Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : Grand unification of SLK forums?

Page 1 of 2 12
Grand unification of SLK forums?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 1:42 AM
bmetz

Date registered: Dec 1899
Grand unification of SLK forums?

So, are we going to really unify the three forums? It was annoying catching duplicate threads with slightly different information at two sites, and now we have three..ugh. I guess I don't really care where we discuss things but I'm not sure if we're getting a lot out of this new site if we're just going to continue to discuss things on the old one in more depth.

I guess what I'm saying is, we're all pretty much reading all three, can we please pick one?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 4:47 AM
steve-p

RE: Grand unification of SLK forums?

I think it's fine to reply to topics in the other places, but I'll be starting any new topics here only. If everyone does that then the traffic will migrate gradually anyway.
#9355 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 5:37 AM
RonJeffries

I'm only reading this one and Benzworld, never got hooked on mb or whatever it is -- can't even remember any more.

What interests me is that PointedThree has so quickly ramped up. Admittedly it was on the heels of a very ugly change to BenzWorld, but I'd not have expected so many people to flock over here all at once as they did.

In a way, I guess, it's the "free market" working. If so, maybe all three will survive. Or maybe one or two will die out over time.

I'd just like to know what has made this one so successful so quickly. It's very interesting ...
#9360 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 8:45 AM
fgwinn

Ease of use is one factor that infuences people to stay here once they find the place.. The most frustrating thing about this site is that there is not enough history to make it useful for searches. It's almost as if every model forum is for a newly introduced car model. Somewhat like the BW R171 forum two years ago.

In the past I found the R171 BW forum excellent, but I frequently consulted the MB W211 forum because it was more active. Although I never felt welcomed on the MB forum. I don't think that group is fond of DIYers. Currently the P3 W211 forum is very poorly attended. I almost feel like I am a moderator for my own posts. Hopefully that will change soon.

In some ways I regret posting my DIY articles to any forum. I think I would have been better off publishing the stuff on my own web site and then just providing pointers to it. That approach would transcend the life of any particular forum. Perhaps it's not too late to do just that.
#9383 - in reply to #9360
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 8:49 AM
alroumi

Re: Grand unification of SLK forums?

Ill be checking 3 of them frequently
#9384 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 9:43 AM
bclark

RonJeffries - 5/6/2006 4:37 AM

I'd just like to know what has made this one so successful so quickly. It's very interesting ...

It is interesting but quality and timing combined make for an effective startup.
We were sharing common frustrations that were immediate at a time when our respected
moderator showed us an alternative. Wham!
#9394 - in reply to #9360
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 9:47 AM
bclark

fgwinn - 5/6/2006 7:45 AM

Although I never felt welcomed on the MB forum. I don't think that group is fond of DIYers. Currently the P3 .

That's too bad. For one, I am definitely not mechanically inclined. However, I enjoy reading
posts that go into the guts and reveal what happens behind the scenes. Mysteries revealed.
#9396 - in reply to #9383
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 11:07 AM
Zut

Like our friend RonJeffries, I only visit Benzworld and this site. I must admit that all this Benzworld "site-revamping" has changed my consultation habits. To be perfectly honest, I don't feel at home anymore at Benzworld and I never really made myself at home here. Unfortunately, I am starting to lose interest in the whole thing.
#9417 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/6/2006 12:21 PM
AsianML

MBWorld will never die out. It's too active.

It's BW that I think may die out soon. I am on BW less and less now, and am more active on MBW and here as a result of the BW migra(ine)tion.
#9428 - in reply to #9417
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 8:05 AM
Shinigami

I'll be checking all three.

However, sadly it seems like MB forums are never quite as well put together or as big as forums for other cars like BMW's or Porsches etc... Usually they have one big, good forum.

I hope one of these three will be able to go up and above them.
#10228 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 10:20 AM
ianx, manchester

steve-p - 5/6/2006 9:47 AM

I think it's fine to reply to topics in the other places, but I'll be starting any new topics here only. If everyone does that then the traffic will migrate gradually anyway.

Same, here...

the way to bring folks over here is to offer them something they cannot get elsewhere...

Due to various reasons behind the scenes, the Alldata sticky will only ever be updated here at P3.
Also 'Parts Guru' is unique to this site.
I'm also trying to get a live webchat session organised with one of the R171 development team.
there's lots of bureaucracy involved, but i'm hopefull.
#10268 - in reply to #9355
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 8:53 AM
Dinoman

Zut, I coudn't agree more. The camaraderie and the viral nature of BW are both gone, and it seems like a mere shell of what it so recently was. This new site is much more user-friendly than the "new" BW, but the spark is missing. I'll hang in, hoping that things pick up. By the way, my good friend (and excellent photographer) John has suggested a five-car group photo session, or perhaps an Italian grouping and a German grouping. We may attempt this next Saturday. My blue Dino has been cured (an errant screw had disconnected the accelerator cable), and its performance has been restored. I am hopeful that I will have pix of the "gang" sometime next week. Dinoman
#10648 - in reply to #9417
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 9:41 AM
Zut

Dinoman - 5/8/2006 8:53 AM
My blue Dino has been cured (an errant screw had disconnected the accelerator cable), and its performance has been restored. I am hopeful that I will have pix of the "gang" sometime next week. Dinoman

Cool!
#10662 - in reply to #10648
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 2:14 PM
Ynot

BW has one thing better than MB, the r171 section, that is by far the most active, if we stop posting in that section, it's going to die very quickly. MB's r171 sections are only a little less active than BW b/c it's separated into two sections, non and amg models so, it seems as if MBworld is less active. Put the two sections together and it's not much different. MBworld's overall interface and other sections are far more active, look at the c203 and off topic, MBworld has over 600 members at any given time, can't say the same for BW.

I visit all three and sometimes MBcanada, I find I could get more daily info BW but when it comes to mods, MBworld is more useful.

fgwinn, don't stop posting, especailly your DIY projects, I find it very useful.
#10741 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 6:55 PM
Ripple

I think its disgraceful that you want to try and close out the other forums. This is the newbie and I think the ethics and poor standards that have been used to get people here are dishonourable at best. I shudder the thought that all 3 are brought together, even though it isn't commercially viable to do
#10869 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 8:51 PM
fgwinn

I re-read all of the above posts. I don't see anything really malicious directed towards the other two forums. What I do hear is a lot of frustration about the changes at BW. And frustration about the time consumed by monitoring three sites. And some speculation about the life expectancy of a site if a few people focus solely on P3. I have been following BW for several years. and MBW for somewhat less time. I think there is a never ending wave of people who will come and go at these sites. A small group of members will have no affect on the long-term viability of a particular forum. Eventually our interests will change and someone else will fill our space.

On the other hand, the features of a particular forum, the effectiveness of the moderators, and the depth of information on a given forum will affect its membership level.

Ripple - 5/8/2006 6:55 PM

I think its disgraceful that you want to try and close out the other forums. This is the newbie and I think the ethics and poor standards that have been used to get people here are dishonourable at best. I shudder the thought that all 3 are brought together, even though it isn't commercially viable to do
#10928 - in reply to #10869
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 10:46 PM
bclark

fgwinn - 5/8/2006 7:51 PM

I re-read all of the above posts. I don't see anything really malicious directed towards the other two forums. What I do hear is a lot of frustration about the changes at BW. And frustration about the time consumed by monitoring three sites. And some speculation about the life expectancy of a site if a few people focus solely on P3. I have been following BW for several years. and MBW for somewhat less time. I think there is a never ending wave of people who will come and go at these sites. A small group of members will have no affect on the long-term viability of a particular forum. Eventually our interests will change and someone else will fill our space.

On the other hand, the features of a particular forum, the effectiveness of the moderators, and the depth of information on a given forum will affect its membership level.

Well put
#10994 - in reply to #10928
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 8:40 AM
Dinoman

I think that, to some extent, what happened at BW is similar to what happens after a guest or two become the first to leave a party. Somehow, momentum is lost, and nothing that anyone does will be able to recapture it. In the case of BW, the new format was the catalyst for the migration, but once the "old hands" (I don't include myself in this group) began to jump ship, the handwriting was on the wall. Instances like this often remind me of a quip that the the German-born director Billy Wilder made when he was being honored with a lifetime-achievement award from the American Film Institute. He said: "If you make a movie and no one goes to the theatre to see it, you can't stop them!" Dinoman
#11174 - in reply to #10928
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 8:46 AM
Zut

Ripple - 5/8/2006 6:55 PM

Who wants to close out any forum? I personally came here for the following reasons:

1. I did not like the changes made at BenzWorld.
2. I did not feel at home there after almost a year and well over 800 posts.
3. Most of my good BenzWorld friends chose to come here.

What is dihonourable about that? I have never badmouthed BenzWorld and I may go back there should the situation revert to what it used to be. BTW, what was your nick in BenzWorld? There is a Ripple at BenzWorld but he only wrote 8 posts. I could not find any Ripple at MBWorld and here, you have written 11 posts so far. Please take no offence at my saying this, but how can you judge this situation if you are a newbie in all forums? Of course, if I am wrong, please excuse me. I think that those of us who are disappointed and sometimes a little bitter only miss the friendly atmosphere of the old BenzWorld forum. If you ever get to know us better, you will find that we are a very nice group and we shall be glad to include you.
#11176 - in reply to #10869
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 11:26 AM
Ripple

Firstly let me apologise, when I re read what was written I have taken it out of context. My main gripe was in the way that Ianx had sent private messages to people on BW encouraging us to move over, whilst in principal this is just the passing of information, I felt that Ianx (as a respected moderator of BW) was acting against the forum that he had supported so well, it was just a little clandestine in its manner (the request that his actions should be kept quiet). However, he has continued with this board in the same fervant manner with this forum so I am sure that it will become as successful as BW.
I really meant no offence in my earlier post although I can clearly see how this could be arrived at.
Please accept my apologies.

#11220 - in reply to #9339
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12