Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Community forums : General Mercedes-Benz Discussions : Ebay Ripoffs Thread

Page 1 of 2 12
Ebay Ripoffs Thread
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 11:37 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
Ebay Ripoffs Thread

Well, it was bound to happen, sooner or later. The more I trusted 98.8% feedbacks, the more at ease I would be dealing with a potential jack wod. I bought 3rd row seats for my ML430. The ebayer promised me the mounting brackets AND seatbelts in an April 21st. e-mail. 45 days later, no seats and I've been charged $899.00, so I filed a complaint with PayPal, my last day to do so. PayPal contacts him on Thurday, May 11 and he says he shipped seats. Friday p.m. is when he actually shipped them. I confirmed the following Monday they had been sent. I received them Thursday, May 18 and guess what? NO BRACKETS. He knows the seats are unusable without them. He now ignores all e-mails and my attempts to carry this dispute have been met with NOTHING. PayPal says dispute has been settled, so I have no recourse. I still have the disputed charge with VISA but I don't know how that's gonna go. I'll keep everyone posted.

If anyone else has had a rip-off experience, post it here and let us all know!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 6:24 PM
iNeon

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Ebay Ripoffs Thread

I sold an iMac g3/400 parts machine on eBay for 9.99, 30 dollars shipping. I had picked it up at the thrift store for a whopping 90 bux because it made the start up chime, but had no memory in it-- thought it'd be an easy fix for my niece and nephew a nice little computer.. Until I got it home and realized every removable part had been taken and that it was exhibiting symptoms of the osx without firmware update death...

In the auction I listed that the machine had no drives or modem and that it was sold as a parts machine only.

I sent the machine out to the middle school in wisconsin that bought it, but those people filed a complaint that they had never received the item. I scanned my post office receipt and emailed it to paypal, but they said it was not proof that they received the item and granted the buyer a refund.

That refund came from my checking account that did not contain enough funds and so basically, I gave them the machine, paid to ship it to them *and* paid giant overdraft fees.

I haven't used paypal since.
#15788 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 7:32 PM
jdc1244

RE: Ebay Ripoffs Thread

Will this also be an eBay warning thread as to criminal sellers?

iNeon, PP just accessed your checking account w/o your authorization? How much notice did you get that the refund was granted and when the funds would be transferred?

#15805 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 12:32 AM
cmitch
Expert

PayPal e-mailed me today asking that I remove the hold on my credit card for the unusable seats. I am NOT removing it until he sends the parts he promised, PERIOD! I may end up having to pay for this crap but I'll guarantee you one thing, He'll not get it without a fight. VISA says I will need to provide proof that I didn't receive items as described/promised. No problem since I have every e-mail him and I sent including the last one that he's ignoring. He should know by now that his account might be charged back for the amount. All I want is the parts, pure and simple. If he provides, I'll pay. If not, I'll send the worthless seats back to him at my expense (and I will pack them the same way he did!).

Either way, I'm a whole lot more wary of anything ebay has to offer and I've sworn that if the seller does not have an on-line company that I can order from, I simply will not buy.

#15887 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 2:57 AM
AndrewAZ

cmitch - 5/24/2006 9:32 PM

PayPal e-mailed me today asking that I remove the hold on my credit card for the unusable seats. I am NOT removing it until he sends the parts he promised, PERIOD! I may end up having to pay for this crap but I'll guarantee you one thing, He'll not get it without a fight. VISA says I will need to provide proof that I didn't receive items as described/promised. No problem since I have every e-mail him and I sent including the last one that he's ignoring. He should know by now that his account might be charged back for the amount. All I want is the parts, pure and simple. If he provides, I'll pay. If not, I'll send the worthless seats back to him at my expense (and I will pack them the same way he did!).

Either way, I'm a whole lot more wary of anything ebay has to offer and I've sworn that if the seller does not have an on-line company that I can order from, I simply will not buy.

Good for you. Usually credit car companies are great on getting things settled. We had a big fight with a local TV place over a $3,500 TV that kept breaking well its taken 5 months and we finally have an agreement that a different company will come out and pick up the TV and replace it with a new TV that was paid for by panasonic since they admit the TV was a lemon. But without the credit car company refusing payment I doubt we would of gotten a new TV. It was quite a nasty fight but basically the TV shop was getting paid by panasonic for "repairs" they did but where never done and tried to charge us $400 for bulbs (rear projection LCD) but we didnt figure out that the shop was getting credited for the bulbs untill after the 3rd one blew and we contacted panasonic so they where basically making $800 a bulb (ended up eating up 5 bulbs). Well in a few weeks we get a brand new TV and the store we bought the original problem TV is no longer an authorized panasonic dealer because of what happened.
#15903 - in reply to #15887
Author
Posted 6/18/2006 1:04 PM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): '79 300SD, '83 300D, '75 Harley-Davidson Chopper

cmitch - 5/25/2006 12:32 AM

I've been through that 2 years ago...won an auction with a full set of "Clean" "almost new" seats...paid $250 to ship them cross country...only to find caked on grease and crud...foam rubber that had the consistancy of oatmeal....and were generally unservicible. I won my case as well as the appeal the seller filed. During the appeal he wanted me to ship them back at MY cost and he would refund purchace price. I said no way...I would be out almost $500 and still not have what I bought...shipping was more than the seats cost. BUT becasue they were always availible for return to the sender if he provided me a shipping account to chage I won my case. They ended up in the trash. Keep records...copies of the auction I printed as well as photos from the auction and what I recieved helped my case...eBay said tuff I bout seats I got seats....paypall said I bought seats I got seats....VISA said whoa nelly...I bought seats that wear advertised as "Clean" and "Almost new" and what I got wouldn't be allowed on a hillbillies porch. Much less count as getting what I bought.

I won. VISA said to retain them for one callander year in case a civil suit was brought up by the seller. After that the statute runs out and toss them.  That ran out last year.  That seller is no longer registered on Ebay.

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/18/2006 1:05 PM
#24430 - in reply to #15887
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 1:32 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz

VISA says I will need to provide proof that I didn't receive items as described/promised.

How can anyone prove a negative, anyway? 

How can you prove you didn't receive something?? 

#24614 - in reply to #15887
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 5:44 AM
shrimpton

A couple of years ago I bought two 'Wheel space adaptors 5 x 112 mercedes' from ebay seller 'ezaccessory'. Of course they don't fit ANY merc. I know of (116, 123, 126) - yet they are still actively selling them (just checked ebay to confirm). I sent them photos as evidence -they suggested I get them re-bored, and closed down on further attempts by me to communicate. Cost was only US$59.95, but freight was additional $30 to NZ. I've still got them lying around in the garage somewhere as a reminder of my 1 bad ebay buy.
#24633 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 7:57 AM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

Marsden - 6/19/2006 1:32 AM

VISA says I will need to provide proof that I didn't receive items as described/promised.

How can anyone prove a negative, anyway?

How can you prove you didn't receive something??

This is where a hardcopy of the original auction comes in. Quality photos of what you recieve can show misrepresentation, something that is covered under VISA's  protection from online fraud.....and if you did not actually recieve the item then the seller should provided a tracking number to show proof item was shipped and where it went. Personally if I sold items on Ebay I would only ship with full tracking records to cover my own butt. And since the tracking records are independent of the sellers manipulation they are proof of a non-delivery.

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/19/2006 7:58 AM
#24644 - in reply to #24614
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 8:59 AM
cmitch
Expert

I have e-mails that he sent me promising the mounting hardware. He didn't send it. Plus, it took him 50 days to send me the merchandise, which is proof to me he intended to screw me in the first place. Appeal is still pending with VISA. I will drop the appeal and pay for the seats IF he sends me the parts. It's that simple. I may not win this pissing contest, but I'll be damned if I pay his crooked arse one dime willingly for seats I cannot use.
#24666 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 9:24 AM
Boneheaddoctor
W123 Host

Well without brackets its considered misrepresented items since they were clearly mentioned in the aution listing.....stick to your guns...this is why I only ever pay via Credit card using Paypal.  Your credit card company are they only people in your corner.<br />

Edited by Boneheaddoctor 6/19/2006 9:25 AM
#24676 - in reply to #24666
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 6:03 PM
cmitch
Expert

RE: Update:

I faxed VISA 7 pages of correspondence with the crook on the seats on July 3rd. I talked to a dispute resolution rep at VISA today and he says it appears I have won the dispute since I was able to provide proof he promised the hardware and didn't send. The notation said: 'Customer provided positive proof that the dispute for $899.00 is valid and I recommend the removal of this charge from his account and chargeback to the merchant'. It was dated by the investigator on July 10, 2006. I am awaiting the actual written version but the rep says it 'appears' I won. i will receive it in writing within 10 days.

The rep also said that while he doesn't make it a practice to give bad press to vendors, he did say that he would never buy anything on ebay and we all need to be wary of ebay because he sees this all the time at his job. He also indicated that most disputes that make it to VISA are UPHELD if you have the documentation to back it up! Ebay is a den of thieves and even if they have 100% positive feedback, it doesn't mean anything because if something happens after the time frame for you to leave feedback, you CAN'T leave a negative! That means a person with even a 100% can and probably has screwed a few people.

I will end this update by saying that I know there are legitimate vendors on ebay that treat people fairly. But this has burnt me and i'll be a little more careful. 

#30477 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 7/11/2006 9:39 PM
Dahappybanana

I have made one purchase from ebay, via paypal with a visa card. It went smoothly. After reading these stories I am really moving towards keeping Visa as my credit card for a long time.
#30503 - in reply to #30477
Author
Posted 7/20/2006 2:07 PM
cmitch
Expert

RE: Ebay Ripoffs Update

Well, finally, Debbie, my case worker with VISA says my case has moved on to pre-arbitration. She says this is the next to last step in the dispute process. She told me about 85% of all cases that make it to this stage win the dispute. She says if he did not send the items as promised, he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on. According to her, most likely, he will not be able to prove that he acted in good faith when I've sent 7 pages of correspondence with him proving otherwise (he told me for 3 weeks he was sending items and then only sent them when I threatened him with dispute). She says I've presented a very strong case, more than most do that have won their disputes so I take it that my chances are quite high that this is in my favor. I'll know for sure in about two weeks.
#32093 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 6:04 PM
cmitch
Expert

RE: I WON!

Wow! that was fast. Pay Pal accepted my rebuttal as proof of non-receipt of all items and has agreed with VISA to the disputed charge. My account was credited $899.00. It pays to pay with VISA!
#32304 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 7/21/2006 7:02 PM
1996_S500

RE: I WON!

cmitch - 7/21/2006 3:04 PM

Wow! that was fast. Pay Pal accepted my rebuttal as proof of non-receipt of all items and has agreed with VISA to the disputed charge. My account was credited $899.00. It pays to pay with VISA!

YEA!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations CMitch. It must have really been frustrating.
#32319 - in reply to #32304
Author
Posted 7/22/2006 11:44 AM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350

I have over 200 positive feedbacks with ebay and have a 100% positive rating. It is really too bad that there are swidlers out there. I don't do any business with vendors who do not have 100% feedback. I missed a few items I wanted, but overall I have pleased with the merchandise.
#32446 - in reply to #15655
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 2:23 PM
cmitch
Expert

Ed Mclass - 7/22/2006 10:44 AM I have over 200 positive feedbacks with ebay and have a 100% positive rating. It is really too bad that there are swidlers out there. I don't do any business with vendors who do not have 100% feedback. I missed a few items I wanted, but overall I have pleased with the merchandise.

What I found out is that 100% positive don't mean shit. The guys who swindled the buyers last Christmas out of 1000 X-Boxes had 100% positive feedback and a score of over 100 transactions. Plus, you have a time limit of only 30 days to leave a negative. I tried to leave a negative on this dude and they wouldn't let me! If a seller stalls a buyer long enough, they can keep a 100% positive feedback even though they screwed you and others. I will keep any purchases I make on ebay to an absolute minimum and they will be low ticket items when I do. The people at VISA says ebay is a den of thieves and agressive steps must be taken to stop them. They say they see this all the time!

Bad vendors make it hard on the good ones. 

#32590 - in reply to #32446
Author
Posted 8/7/2006 9:34 PM
cyntaxx
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500

Hold steadfast on that. I am.

I bought a Dell five months ago and unloaded the monitor on eBay since I already had two of them. Buyer paid with "Buy it now" and made payment through Paypal. I accepted and shipped the item. Without even contacting me, Paypal put a hold on the payment because the buyer complained that he had not received the item - this was two business days after payment was made and my auction stipulated a three-day turnaround for shipping. I have receipts for shipping, confirmation numbers, as well as US Customs verification (buyer's shipping address was in Canada). Luckily, I always withdraw directly after I get paid through Paypal and the $500 or so made it into my account before Paypal froze it.

They keep sending me notices that my account has a credit but they're the ones who dropped the ball. They have no authorization to go near my checking account (which has long since been closed due to a job relocation) so they can continue to hold the bag as they please. Meanwhile, they are losing out on my business!

I've been on the phone with them numerous times and they keep repeating the same thing: the transaction was not "covered" under their seller protection policy because the address was not fully confirmed. And everytime I respond the same way - they should've contacted me through their mediation process *before* taking the funds out so I wouldn't have shipped the monitor. As far as I'm concerned, it's their loss and no longer my responsibility.

So hold steadfast and f*ck Paypal!
#36280 - in reply to #15887
Author
Posted 8/8/2006 9:04 AM
cmitch
Expert

cyntaxx - 8/7/2006 8:34 PM

Hold steadfast on that. I am. I bought a Dell five months ago and unloaded the monitor on eBay since I already had two of them. Buyer paid with "Buy it now" and made payment through Paypal. I accepted and shipped the item. Without even contacting me, Paypal put a hold on the payment because the buyer complained that he had not received the item - this was two business days after payment was made and my auction stipulated a three-day turnaround for shipping. I have receipts for shipping, confirmation numbers, as well as US Customs verification (buyer's shipping address was in Canada). Luckily, I always withdraw directly after I get paid through Paypal and the $500 or so made it into my account before Paypal froze it. They keep sending me notices that my account has a credit but they're the ones who dropped the ball. They have no authorization to go near my checking account (which has long since been closed due to a job relocation) so they can continue to hold the bag as they please. Meanwhile, they are losing out on my business! I've been on the phone with them numerous times and they keep repeating the same thing: the transaction was not "covered" under their seller protection policy because the address was not fully confirmed. And everytime I respond the same way - they should've contacted me through their mediation process *before* taking the funds out so I wouldn't have shipped the monitor. As far as I'm concerned, it's their loss and no longer my responsibility. So hold steadfast and f*ck Paypal!

You did right by him, you provided product and evidence you shipped. In my case, the prig didn't provide all items as promised. The seats were useless without the mounting hardware and he knew it. He agreed to send it and didn't. I'm sure he's not out anything but he will be unable to sell on ebay unless he changes his user name and account. Furthermore, VISA has advised me NOT to send him the seats at my expense. They said he screwed up, not me. They told me to wait on a RMA for pick-up. I have to store these worthless items for a year before I can do whatever with them.

#36377 - in reply to #36280
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12