better than a 12 mpg one. 

-Dave G.

#33314 - in reply to #33196
Author
Posted 7/30/2006 5:18 PM
Greg S.
Regular

Vehicle(s): 1985 300GD, 1973 Unimog 416 DOKA
RE: Options

hipine - 7/24/2006 12:45 PM

The only ones I've had in my posession turned out to be LHD petrol and RHD diesel but for instance the particular battery pictured in Kermit's post won't fit in the tray of a LHD (petrol at least) truck.

That looks like one wicked-powerful battery though!

-Dave G.

Dave et al.

FWIW, the tray in your G looks to be the same as in my LHD 300GD.
#33883 - in reply to #32736
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1