Roof mechanism
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 2:50 AM
portzy

Date registered: Dec 1899
Roof mechanism

Hello all, my first post on here!.

I just wondered, has anyone here tried to inspect the roof mechanism close up?. I'm wanting to get to all the levers and bearings etc to do a bit of lubricating and also clean the inside of the rear screen at the same time.

I know you can stop the roof lowering process at any point by releasing the button but what happens if you leave it in the partially open/closed position for an extended time?. Does it restart, or deflate in some way?

Thanks in anticipation.

Portzy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 3:37 AM
GG AD 600

RE: Roof mechanism

It does "deflate" in some way...After about 5 minutes you will hear a loud beeping / warning sound and the varioroof will continue to open/close depending in which direction you started it to move. On my 2004 model there´s also a warning message on the front MFD.

Andy

#9747 - in reply to #9742
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 4:01 AM
steve-p

Do you think there's a need to lubricate the bearings? I don't think I would. How would you know that the lubricant is the correct formulation and viscosity? Might do more harm than good. If it needs lubrication, if will be part of the service schedule.
#9753 - in reply to #9742
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 4:29 AM
gary350

portzy - 5/11/2006 7:50 AM

I just wondered, has anyone here tried to inspect the roof mechanism close up?. I'm wanting to get to all the levers and bearings etc to do a bit of lubricating and also clean the inside of the rear screen at the same time.

I know you can stop the roof lowering process at any point by releasing the button but what happens if you leave it in the partially open/closed position for an extended time?. Does it restart, or deflate in some way?

Thanks in anticipation.

Portzy.

Hi dave
I know that MB will lubricate the roof come service time but I think its just seals and the like. The rear window cleaning is a different matter I have not yet been able to do the job to my satisfaction, if you find a new way to do it let me know, having flexible arms may help.

gary.
#9757 - in reply to #9742
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 6:29 AM
jbanks15

check out the product in this thread

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r171-slk-class/1224773-how-clean-re...

Edited by jbanks15 5/11/2006 6:31 AM
#9766 - in reply to #9757
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 6:01 PM
bloflin

WITH engine running the top will hold in an intermediate point in the open/close cycle for 5 to 7 minutes (haven't timed it).

With the engine off, the top will hold only for about 30 seconds.

For cleaning the rear window, yes get the product reference in the referenced post above.

I use for rear inside (otherwise I just couldn't do a good job), but ALSO use it for the front windshield inside. Really allows you to get right to the bottom edge (could do that with my fingers, too much angle). It's great.
#11627 - in reply to #9742
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 2:12 AM
portzy

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Its an age thing I guess, the lubricating bit that is. There's so much less to do for yourself these days with modern cars especially this one so I fancied a bit of pre-emptive maintenance on the roof mechanism. I'll leave well alone then for the time being.

I got one of those glass-window cleaner thingies though!. Quite by chance a local "pound shop" had dozens of them in from a bankruptcy sale so I picked one up for, you guessed it, a pound. That said, with the seats fully forward its still a bit of a struggle. I think that I will have to employ a local youngster and bung him or her a couple of quid now and again.

Portzy.

#13330 - in reply to #9742
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 8:44 AM
Shinigami

Re: Roof mechanism

It was 7 minutes in the old car, if the engine was running.

If you turn the engine off while it's opening/closing, the air pump will lose pressure and the roof will fall down, unless you had it in a perfect vertical position.

The 7 minute deal is there to let you have enough time to wipe the rear window with a cloth. It's damn hard to do tho'... needs dextrous hands
#13374 - in reply to #9742
Author
Posted 5/17/2006 3:34 PM
etyu

portzy - 5/16/2006 11:12 PM

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Its an age thing I guess, the lubricating bit that is. There's so much less to do for yourself these days with modern cars especially this one so I fancied a bit of pre-emptive maintenance on the roof mechanism. I'll leave well alone then for the time being.

I got one of those glass-window cleaner thingies though!. Quite by chance a local "pound shop" had dozens of them in from a bankruptcy sale so I picked one up for, you guessed it, a pound. That said, with the seats fully forward its still a bit of a struggle. I think that I will have to employ a local youngster and bung him or her a couple of quid now and again.

Portzy.

If you got what is marketed here as "glass wizard", sometimes seen on TV infomercials too, you can unscrew the loop at the end of the handle and attach it to the end of a mop stick that is fitted with a male blunt screw at the tip (may be wood, plastic or metal). This will extend your reach and allow you to clean the rear windows after having the roof in the up position.
#13452 - in reply to #13330
Author
Posted 5/18/2006 8:52 AM
Dinoman

Portzy, I haven't yet cleaned the inside of my rear window (have had car 27 days), but I did it once last year on my SL 500, and almost needed a session with a chiropractor when I had finished! The rear window is a bit farther back in the SL, and the seats electrically move forward to gain access to behind-the-seats storage (2 buttons on each seatback), but climbing in behind the seats requires an agility that my back has long since forgotten. I try not to think about the streaks too often! Dinoman
#13707 - in reply to #13330
Author
Posted 5/18/2006 12:11 PM
Ynot

Dinoman - 5/18/2006 6:52 AM Portzy, I haven't yet cleaned the inside of my rear window (have had car 27 days),

Same here, I have not cleaned my rear window since I've owned the car last year. I drive with it top down most of the time and have not noticed it being dirty. But it seems like a difficult task, this smilie does a good job describing the feeling.

#13742 - in reply to #13707
Author
Posted 5/18/2006 6:41 PM
etyu

Sounds like it's time for an aftermarket remote controlled RF module for the retractable roof (not the dinky infrared one from MB). I can't wait to install the module this weekend. Work schedule just doesn't allow enough time, plus I need some extra time for trouble shooting (just in case).
#13841 - in reply to #9742
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 10:13 AM
Ynot

etyu - 5/18/2006 4:41 PM Sounds like it's time for an aftermarket remote controlled RF module for the retractable roof (not the dinky infrared one from MB). I can't wait to install the module this weekend. Work schedule just doesn't allow enough time, plus I need some extra time for trouble shooting (just in case).

You have patience, how could you resist, I didn't have time either but I ended up working on it at eight in the evening. Took until the next day to be able to crimp the two wires together, just a warning, if you have a smaller crimper, used it, it's easier to get the smaller wire in there, the one provided keeps falling off. Good luck.

#14098 - in reply to #13841
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 1:30 PM
etyu

Ynot - 5/19/2006 7:13 AM

You have patience, how could you resist, I didn't have time either but I ended up working on it at eight in the evening. Took until the next day to be able to crimp the two wires together, just a warning, if you have a smaller crimper, used it, it's easier to get the smaller wire in there, the one provided keeps falling off. Good luck.

I do have to exercise EXTRAORDINARY control and I plan to draw power from the fuse box instead of crimping. This way there won't be a trace when I remove the module and bring the car to MB for service. I'll post my experience on the "aftermarket vario roof" thread and try to post pictures on the part where I connect to the fuse box.
#14136 - in reply to #14098
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 2:04 PM
Ynot

etyu - 5/19/2006 11:30 AM I do have to exercise EXTRAORDINARY control and I plan to draw power from the fuse box instead of crimping. This way there won't be a trace when I remove the module and bring the car to MB for service. I'll post my experience on the "aftermarket vario roof" thread and try to post pictures on the part where I connect to the fuse box.

That's a great alternative, if I got your msg before I'd it installed, I would probably do the same thing.

#14143 - in reply to #14136
Author
Posted 5/19/2006 3:14 PM
etyu

Ynot - 5/19/2006 11:04 AM

etyu - 5/19/2006 11:30 AM I do have to exercise EXTRAORDINARY control and I plan to draw power from the fuse box instead of crimping. This way there won't be a trace when I remove the module and bring the car to MB for service. I'll post my experience on the "aftermarket vario roof" thread and try to post pictures on the part where I connect to the fuse box.

That's a great alternative, if I got your msg before I'd it installed, I would probably do the same thing.

It still is an option to keep in mind, if for some reason in the distant future, the crimp breaks or malfunctions.
#14164 - in reply to #14143
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 1:22 PM
bclark

portzy - 5/11/2006 1:50 AM

Portzy.

By the way, welcome aboard!!!
#14467 - in reply to #9742