Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/31/2008 4:38 PM
Bruce280
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 83 280GE, 81 300GD
temp gauge question

I recently finished an engine swap in my 300D. With the car back on the road, I immediately noticed that my temp gauge is now dead. Prior to pulling the old engine it was working fine.

I've tried swapping the sending unit with the one from the old engine, as well as hooking up a spare instrument cluster, which I'm pretty sure had a working temp gauge in it. No joy. So I figure the only thing left is an open between the sender and gauge. Since I don't know which pin on the connector at the instrument cluster goes to the temp sender, I tested all 15 holes in the connector...no continuity anywhere. (That is, continuity between the connector holes and the push-on plug at the sender.) One of those little holes should have continuity with the sender plug, shouldn't it?

I worked the sender lead out of the engine wiring harness, going back about 18 inches or so. I thought I could have damaged the wire during reinstallation of the engine harness. But the wire looked perfect to me.

Does anybody have any tips for locating the break? The wiring harness goes into a black box on the inner fender that I assume is the glow plug relay. Anyway, I have no idea how to trace the sender lead past this point. Any help appreciated.

thanks,
Bruce
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/1/2008 12:53 PM
Bruce280
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): 83 280GE, 81 300GD
RE: temp gauge question

I found the problem last night. There's a push-connector for the temp sender wire in the left inner fender, behind the headlights and just below that relay box I mentioned. Somehow I had managed to pull that connection apart during the engine swap. That's all it was.

It was hard to recognize that connector as belonging to the temp sender because the lead at the engine side is a green wire. On my car, just before it emerges from the sheathed bundle at the other end, it becomes a black wire. I don't know if this is standard or not.
#128260 - in reply to #128155
Author
Posted 9/12/2008 3:37 PM
supercharger

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: temp gauge question

ive just done the same thing yesterday with a w123 coupe 230ce done a swap of engine and no temp gauge working is the push connector you mention a vacuum conector behind the left hand indicator as you stand at the front of the car
hope you can help

supercharger
#131516 - in reply to #128155
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1