Page 1 of 1 1
Leather care
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/30/2006 11:52 PM
roadsta

Date registered: Dec 1899
Leather care

I have black leather. I recently used some Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner / conditioner. It is beige / cream coloured.

After it dried I noticed that it left a bit of chalky residue in some of the fine grain of the leather, and especially in the stitching. I had to clean that out with a mixture of soapy water and methanol, thereby probably undoing any good the leather care might have done.

I am looking for a product that is transparent / clear (not cream/beige) or any other product that will not leave the whitish residue.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
roadsta
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 1:06 AM
da_nailgun

RE: Leather care

DONT USE ANY CLEANER STUFF ON UR LEATHER.

reason being (and i asked a leather restorer).

The SLK color on the leather is NOT fully sealed.

Thats the way it gets the kind of matt look.

If you use a cleaner or conditioner and rub is for a bit, you'll actually notice (like i did) some of the leater color coming OFF the seats.

ITS CRAP!.. MB couldve done it another way and fully sealed the color. The paint used is also waterbased.

Best thing to do, is to you some LUX soap, in a bucket.
Put in a fresh towel and wring it out till the towel is damp, then wipe over the seats, then dry them off.

Sad but true.. the color on our leather is SUB PAR.
#6230 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 4:42 AM
Beleriand

I use Zaino Leather In A Bottle. It cleans my beige seats really well. Makes them really slick - like teflon - and it smells great too. It didn't cause any damage to my seats or leave any residue at all. I highly recommend it.
#6450 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 6:16 AM
ianx, manchester

roadsta - 5/1/2006 4:52 AM

I have black leather. I recently used some Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner / conditioner. It is beige / cream coloured.

After it dried I noticed that it left a bit of chalky residue in some of the fine grain of the leather, and especially in the stitching. I had to clean that out with a mixture of soapy water and methanol, thereby probably undoing any good the leather care might have done.

I am looking for a product that is transparent / clear (not cream/beige) or any other product that will not leave the whitish residue.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
roadsta

Over the years i've had leathercare discussions on many many boards and again and again, most leather officianados will recommend three products...

1. Connolly hide food
2. Leatherique
3. Lexol

I personally use lexol cos it was the easiest and cheapest to get hold of. Its great. There's a leather cleaner and a leather conditioner. Google for these products.
#6463 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 9:56 AM
jbanks15

welcome, glad you made it over here. did you get your zaino leather in a bottle from zaino or do any local stores sell it out there?
#6505 - in reply to #6450
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 1:02 PM
etyu

Re: Leather care

I've used the MB leather care but you have to wipe immediately after, using 100% cotton terry cloth, or you'll notice a small whitish residue. I've read good things about the Zaino leather in a bottle and have ordered one yesterday. I think it (Zaino) gives you a nice leather smell that makes the car smell new.
#6594 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 1:06 PM
bloflin

roadsta - 4/30/2006 10:52 PM

Any thoughts?

Cheers
roadsta

In the future, after getting out what you can with a towel, while the product is still damp. Then wait for it to dry and use a SOFT toothbrush (or better, get a interior detailing brush). I would never use methanol on leather.
#6598 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 7:49 PM
samhmbz

RE: INTERIOR CARE

171 currently model specific from M.B

For cleaning the interior trim panels, do not use any dry, rough or hard cloths as the surface of the interior trim panels can be scratched or damaged due to chafing by these incompatible cloths. Our recommendation, for each of the remedies below, would be the use of the Mercedes-Benz microfiber cloth. Care in cleaning dirty or spotted plastic interior trim parts (instrument panel, center console, door paneling etc.), is as follows:

Light Contamination: Clean the plastic parts with a moist (use only clean water), fluff-free cloth (e.g. microfiber cloth)

Moderate Contamination: Clean the plastic parts with a moist (use only clean water), fluff-free cloth (e.g. microfiber cloth). A small amount of non-abrasive hand cleanser can also be applied to the cloth.

Severe Contamination: Clean the plastic parts with a moist (use only clean water), fluff-free cloth (e.g. microfiber cloth). Apply a solvent-free and non-corrosive cleaning agent to the cloth, we recommend the Mercedes-Benz cockpit-car care product for this.

Warning! After cleaning, the surface can briefly assume another shading. In this case wait for the surface to dry.

Parts Information
1 Microfiber cloth A000 986 06 62
1 Cockpit care A000 986 47 74

Sam
#6743 - in reply to #6598
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 5:30 AM
roadsta

Thanks all for the many helpful suggestions.

Take care,

roadsta
#7673 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 5:57 PM
Ian-Kent

What I have found worked best on my CLK(Alpaca) and SLK(RED) leather, is first dust them - in the joins etc, then wipe them clean with a mildy damp(water - nothing else) cotton cloth to remove the grease/grime, then use Mercedes own leather restorer/protector. I had the CLK for 2 years and the seats were as new when sold(17,000 miles) and the SLK is 9 months old (6000 miles) and again they are still as new. Also I use the same for the steering wheel. There cream is a tan colour but it does not leave a residue.
#10039 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 8:09 AM
Shinigami

I bought the original MB leather care product. It applies a foamy, shaver cream like product, which I rub on using a soft Meguiars sponge (great sponges btw... I use 'em for a lot of things like applying Zaino/Finish First. They don't scratch the car surface

The MB leathercare product needs to be rubbed in and it doesn't leave any residue, at least for me. I Didn't use it on the alcantara parts tho'...

Only done this once so far. Gonna do it again.
#10229 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 9:23 AM
SLK280DS

Using the MB leather care stuff, I just cleaned the Ash leather on my SLK 280 with 2900 miles on it. I keep the car very clean but was amazed with the amount of dirt that came off.
#10257 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/13/2006 10:27 AM
tda003

I've used Lexol for over 40 years. It has worked on saddles, shoes, purses (just back off!) - everything. I've also used it on all my M-
b leather, including the SLK. All have had black leather and the results were flawless. Just follow the directions. Don't use it on suede! Really tough stains come off well w/ glycerine liquid saddle soap and a sea sponge. You can get from any good saddler or from the Millers catalog. Better yet, try a stable! There are lots of folks who'll help you.
#11795 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/14/2006 5:35 AM
gary350

I test drove the new ML sport version and was very impressed with the artico man made leather and alcantara interior it looked better (particulary the alpaca colour) than my SLK leather and would I imagine look better in the long term.

gary
#12044 - in reply to #6205
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 8:52 AM
Dinoman

I agree that it's a good idea to dust the leather lightly, and then use a damp cloth. I use Lexol leather cleaner and then conditioner. If I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I might use Connolly Bros. Hide Food instead of the Lexol conditioner. It has the consistency of mayonnaise, though, and you have to be careful not to get it into seams or onto stitching. The Lexol conditioner leaves a nice "shoe store" leather aroma. The Hide Food leaves a very nice sheen on the leather. I've never used either the Zaino or the MB products, but I'm sure that they're both very good, as well. Dinoman
#12454 - in reply to #6205
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1