Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Technical Forums : Mercedes-Benz Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension : What do you think about these?

Page 1 of 1 1
What do you think about these?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/10/2008 9:48 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
What do you think about these?

What do you guys think about these tires? I narrowed them down with TireRack's list since they usually have the greatest selection. I plan on buying through Discount Tire though since they have a 10% discount going on right now and there's a Discount Tire store near me.

Goodyear Fortera TripleTread

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

General Altimax HP

The only ones Discount has listed on their site in OE size are the Goodyears. I'll have to call Monday to see if they can get me the other two tires and if I can still get the discount with them.

I did some reading on the reviews and the Goodyears have had mostly positive ones. Excellent year round traction and they last pretty long according to some reviews. Although treadwear depends on a lot of factors, knowing they could last up to 60,000 miles is a little more comforting. UTQG is 600 A B.

I believe someone on BW has had the Bridgestone's on their ML and they had a very positive review for it. UTQG is 600 A A.

Really, the only factor that led to me consider the General's was the price. However, UTQG is 440 A A. This is pretty close to OE Continental 4x4 Contact's that I have on the ML right now. I can't remember if the tires were new on the ML when we bought it, but they're at the wear bars now. We bought the ML with about 35k miles, so we've had about 30k miles with these tires. If the wear based on various forum posts and the UTQG is correct, then the tires were pretty much new when we bought the ML, so these General's might wear at about the same rate. If that's the case, then the savings from these are pretty much gone. I like the tread design, but I don't think they'll fair well in the winter.

If I have all of my numbers right, I can get the first two for about $530.00 after all discounts/rebates. I can get the last one for a little less than $400 if the discount is included.

Let me know what you all think. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/14/2008 1:43 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz
RE: What do you think about these?

I'd ask the ML guys only ... since car and truck tires are so different I have no idea about these..

#120265 - in reply to #120034
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1