Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : FS - Garmin GPS StreetPilot III

Page 1 of 1 1
FS - Garmin GPS StreetPilot III
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/29/2006 5:19 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
FS - Garmin GPS StreetPilot III

I've upgraded and am selling my Garmin GPS StreetPilot III. It is a discontinued model, but you can read more about it here:

http://www.garmin.com/products/spIII/

and here:

http://www.garmin.com/products/spIII/spec.html

Map and software updates continue to be available on the Garmin website.

It includes:

StreetPilot III Deluxe
Base Map - Americas Autoroute. This is the US - Canada Version
USB Data Card Programmer
128 MB Data Card
MapSource City Navigator North America CD's Versions 4.1, 5 & 7. Unlock Codes for all three versions are included.
MapSource TOPO USA (3 CD's most current version). $150 Retail for this set. Unlock Code is not required.
Portable Antenna
Cigarette lighter adapter
External Speaker
AC Adapter/PC Interface cable
Dashboard Mount
Bean Bag Mount
Owner's Manual
Quick Reference Card

There is an intermittent connection in the 6 AA battery compartment which renders them pretty much unusable. However, I never used them; nor are they needed with the cigarette lighter adapter for the vehicle and the AC adapter for indoor use. Other than this battery compartment problem, the unit works flawlessly; and the City Navigator CD's even contain enough off road data that I was able to use them to find a back door approach to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon through a labyrinth of unmarked Forest Service roads/trails.

The unit without the TOPO set retailed for US$1,000. I'll sell the entire package for $275, including PayPal fees and shipment to the lower US 48 states. Click on the Email button below, if interested.

(garsp3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments garsp3.jpg (36KB - 10 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/30/2006 12:38 AM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320
Re: FS - Garmin GPS StreetPilot III

What are you replacing it with?
#33807 - in reply to #33753
Author
Posted 7/30/2006 5:36 AM
DUTCH

Braingears - 7/30/2006 12:38 AM

Garmin StreetPilot 2720. It won't load the Topo's, which is why they're included with the SPIII.
#33834 - in reply to #33807
Author
Posted 7/31/2006 11:53 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Battery trouble - no issue - highly recommended

Mine has the same issue. Since I'd never think of hand-holding the thing anyway it wasn't a big deal (it's always plugged into the car on the dash).

The place it did effect me though is in hooking to the computer.  The separate memory card reader (USB) can be used to load maps to the memory card.  But if you want to load routes, waypoints, or other information (anything besides maps) all of that goes to the unit's internal memory and the unit has to be turned on in order to talk to it.  I was bummed for a while, but found a way around it.  It looks like Dutch has a cable that will power the unit from 110V AC outlet while you're plugged into the computer so you're all set there.

I've had one of these since they first came out....well maybe not very first, as I paid about $600, not $1000, but I've had it for 3+ years now I think.  It's all hard wired into the G, talks through dash speakers, etc.  I love it.  One of the things I like best is the ability to use those topo maps in there.  They don't auto-route, or even allow you to plot routes automatically on the PC, but when the citynavigator doesn't show the road you want, the topo often does and you can follow it that way.

You're getting a heck of a lot of value here for $275.  I've thought about updating to a unit with a larger screen, but this one is working fine for me, and I even see now where Ram makes a magnifying screen that mounts in front of the GPS if you want.....been meaning to try one of those.....But I haven't upgraded because this unit does everything so well in the combination of features I really use, and nothing on the market even today is better for my needs.  One way that a newer unit might be better would be if it came with mapping SW that was more up to date with regard to gas stations and such that it knows about.  The "find fuel" feature is one I've used a few times, but have to admit that it didn't know about some stations that were around.  Though of course, nothing will be berfect since new stations, hotels, etc are going up every day.

In short, a highly recommended unit and a great value for the asking price.  And the way Dutch takes care of his stuff, you won't know it from new out of the box.

-Dave G.

#33986 - in reply to #33753
Author
Posted 7/31/2006 2:19 PM
DUTCH

GPS Software

hipine - 7/31/2006 11:53 AM

In short, a highly recommended unit and a great value for the asking price. And the way Dutch takes care of his stuff, you won't know it from new out of the box.

-Dave G.

Dave, Thanks for the good words. In some ways, I think it's better than the upgrade I did - especially being able to load the Topos, which the new one can't do.

As far as the updated mapping software goes, v7 (included with my SPIII) is a little over a year old. V8, just released, can be purchased as an update; but it still doesn't have the correct streets showing for EuroTruck's neighborhood; but the services are updated. (Fwiw, DeLorme's just released newest doesn't have Sean's neighborhood right either.)
#34008 - in reply to #33986
Author
Posted 7/31/2006 2:52 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: GPS Software

DUTCH - 7/31/2006 12:19 PM

..... V8, just released, can be purchased as an update; but it still doesn't have the correct streets showing for EuroTruck's neighborhood.....

Thanks for the info, Dutch.  I don't think I've ever updated the map sw.  I've done the firmware updates they offered for the unit (the OPTION to recalc on off-route was a major blessing to me), but never updated my maps.  How's that for silly!

Thanks again!

-Dave G.

#34015 - in reply to #34008
Author
Posted 7/31/2006 10:08 PM
thairish

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 461: 230ge/swb & g300cdi/lwb

DUTCH - 7/30/2006 5:36 PM

Braingears - 7/30/2006 12:38 AM

Garmin StreetPilot 2720. It won't load the Topo's, which is why they're included with the SPIII.

hey dutch.

so how's the reception? i didn't get to check it out myself last weekend.

cheers,
dd
#34185 - in reply to #33834
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1