Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : Grand unification of SLK forums?

Page 2 of 2 12
Grand unification of SLK forums?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 12:27 PM
bclark

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Grand unification of SLK forums?

Thanks. Nothing like healthy dialogue. . .
#11264 - in reply to #11220
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 2:10 PM
Zut

Ripple - 5/9/2006 11:26 AM

Firstly let me apologise, when I re read what was written I have taken it out of context. My main gripe was in the way that Ianx had sent private messages to people on BW encouraging us to move over, whilst in principal this is just the passing of information, I felt that Ianx (as a respected moderator of BW) was acting against the forum that he had supported so well, it was just a little clandestine in its manner (the request that his actions should be kept quiet). However, he has continued with this board in the same fervant manner with this forum so I am sure that it will become as successful as BW.
I really meant no offence in my earlier post although I can clearly see how this could be arrived at.
Please accept my apologies.

Don't worry about it! We are all a little uncomfortable in this awkward situation. I for one did not receive a message from Ianx encouraging me to join this forum. One of the friends I was talking about in my other post did send me a message to let me know that there was a new forum where some of the BenzWorld most frequent users came. No big deal really! I don't believe that there was any wrongdoing on Ianx part or anyone else's, for that matter.
#11303 - in reply to #11220
Author
Posted 5/9/2006 2:53 PM
Dinoman

I think it's great that so many BW members have come over to Pointed Three. I, too, have not abandoned BW, though I must admit that it doesn't hold my interest the way that it used to. I had been visiting BW for quite some time before joining, and was only active for about seven weeks before the migration. Because of the furious posting activity, it seemed like a much longer time. Eventually, things will settle down, and this new forum will seem more familiar. At times, there was almost too much "buzz" at BW. It got a bit overheated on occasion, and was starting to seem almost crowded. Some middle ground of activity would be nice. Anyway, I'm very glad to be here. Dinoman
#11327 - in reply to #11176
Author
Posted 5/10/2006 1:03 PM
steve-p

I've never cared much for MBWorld because they have separate forums for AMG and non-AMG R171s. That doesn't work for me. Benzworld was OK until they messed with the layout, and the new one was appalling. However, I see that it has improved again since then.
#9526 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 4:01 AM
Beleriand

I never visited BW because of Ianx. In fact, I find him to be exceptionally abrasive. I visited BW because of the many other cool regulars who visited the site like Julien, Ynot, Dinoman, EasySLK, Ron, etc. In fact, my decision to visit this site will have nothing to do with Ianx or his affiliation with it. It will be for the same reason I visited BW - the other cool members who treat me with kindness and respect. Now that Ianx wants us to visit this site, he is much kinder and gentler than before. I think that sucks.

Here is a link to the kind of treatment I got from Ianx after having been a member of BW for less than a week.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1249275-would...

Make what you will of it. Perhaps I am being too sensative. But I don't think any of us should come here because we got some private email from anyone or keep the fact that we visit here a secret. Isn't that going a bit far?
#11465 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 11:51 AM
Dinoman

Beleriand, I've missed your repartee' and your news of goings-on in So. Cal. Having visited the area a number of times, I can only say that you live the life that all car lovers dream of. Today on Auto Spies I watched a video submitted by the Ferrari Club of America, California Region. It was titled "Why We Live in Southern California." It features lots of late-model Ferraris zooming down the road at full roar. At one point this explanation appears on the screen: "Because you can't do this in Buffalo!" I second that sentiment (I live 75 miles due east of Buffalo), and only wish that I could see the variety of beautiful machinery that is displayed on Orange County highways on a daily basis. Unlike L.A. and San Diego/La Jolla, people in your area drive what they have, which puts on a great show for everybody. Glad to see that you're back! Dinoman
#11504 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 2:47 PM
Beleriand

Thanks Dinoman. Remind me of those nice things you said about So Cal when my property tax bill comes.

And sorry to everyone for the multiple posts above. This site was freaking out last night.

Take care.
#11561 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 6:11 PM
Easty

It's a free forum. Not sure what the descussion is about. were here because of the other memebers, the environment of the forum and the great admin. It's good to have options, but guess it's bad to have duplication and a little de-centrilisation. It true though if you don't want to be browsing multiple forum's, I don't think you'll miss anything. If anything great happens it'll soon get posted here.  It's strange there's also the AMG forum and that gets a different crowd, almost seem like a less IT literate crowd. "spit spit"
#11629 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 7:38 PM
fgwinn

I re-read the old thread from BW where ianx explained why he moved your post. He may have been a bit abrupt, but, I suspect that he was doing twenty other things at the same time like admins normally do. When I consider the overall value that he offers to the MB consumer community, I can overlook what you characterize as abrasive behavior.

In other words, I think your suspicion that you are being too sensitive is correct. I have enjoyed reading about the personalization of your own car and I hope you hang around here for the long term to share your SLK experience.

Beleriand - 5/12/2006 4:00 AM

.... Perhaps I am being too sensitive....
#11652 - in reply to #9339
Author
Posted 5/13/2006 6:56 AM
RonJeffries

Dinoman - 5/9/2006 8:40 AM

I think that, to some extent, what happened at BW is similar to what happens after a guest or two become the first to leave a party. Somehow, momentum is lost, and nothing that anyone does will be able to recapture it.

I read an interesting notion on that the other day. The idea is that lots of people are actually ready to leave the party, whether they are chatting, dancing, whatever. Then someone leaves, making it OK to do what they already want. Then the exodus begins.

I know that's true for me. I get tired of being at a party pretty early on, but hate to be the first to leave, because I don't want people to think I'm not having a good time. (Even though I might not be having a good enough time to stay, if I had my druthers. Is that being a bit TOO polite?) Anyway, when someone makes it OK to leave, I wait a discreet interval and then do what I already wanted to do.

On the other hand, I didn't have much of a feeling of wanting to leave BW, in fact I still visit there. The new layout was awful, and is still pretty ugly, and this one is very inviting. So now I'm at both parties, which is a bit different from being ready to leave one. I'm not happy about there being more than one forum, but life is tuff. The market will decide.
#11775 - in reply to #11174
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 8:47 AM
Dinoman

Ron, With my luck, when I'm ready to leave the party, and finally find my opening, I usually have to go back to the party to find the person whose car is blocking mine! Dinoman
#12450 - in reply to #11775
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12