From Brazil
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/8/2009 10:14 PM
Ulysses V8 Benz

Date registered: Dec 1899
From Brazil

Greetings,

my name is Ulysses and I live in Brazil. I found your Forum when looking for information about the G Class (especificaly G350TD).

I am one of the Administrators of a brazilian Mercedes Forum (www.portalmercedes.com) but we have little information about this model which pratically does not exist here. As I intend to buy one and knowing the "bad reputation" of that engine I started looking for help before buying it.

I´ve already noticed that there are more brazilian guys here (and one of them owns two Gs!). Well, let´s have fun!

Regards!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/9/2009 3:43 PM
Fernando BR

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle(s): G500/05 300GE/91 300GD/80
Re: From Brazil

Hi , you arrived at the top G class forum so you can have lots of information searching , posting etc....I am not an expert but i am here to help if possible.

wellcome

ps. GD350 = trouble.
#152195 - in reply to #152133
Author
Posted 6/9/2009 4:10 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: From Brazil

The 3.5 liter 6 cylinder diesel is TROUBLE, as said before. It is known as 'the rod bender'. Mercedes took a 300 engine and over bored it to make a 350. This weakened the head gasket which caused all kinds of problems such as water or oil escaping into the #1 or #6 cylinder and creating 'vapor lock'. This resulted in the piston coming up and hitting water. It's like hitting a rock which bends the rods. Most persons who have had bent rods said it happened to #1 or #6. The bent rod isn't noticeable to the naked eye but it is measurable. Over time, the bent rod causes the piston to wear the cylinder egg shaped until it consumes copious amounts of oil. Other theories suggest that the engine wasn't tuned to the bad diesel that was sold here in the U.S. I'm more inclined to believe the water or oil leaking into the cylinder from a blown head gasket is the likely culprit. I won't ignore the possibility the rods ARE weak which lends to the problem if bad fuel is coupled with it. But, bottom line: STAY AWAY FROM A MERCEDES 350 DIESEL! It's not a question of 'will it self destruct?' but a question of 'WHEN?'
#152197 - in reply to #152133
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1