Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Any Opinions On Towdollies

Page 1 of 1 1
Any Opinions On Towdollies
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/1/2006 1:06 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Any Opinions On Towdollies

There are talks at my company of relocating our department in a couple of years.  Chances of this are still very slim; yet it is being examined.  Of course two years is still aways. 

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you have an opinion on the use of towdollies.  I was thinking of buying one not only because it looks economical; but also it can be stored upright in my garage.  I could even use this to tow my G to G Treffen.  Hehehe!!!

(towing-towdolly.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments towing-towdolly.jpg (3KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/1/2006 1:52 PM
Steve D
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1984 280GE cabrio; 2011 Ford Expedition
Re: Any Opinions On Towdollies

They are dangerous and you cannot back up with one. At least not very effectively. You would be better off pulling the driveshafts and flat towing. JMHO!
#34530 - in reply to #34496
Author
Posted 8/1/2006 2:08 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899

my father in law has one and hates it. It came with his big motorhome to pull the car with. He hates it so much he looking at buying a jeep liberty to pull behind the "bus"

Also are not all G full time awd? So you could not use that anyway with out some major damage. I picked up a used car hauler for $2K. Look around for something like that. It sucks to find a place to put them but you would be supprised how much you use a trailer.

Edited by KERR 8/1/2006 2:09 PM
#34533 - in reply to #34496
Author
Posted 8/1/2006 2:45 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: Any Opinions On Towdollies

If you want to use one of those with a 463G you have to disconnect the rear driveshaft (preferably at the rear diff) or you'll destroy the center differential in the transfer case.  An older 460 G with a manual transmission  can be towed that way with the transmission in neutral and t-case in "S" (2wd), but even with the 460s rear driveshaft removal is highly recommended if you have an automatic transmisison (auto trans needs input shaft driven to lubricate properly, spinning only output shaft will damage bearings).

One thing to be sure of with a tow dolly, since it has no brakes, is that the towing vehicle is generally bigger and heavier than the one to be towed.  With a G that means pretty much towing it with a motor home.

A flatbed hauler is generally safer and easier to control.  For a one-time move, it's a toss-up.  There's the, "It's only once, I can be careful and get it done" approach, and then there's the, "It's only once, I can afford to spend a few extra bucks to do it right" approach.  If you're going to want to haul the G with any reguarity, the flatbed hauler and a proper tow vehicle are the only way to go, IMHO.

-Dave G.

#34547 - in reply to #34496
Author
Posted 8/1/2006 3:40 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

I just found out earlier with the price of a towdolly, I might as well buy a flat trailer. Then I would have to find a place for storage or buy a house with either a 4-car garage (a bay for the G, LR, wife's car, and trailer) or 3-car garage with porchere (an archway you drive through to reach parking coart and garages)--I am not rich for this!!!

But if I do not use the flat trailer that often, it will be cost effective to rent from some outfit like U-Haul.

Thanks Steve about the flat towing. I thought of that too. Any pointers with flat towing?
#34579 - in reply to #34496
Author
Posted 8/1/2006 4:42 PM
Steve D
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 1984 280GE cabrio; 2011 Ford Expedition

I flat towed my rover before I bought a trailer. A Reese brand tow bar is a liitle over a hundred dollars and you cannot back up very easily with it either.
I know finding a place for a trailer can be a pain, but it is usually worth it. On a side note, if you buy a trailer, NEVER loan it to anyone! Make sure it has trailer tires and not automobile tires on it also.
#34612 - in reply to #34579
Author
Posted 8/1/2006 4:48 PM
NorthseaRoughneck
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD SWB - 300GD LWB
RE: Any Opinions On Towdollies

gwagen460swb - 8/1/2006 7:06 PM

... I could even use this to tow my G to G Treffen.  Hehehe!!!

Why not drive your G to a G Treffen?

My opinion: Don't tow a G unless it's absolutely necessary ... they love to drive and 'work'

Regards,

Rick
#34615 - in reply to #34496
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1