Page 1 of 1 1
Excessive Upshift delay when cold
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/14/2009 9:33 PM
colink

Date registered: Dec 1899
Excessive Upshift delay when cold

My 1999 E430 (51,000 miles) stays in first or second gear for 10 minutes after starting on a cold morning (<48F), resulting in high revs and making highway speeds impossible.

This continues long after the engine has reached 95F and at speeds up to and higher than 31mph.

After it has fully warmed up, it shifts fine all day.

I just got the car, so I don't know how long it has had this problem.

I know there is supposed to be an upshift delay when cold, but this is excessive.

I have re-adapted the transmission and had the fluid level checked, but the problem remains.

Any ideas please?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/23/2009 7:57 PM
colink

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Excessive Upshift delay when cold

One morning I shifted to neutral on the move. When I went back to D - no drive!

Then I noticed the D indicator light was not on either. I fiddled with the selector lever and when I managed to hold it in a position where the D light was on, hey presto the gear box functioned pefectly.

So, I reckon my problem is the selector position recognition switch is not sensing that the lever is in D. For me this happens when the car's interior temprature is cold (<50F). I don't think it has anything to do with the engine temperature.

Next step: remove and clean the switch. If that does not fix it, I will replace it:
210 545 13 32 http://www.oem-mercedes-benz-parts.com/searchitem.epc
#149282 - in reply to #148725
Author
Posted 8/15/2011 2:57 AM
blackslide

Date registered: Aug 2011
Vehicle(s):

RE: Excessive Upshift delay when cold

Would be nice to know what eventually fixed the issue. I'm having slight lagging when cold. Runs to 3000rpm when driving easy before changes to 2nd, usually need to pump the gas a bit to make the box change, or use the stick. I haven't flushed the box yet so it might be just that, or then it is just a delay that has been programmed into it.
#193551 - in reply to #148725
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1