Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : ADVICE NEEDED: car doesnt start!

Page 1 of 1 1
ADVICE NEEDED: car doesnt start!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 5:59 AM
da_nailgun

Date registered: Dec 1899
ADVICE NEEDED: car doesnt start!

hey guys.. i am soooo soooo sad tonight.
Got into my lovely SLK at work tonight.. turned the key... NOTHING.

Tried again and again again. Taking key out. locking unlocking doors, putting in key.. car wasnt starting.
Put in in N, then back into park.. tried again.. NOTHING.

Everything else was working in the car, but it wasnt starting. No sound.. not even the car TRYING to start.

While i was on the phone to MB service, I tried to open and close roof just to see if it was a battery problem.. that worked fine (still on hold with MB).

I then got into my car and tried again.. VROOM... it started.

Told MB not to worry.. as it started and ill bring it in tomoro so they could plug in the star diag system and find out whats wrong.

SOO.. i went for a coffee with some friends.. after coffee tonight i walked up to my car, got in, pluged the key in then just sat there and sighed.. turned the key.. YAY>> NOTHING

Took the key out.. and tried again.. VROOM.. thank god.

Went to my folks house to talk to my brother about it.. 10min later, went back to my car . NOTHING.

Took about 40min of trying to start it.. BUT.. weirdly.. just before she started, I opened and closed my roof again.. and she started after that. Was that a fluke, or somehow connected?

Anyway.. the main reason im writing all this is that im freakin out about my baby and wanna know if anyone else has had this problem and how it was fixed, so at least I have something to go on when i go to MB in the monring (thats if the car starts).

thankx guys and gals

Edited by da_nailgun 5/4/2006 6:04 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 8:13 AM
ianx, manchester

RE: ADVICE NEEDED: car doesnt start!

does the key turn all the way when you have failed start attempts?
#8284 - in reply to #8258
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 8:24 AM
Duo-Art

Re: ADVICE NEEDED: car doesnt start!

Try your other key just in case it is a problem with your key.
#8289 - in reply to #8258
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 8:59 AM
da_nailgun

Yea.. key turns all the way every time.

ianx, manchester - 5/4/2006 10:13 AM

does the key turn all the way when you have failed start attempts?
#8304 - in reply to #8284
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 9:01 AM
da_nailgun

Duo-Art - 5/4/2006 10:24 AM

Try your other key just in case it is a problem with your key.

Tried that too when i was trying to make my car start.
Didnt make a difference.

But.. since ive been home.. ive tried to start my car every hour'ish since, and its started every time.
Still doesnt give me any confidence
#8305 - in reply to #8289
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 8:09 PM
Roomie

Sorry to hear about your problem man!
I'd freak for lot less than that!

Please let us know what caused it after you've been to the service dep, that's if they know what it is.

Hope it all works out.

PS. I just got my baby like three weeks ago and I'm starting to hear a little noise when I'm pulling the roof down, barely noticeable, and that's enough to make me start worrying :D
#8621 - in reply to #8258
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 10:33 PM
da_nailgun

Roomie - 5/4/2006 10:09 PM
PS. I just got my baby like three weeks ago and I'm starting to hear a little noise when I'm pulling the roof down, barely noticeable, and that's enough to make me start worrying :D

thats seems fine.. it may even get louder.. mine does that when opening and closing..
HMM.. i hope its ok..

anyway

wen to MB this morning.
Just what i thought.. star guide came up with no errors at all to do with the starting of the car.
And cos the car was starting all morning and at MB, they couldnt do anything about it.

I even took it to a battery place so they could really check out the battery.
After putting it on FULL load and testing it.. the battery guy said "WHOA.. this battery could start a truck, its perfect".

Now where do i stand.
Im now dreading starting my car as Im really waiting for it NOT to.
#8719 - in reply to #8621
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 9:54 AM
da_nailgun

my car is booked in to MB tomorrow.
They want it for a coupla days :(
and they rekon they'll 'test' some things (voltage fluctuations etc, blah blah blah).

I bet all ill get is damaged interior parts (as they'll be taking things apart no doubt) and no real fix or anything.

#9397 - in reply to #8719
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 10:37 AM
etyu

I am sorry to hear about this. It may be a faulty battery which sometimes may be hard to diagnose if only a few cells are defective. If the failure to start keeps recurring, I would ask for a new battery from MB.
#9413 - in reply to #8258
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 10:54 AM
woolly

da_nailgun - 5/7/2006 2:54 AM my car is booked in to MB tomorrow.I bet all ill get is damaged interior parts 

... no, you'll get damaged interior parts PLUS a couple of extra hundred miles on the clock

#9414 - in reply to #9397
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 8:37 PM
da_nailgun

woolly - 5/6/2006 12:54 PM ... no, you'll get damaged interior parts PLUS a couple of extra hundred miles on the clock

u talking from experience. I hope not.
My interior is better than brand new.
I looked at it last night with a strong light..
Not even ONE fine mark on any surface at all.
Basically, I don’t wear a watch, any rings, nothing like that when im in my car.
Everything either goes in glove box or on the floor. That’s why its perfect.

If i get my slk back and its damaged in any way and not fixed, I'll go psycho.

Basically when i take it in, im taking the service manager, and MB manager around my car and showing them that its perfect in and out, and telling them that if there is any damage what so ever when i get it back, they'll be replacing the affected parts.

Ive learnt in the past its the only way to do things, cos ive been burnt once before (like im sure many of you have).

On another note. last night when I went to go out I took my other car (1994 nissan 300zx - perfect condition as well).

Im sure you would have heard from from Australia when I swore, when about 10min into my trip, by headlights turned off. Then about 1min later, while driving back home with my high beams on, they switched off as well.

I have two cars.. and Im not really driving any of them, as 1. the mb might not start, and 2 my nissan i cant drive at night cos of some electrical problem (as yea.. all fuses are fine).

Lucky me.

Edited by da_nailgun 5/6/2006 8:41 PM
#10061 - in reply to #9414
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 9:48 PM
woolly

da_nailgun - 5/7/2006 1:37 PM
woolly - 5/6/2006 12:54 PM ... no, you'll get damaged interior parts PLUS a couple of extra hundred miles on the clock
u talking from experience. I hope not. My interior is better than brand new. I looked at it last night with a strong light.. Not even ONE fine mark on any surface at all. Basically, I don’t wear a watch, any rings, nothing like that when im in my car. Everything either goes in glove box or on the floor. That’s why its perfect. If i get my slk back and its damaged in any way and not fixed, I'll go psycho. Basically when i take it in, im taking the service manager, and MB manager around my car and showing them that its perfect in and out, and telling them that if there is any damage what so ever when i get it back, they'll be replacing the affected parts. Ive learnt in the past its the only way to do things, cos ive been burnt once before (like im sure many of you have). On another note. last night when I went to go out I took my other car (1994 nissan 300zx - perfect condition as well). Im sure you would have heard from from Australia when I swore, when about 10min into my trip, by headlights turned off. Then about 1min later, while driving back home with my high beams on, they switched off as well. I have two cars.. and Im not  weeksreally driving any of them, as 1. the mb might not start, and 2 my nissan i cant drive at night cos of some electrical problem (as yea.. all fuses are fine). Lucky me. :ahhh:

...it's bad news - I've got a 350SLK that won't start after 2 weeks - I've tried goin to the dealer, but after 261 miles in the dealers, (I've only done 2700 in 18 months), they cannot find the problem.  I just keep the car on a bike battery tender.  What gets me is the 30 year Mobilolife gaurentee - I work in electronics, but I would be hard pushed to offer a 3 year warrente on any of my stuff.

#10092 - in reply to #10061
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 10:39 PM
da_nailgun

so, you have a battery problem?
Ive had my battery tested and its a good as new.
What another MB dealer that i randomly called told me that they had a similar problem with an E class, and they had to reply the ignition switch, and that fixed the problem.

So it could be as simple as that.. or it may never happen again.

Who knows
#10103 - in reply to #10092
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 11:33 AM
Ripple

If the car is an automatic, could it have anything to do with the inhibitor switch ?
#11222 - in reply to #8258
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 1:01 PM
RonJeffries

Ripple - 5/9/2006 11:33 AM

If the car is an automatic, could it have anything to do with the inhibitor switch ?

That's a good idea. Be sure to have foot on the brake, and to push the stick forward with the hand.
#11274 - in reply to #11222
Author
Posted 5/10/2006 9:26 AM
da_nailgun

just an update.
havent taken my car in yet

kinda worried about them not actually fixing it and damaging it in the process.

Car has been starting perfectly since.. so im kinda pretending its fine.. but in the meantime doing some research so i can hopefully find a FIX for the problem so i can tell MB, instead of them pokin' round
#9476 - in reply to #9414
Author
Posted 5/10/2006 2:16 PM
Ripple

Seems that some posts have fallen by the wayside after the server problems. I did suggest that this might have been some issue with the inhibitor switch, either on the brake pedal or the gearbox. Just a thought.
#9551 - in reply to #8258
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 4:58 PM
da_nailgun

thankx ripple
#9870 - in reply to #9551
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 8:55 PM
CMiYC

I woudl only suspect the battery if all of the electronics are affected when you turn to the start position. As you said it, the car doesn't even try to start. Sounds like a switch somewhere as failed.

Could be a bad relay, a switch with the tranny (as suggested), a loose sensor, etc. It may not be until the car refuses to start anyone can understand what is wrong with it.

Try to track things that might help point to a way to reproduce. Does it only happen when it is cold? What about the temperature outside? How much gas was in it? How long did you drive it on the last trip before it failed?
#12740 - in reply to #8258
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1