Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Sedan Forums : W211 E Class : Power connections for aftermarket accessories

Page 1 of 1 1
Power connections for aftermarket accessories
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/24/2006 11:26 PM
fgwinn

Date registered: Dec 1899
Power connections for aftermarket accessories

Thought I would share the approach I used for tapping into constant as well as ignition power for the Motorola IHF 1000 car phone kit. This aproach could be used for other accessories as well. The fuse block on the driver side of the dashboard should have some open slots depending upon the options in your car. Slot F038 does not seem to be allocated for any option so I used this position for the constant power for the car phone kit. The "fuse box" 211-545-09-01 and "spring connector" 011-545-84-26 worked for me. There are other part numbers which are presumably for different colors and wire sizes.

I think I may have been able to do a similar addition to the fuse block in the trunk to pick up ignition switched power. But, I chose to tap into the lighter circuit in the ashtray. Since I wanted to supply ignition power to three devices (car phone kit, car phone charger, Garmin C340 GPS, I needed to come up with an approach to let me attach three power leads. I soldered a single pigtail with a 1/4" blade connector to the positive and negative leads in the lighter socket connector. Then I crimped the three positive leads and three negative leads into matching connectors. I used in line fuses to protect the Garmin and IHF 1000 circuits. I did not add an additional fuse for the car phone charger.

I disassembled the car phone charger to add postive and negative "extension" leads so that I could do a hidden install of the phone charger. Snaking the USB power connector under the edge of the console was a bit tedious. Trick seemed to be to make sure the cable was routed below all of the existing cables in the console. Also, if you pull the carpet out from under the console, make sure you protect the sides of the console so they are not scratched by the back side of the carpeting which is fairly rough.

I also disassembled the Garmin socket, but it did not include a circuit board like the car phone charger socket.

(DSC02503s.jpg)

(DSC02482s.jpg)

(DSC02484s.jpg)

(DSC02486s.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02503s.jpg (44KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments DSC02482s.jpg (46KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments DSC02484s.jpg (26KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments DSC02486s.jpg (45KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1