Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W140 S Class : Photo DIY- Coolant Service a la Vacuum Method

Page 1 of 1 1
Photo DIY- Coolant Service a la Vacuum Method
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/10/2009 1:26 PM
G-AMG
G-Class DIY Host

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '04 G55, '80 280GE, '99 S420, '98 E320, 2011 E350
Photo DIY- Coolant Service a la Vacuum Method

Yes, a very basic maintenance item, but one I think is overlooked, and often is POORLY and INCOMPLETELY performed.

Ask the "Stealership" *HOW* they do their $49.95 "Coolant" services...... I think you will find *MOST* will just drain the Radiator, and Refill.... end of story!
This leaves around 1/3 of the fluid still in the system. Yes, perhaps an infusion of fresh anticorrosive coolant is better than nothing,,,,, I believe in the WIS SPECIFIED method of Coolant Service as shown in this Post.

Personally I do Coolant Service every TWO years, instead of the "recommended" THREE years. I live in a horribly harsh environment of heat, humidity and salt, thus, my desire to have a more "accelerated" schedule. I also change the brake fluid ANNUALLY.

Please use care when working with the coolant system. ONLY open the system with temps less than 90C, and do it SLOWLY. Wear a face shield, gloves and protective clothing.

Apparently Zerex 05 is the "same" thing as the MB fluid for cheaper. WIS allow Distilled H2O. (Our water here is horrible).

I would strongly recommend the Vacuum Fill method. With the "Remote" expansion reservoirs, and their "weenie" tube with go to the radiator, it takes a long time to fill with the normal "gravity" method.. Plus you have the issue of "burping" out any retained bubbles in the system.

(1.JPG)

(2.JPG)

(3.JPG)

(4.JPG)

(5.JPG)

(6.JPG)

(7.JPG)

(8.JPG)

(9.JPG)

(10.JPG)

(11.JPG)

(12.JPG)